android
Old 06-10-2011, 07:34 PM

Default G4Oblivion's Clip+ Build dcba741M-130407 (2013-04-07) & v3.9 (2011-11-27)

G4Oblivion's Clip+ Rockbox Build: dcba741M-130407 (2013-04-07)
Based off of Rockbox current git

Downloads:
G4Oblivions's keymap: [CLIP+][dcba741M-130407]G4Oblivion.zip
dfkt's keymap: [CLIP+][dcba741M-130407][dfkt]G4Oblivion.zip
Default Rockbox keymap: [CLIP+][dcba741M-130407][NoK]G4Oblivion.zip

Bootloader: clppa.bin

Patches Included:
g4oblivionkeymap.patch: Changes to the Clip keymap
FS#9305: Context sensitive backlight on key press
FS#11304: "Audiophile" patch
FS#11473: New bookmarking option: One per track
FS#12596: dfkt's keymap
G#393: Reverse stereo config option
armeabigcc447.patch: Update the arm compiler to the final stable release of 4.4.x

Patches removed since v3.9 stable build:
FS#11891: Add mp3 gap skipping support to improve gapless
This was removed because it was reported that it was broken against current git.

Patches commited since v3.9 stable build:
FS#10849: Dedicated sleep timer menu with persistent duration and "on power up" option
FS#11767: Meier Crossfeed
FS#12111: Disables output mixer AGC (automatic gain control)
FS#12132: Database improvements

Patch Pack: PatchPack[v4.1].tar
The patch pack includes all patches used in the build.
================================================== ==================================================
G4Oblivion's Clip+ Rockbox Build (outdated): r31078M-111127 (2011-11-27)
Based off of Rockbox v3.9 stable branch

Download: [CLIP+][r31078M-111127]G4Oblivion.zip

Included Patches:
g4oblivionkeymap.patch: Changes to the Clip keymap
FS#9305: Context sensitive backlight on key press
FS#10849: Dedicated sleep timer menu with persistent duration and "on power up" option
FS#11304: "Audiophile" patch
FS#11473: New bookmarking option: One per track
FS#11767: Meier Crossfeed (V2)
FS#11891: Add mp3 gap skipping support to improve gapless playback
FS#12111: Disables output mixer AGC (automatic gain control)
FS#12132: Database improvements
• Backported r30116, r30571, r30579 and r30743. Please see this thread for details: Rockbox Forums.

Patch Pack: PatchPackV3.tar
The patch pack includes all patches used in the build.
================================================== ==================================================

Keymap Changes
(only apply to the build using G4Oblivion's keymap):
• Long-Home is now lock/unlock in the WPS
• Short-Power is now Quickscreen in both the tree browser and WPS
• Long-Home is now Return to WPS in tree browser
• Long-Power is now STOP instead of Short-Power in both the tree browser and WPS

Known Issues (only apply to the build using G4Oblivion's keymap):
• Playback is not stopped before shutting down if shutdown from the quickscreen.
• If HOME button is held down too long, it will lock and then unlock.

How to install:
• Extract the contents of the zip archive to the root directory of the player (e.g: E:\.rockbox, E:\clppa.bin)
• Safely remove the device, unplug USB and wait for the firmware update to finish.

For more detailed installation instructions, see the rockbox manual

Disclaimer:
• Even though the bootloader installation and rockbox itself are tested, there's always a risk of BRICKING your device PERMANENTLY. Some Sansa AMS (m200 v4, C200 v2, Clip v2) have no known method for recovery, so this risk will not go away, even in (if any) future stable releases.
• There's no known user-friendly recovery method for the AMS Sansas, those of them who can be unbricked (not all of them can) need to be physically opened, and they can be potentially damaged in the process.
• Installation of a bootloader may or may not permanently disable DRM support, even if you uninstall it (this might only be true if you change the Date/Time settings).
• mkamsboot will reject OF files which were not tested by us. If you try to patch a newer firmware, it will refuse. Use an older firmware.

Last edited by G4Oblivion; 04-07-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Convert dates to follow ISO 8601

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4Oblivion View Post
I'm not a fan of some of the other patches included in dfkt's that cannot be disabled.
What can't be 'disabled' in my builds?

9305, 10849, 11577, 11891, channel swap - they all can be disabled.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
What can't be 'disabled' in my builds?

