android
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Default Is the Zen x-fi2 a decent purchase?

I am in the market for a new mp3 player, I have the original zen x-fi but it is starting to have some problems. I was wondering if the zen x-fi 2 was a good replacement. Is the touchscreen responsive, it's resistive which is a downside but does it require a lot of force and is it laggy? Also does this device break much or have any problems? Also would you reccomend this over the Samsung yp-r1?

Much obliged
-dswizzle9

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Most users report that the touchscreen isn't the best but very usable when you get used to it. Doesn't take much pressure, but like you say, it's not capacitive..

Since you are already familiar with Zen firmware I don't think you will have problems with the X-Fi2's. The screen is bigger but less colors, furthermore it would be an upgrade if you want applications and TVout.

How big are those problems you are having? Big enough to buy a new one? I can't compare it with Samsung since I don't have that one, maybe have a look at the Samsung R1 forums.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Thank you, the problems I have are long start ups (like 20 plus seconds), the occasional but increasingly more often freeze, and the audio sometimes switches to speaker from headphones.
If you know any solutions to those problems that would be great.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswizzle9 View Post
Thank you, the problems I have are long start ups (like 20 plus seconds), the occasional but increasingly more often freeze, and the audio sometimes switches to speaker from headphones.
If you know any solutions to those problems that would be great.
Long startups (and perhaps freezes) can be caused by large files on the player.
Switching to headphone, sounds like a loose connector either in the headphones used or in the jack on the player, which makes it think they are disconnected.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 02-23-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3disappointed View Post
I have not been impressed with my X-Fi2, but then again maybe its just the whole 'genre' of mps players.
Not playing .wav files
Not synching with Zen software
General frustration in not finding answer to simple questions - within literature and in forums.
And I'm just trying to carry out simple 'duh' tasks.

Shouldn't say it, but my daughter recommends an ipod.
You can drag and drop with the original ZEN, perhaps you can ditch the software and just do that?

Using .wav files on a DAP is idiotic.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Digital Audio Player - better name for mp3 player.

Please just use mp3. . . and the LAME encoder. . . problems solved.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
I did convert the .wav into a mp3 using the LAME encoder and Audacity - and the new mp3 file was still not recognised.
Make sure the mp3 file has been tagged appropriately otherwise it might well not appear in the lists on your X-Fi2. (Almost any media player you use on your computer should be able to write mp3 tags for you.)

Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 AM

It might be annoying to have to use multiple software, but for me MP3tag is the best software for tagging MP3 files. I use Media Monkey to transfer music to my DAP's, and I have noticed that its tagging leaves a lot to be desired.
Enter MP3tag, and not more strange or missing tags that Media Monkey can cause.

It sounds like a sales pitch, but MP3tag is freeware, and once you get the hang of it, very easy to use.
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...

Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 AM

I'm glad that MP3tag works for you. I find it very useful for tagging MP3 files.

I think Satellite 6 means that wav files are completely uncompressed, i.e. they are very big when it comes to size. In that case it is better to either use a compressed lossless format (such as FLAC) or a compressed lossy format (such as MP3). Then you will get more files on your MP3 player. I do not know if the X-fi2 supports FLAC or other lossless formats, so perhaps the best is to convert to MP3. If you convert to VBR0 (maximum setting for variable bitrate) or CBR 320 (constant bitrate), you will get good quality and can tranfer much more to your Creative player than if you were to use wav files...

People might argue that CBR320 is a waste of space and that you get the same quality with VBR0 but smaller size files. I usually convert to VBR0.
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...

Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks Danneq,
1. I converted my wav into an mp3 - and the DAP did not recognise it.
2. I did as you suggested, downloaded the software and added the appropriate tags to the mp3 and - the DAP recognised it.

OK. Satellite6 stated "Using .wav files on a DAP is idiotic. "
Can you explain briefly why?
I have quite a bit of music here as a wav format and it would make life easier if I did not have to convert it all to mp3.
Thanks again.
Well if you can fit all your music on the DAP in .wav then go for it, but it's really a waste of space.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 PM

To be honest I wouldn't buy the X-fi2 if I had to buy a new one. Personally i think the screen is really bad and none-responsive, but other than that it is fine.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 PM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

Quote:
To be honest I wouldn't buy the X-fi2 if I had to buy a new one. Personally i think the screen is really bad and none-responsive, but other than that it is