9305, 10849, 11577, 11891, channel swap - they all can be disabled.
I haven't personally used your build, but I believe there was one that attempted to add gapless playback for files missing LAME encoder settings.
IIRC when I read the Flyspray, it said it cannot be enabled/disabled in the menu. Has this changed? I may have read it incorrectly.

Meant patch, not patch(s). I'll correct original post.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
I haven't personally used your build, but I believe there was one that attempted to add gapless playback for files missing LAME encoder settings.
Its disabled if the file can be decoded gaplessly. What else do you want?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Its disabled if the file can be decoded gaplessly. What else do you want?
An ability to toggle it on and off? Some people may not want gapless playback, or in case they experience an issue with the patch.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
An ability to toggle it on and off?
See patch tracker.

Quote:
Some people may not want gapless playback, or in case they experience an issue with the patch.
Then they're out of luck because turning it off won't fix the sort of problems you'd see with this patch. If you want to avoid problems, use an mp3 encoder from the last decade.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 PM

Not sure how I missed that. As long as there is an option to disable it, I'm fine with it.
Sorry about that dfkt. I thought I saw something about it not being able to be disabled

Lol, there are so many mp3's floating around on the internet.

Last edited by G4Oblivion; 06-13-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Removed quote making it easier to read and save page size

Old 06-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Administrator

G4Oblivion, after you edit your initial post in this thread to change the build I would add another post to the thread. Something as simple as "first post updated" and whatever changes that have been made is all that's needed. Just a short "added xxxxx" "removed yyyyy".

When you do that vs. simply editing the first post it creates a new post notification that would help people know that you've made changes. If you just edit the original post there no notification that it's been edited. The way you are doing it now it seems as if the build posted now (06/11/2011) is the only one that you've posted.

Also just posting "FS#13132 (0006 & 0007)" gives no hint as to what behavior you expect to be added or changed by a particular patch. For all anyone knows that's the "trigger spontaneous combustion" patch.

This is from the point of view of someone that's tested quite a few custom builds. I'm always on the lookout for a little something extra. I come over and check things right away when I see someone has updated their build. Without that "new posts" notice no one's likely to continue to check to see what's been done.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:07 PM

Build Update: r29992M-110611 (06/11/2011)

Download: [CLIP+][r29992M 110611]G4Oblivion.zip

Patches added:
FS#9305 Context sensitive backlight on key press
FS#11891 Add mp3 gap skipping support to improve gapless playback
FS#12132 (0006 & 0007)

FS#9305: Allows the backlight not to be activated on certain key presses

FS#11891: Allows gapless playback of mp3's missing/not encodeded with gapless playback information

"FS#12132: patch 6, part 1: tagnavi.config: Add support for string
truncation in tagnavi %formats using the standard
"%{width}.{truncation}s" format syntax.

String truncation is especially useful when using part of a string
tag, filename, or basename for sorting and %strip'ing. (Basename
support is forthcoming in a subsequent commit.)

Also renovated the format_str() code a bit (improved structuring,
removed code duplication) and increased the maximum length of a printf
conversion specification to 20 characters.

FS#12132: patch 6, part 2: tagnavi.config: Add support for "basename"
in formats and conditions. The basename is the non-directory part of
a file's pathname.

FS#12132: patch 7: Add a new default format for untagged tracks:
Display the file's base name instead of "<Untagged>"."

I do not have any untagged files to test FS#12132, but I know how much that used to annoy me. 0001-0005 are already in SVN.
If you experience any issues with the patches or think one should be removed, please tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
G4Oblivion, after you edit your initial post in this thread to change the build I would add another post to the thread. Something as simple as "first post updated" and whatever changes that have been made is all that's needed. Just a short "added xxxxx" "removed yyyyy".

When you do that vs. simply editing the first post it creates a new post notification that would help people know that you've made changes. If you just edit the original post there no notification that it's been edited. The way you are doing it now it seems as if the build posted now (06/11/2011) is the only one that you've posted.

Also just posting "FS#12132 (0006 & 0007)" gives no hint as to what behavior you expect to be added or changed by a particular patch. For all anyone knows that's the "trigger spontaneous combustion" patch.

This is from the point of view of someone that's tested quite a few custom builds. I'm always on the lookout for a little something extra. I come over and check things right away when I see someone has updated their build. Without that "new posts" notice no one's likely to continue to check to see what's been done.
Really sorry about that. I patched, compiled and packaged in ~20min. this morning. I was short on time.
Just logged back on to change it and saw your post :P I'll edit this post and add details about the update.

Last edited by G4Oblivion; 10-29-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Thanks for understanding. I've got dfkt's build installed right now. When I get the chance I'll install yours and let you know if I see any performance or functionality changes. I don't have any untagged files AFAIK. But it won't hurt to see if that patch changes anything.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM

I've made a couple of minor patches that I use on my own build - would you consider including the following:

1) Minor keymap change
I swapped the mapping of the "return to WPS" button to be a long hold on the home button. The quick screen is now accessed by home+power. It's now easy to get back to the WPS, even without looking at the clip.

2) Remove 'All Tracks' and 'Random; from database view
Self-explanatory - these items appear at the top of every view when browsing the database. I can't remember ever wanting to use them and they take up screen space, so I've removed them.

If you're interested I can email/post the patches here.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Thanks for understanding. I've got dfkt's build installed right now. When I get the chance I'll install yours and let you know if I see any performance or functionality changes. I don't have any untagged files AFAIK. But it won't hurt to see if that patch changes anything.
If I remember correctly, I' missing FS#10849 and channel swap from dfkt's, possibly more.

FS#10849 was the second patch I tried to apply. I could not get it to apply cleanly, though
I don't think anyone created a Flyspray for channel swap and I do not know how to go about doing it myself. I don't think this is a feature people would use more than once or twice.

I use Ubuntu 10.10 (GCC 4.4.5) for compatibility and stability. I believe dfkt uses 10.04 (GCC 4.4.3), so there shouldn't be a performance, compatibility or stability difference caused by the way it was built. Only performance changes should be caused by the patches and revision used.

I backup my source folder before I try to apply a patch and if it fails, I try it till it succeeds. I then delete the source folder and restore the backup and apply the patch cleanly. I always do a complete re-compile (re-run ../tools/configure) for each release.
The chance of any problems caused by not doing these are small, but I would like to avoid future issues.

(I'm in no way trying to say my build is better than dfkt's or anyone elses. Both builds are different and I trust his builds. I just wanted to explain what I do before a release so people know I make sure there are no problems caused by the way I build it.)

Last edited by G4Oblivion; 06-11-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted209 View Post
I've made a couple of minor patches that I use on my own build - would you consider including the following:

1) Minor keymap change
I swapped the mapping of the "return to WPS" button to be a long hold on the home button. The quick screen is now accessed by home+power. It's now easy to get back to the WPS, even without looking at the clip.

2) Remove 'All Tracks' and 'Random; from database view
Self-explanatory - these items appear at the top of every view when browsing the database. I can't remember ever wanting to use them and they take up screen space, so I've removed them.

If you're interested I can email/post the patches here.
I can make a build with those, but I would like to test them myself and hear what other people think.

I'm not a fan of e-mail, so if you want, you can PM me with them or post them here. Whichever is easiest for you.
I can probably have it built by this evening and I'll post it here. (1-3 hours.)

1) Just to confirm, this makes it to where I don't have to use both hands to unlock and lock my Clip? If so, hellz yeah I'll add it.
EDIT: I figured out how to do it myself after some trial and error. I plan on updating the build, but I'll wait a bit if you want to post the patch to remove 'Random'

2) I browse my music by using e.g: 'Artists -> Rob Zombie -> All Tracks', so if I'm unable to do that anymore, I don't think I'll add it.
I see nothing wrong with removing 'Random', though.

Last edited by G4Oblivion; 06-13-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Lots of typos. Sorry

Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 PM

Build Update: r29993M-110611 (06/11/2011)

Download: [CLIP+][r29993M 110611]G4Oblivion.zip

Patches added:
• FS#_____ Home button long press is now lock/unlock in WPS. Quickscreen is now Home+Power in WPS & Tree Browser

I created the patch myself, that is why there is no FS number.
Home button long press is now lock/unlock instead of Quickscreen in WPS. Quickscreen is now Home+Power in WPS & Tree Browser.

These changes make it much easier to change tracks and settings.

Advantages:
• It only takes one hand to lock/unlock the player
• Easier to switch from OF to Rockbox
• Pocket friendly

Disadvantages:
• Getting used to the new setup
• Possibility of player lock/unlocking itself inside your pocket
• The people that MUST have quickscreen as 'HOME' can no longer use it with 'HOME'

Credit to ted209 for the Home+Power quickscreen suggestion.

(sorry for triple post)

Last edited by G4Oblivion; 10-29-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added DL Link

Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I backup my source folder before I try to apply a patch and if it fails, I try it till it succeeds. I then delete the source folder and restore the backup and apply the patch cleanly. I always do a complete re-compile (re-run ../tools/configure) for each release.
The chance of any problems caused by not doing these are small, but I would like to avoid future issues.
FWIW you can undo a patch by typing "svn revert -R ." in the root of your check out. Although if the patch added any new files that are not under SVN's control, those won't be deleted.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Just to clarify, my patch switches the "long home" and "home+power" mappings. I think this is different to yours, as yours appears to switch the "home+select" and "home+power" mappings.

Originally "home+power" calls the ACTION_TREE_WPS function, which takes you directly to the WPS (unless you're deep into another menu, in which case you may have to do a 'short home' press first). The idea is that wherever you are, pressing home once, then long-pressing it will mean you're always back at the WPS. This way you can't get 'lost' in the menu system, or if it's in your pocket and you've moved out of the WPS (accidentally entering the menu system) you can get right back by pressing one button.

I think the keymapping on the clip is far from perfect, and it was very frustrating when I first started using Rockbox (the rest of Rockbox is virtually perfect!).
My main gripe is that it's not easy to get 'back to base' when you're playing around in the submenus (or browsing files). It would be just fine if you could hammer 'home' a few times to return to the WPS (or even the main menu), however pressing 'home' on the main menu puts you back in a previous submenu (a confusing and useless mapping for me!).

Old 06-12-2011, 08:33 AM

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I'll look into it in a bit.
I seem to have misunderstood how rockbox's keymapping works.

I did not see a button combo that uses 'Home+Power'. 'Return to WPS' is 'Home+Select' in the tree browser.

Test Build:
Download: [REMOVED]

In this build I changed 'Return to WPS' from 'Home+Select' to 'Long Home' in the tree browser.
This build has all patches included in my original build at the top of the page.
Please tell me if it works as you intended.

I was able to remove 'Random' by reverting FS#6960. This is not included in the provided test build.

Last edited by G4Oblivion; 06-15-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: I deleted the test build

Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 PM

Status update:

I plan on updating to the latest SVN either later today or tomrrow.
The build will contain the suggestions by ted209
• Long home is now Return to WPS instead of home+select in the tree browser
• Remove '<Random>' from database browser

I would like to find a better alternative for quickscreen, though I'm not promising anything.

Battery life with patches:
16 hours 6 minutes
FS#9305, FS#11767 and FS#11891 were disabled/not used.
LAME CBR 192kbps -56dB
Clip+ variant 1
(This was through normal use; not a benchmark.)

Power button/Stop issue:
Short press stops playback just fine. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.
I would like to change it to long press so music is stopped before powering off. Your place/time in track is still remembered when playback is stopped.
This is the way it works on my Nano 2g (though, it doesn't have a power button, I'm guessing that's why.)

On a side note:
Custom builds and patches seem to be being bashed by rockbox dev's, so please, none of that here.
I built this for people that want these patches and keymap changes.

I for one, love these patches and being able to easily navigate my player with one hand.

Let me make it clear that not all patches are being "bashed", just the ones that are not aiming to be committed. A good example is FS#11304.
FS#11304 makes changes that make almost no difference and lower battery life (a tiny bit).

For 'true' audiophiles, even though they can't 'hear' the difference, they know its there. That's all that matters to them.
*cough* OSS, wth *cough*

Last edited by G4Oblivion; 10-29-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Build Update: r30006M-110615 (06/15/2011)

Download: [CLIP+][r30006M-110615]G4Oblivion.zip

New naming for the Zip archive since it was getting too long.
[Target][Revision-Date]UserName

Patches added:
FS#_____: G4Oblivion's Clip+ Keymap
• FS#_____: Removed '<Random>' from database browser

Keymap Changes:
• Long-Home in tree browser is now 'Return to WPS'
• Long-Power is now STOP instead of Short-Power in both the tree browser and WPS

Removed '<Random>' from database browser - Suggested by ted209
Long-Home in tree browser is now Return to WPS - Suggested by ted209

I changed stop playback from short-power(button press and release) to long-power like done on the iPod ports.
This ensures that playback is stopped before shutting down.
All you have to do is hold power for half a second instead of pressing and releasing.

(sorry for triple post)

Last edited by G4Oblivion; 10-26-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Does this version [r30006M-110615] support detect USB in rockbox mod ?
I tried many ver but it not success yet !
@G4Oblivion : could you check it ? pls !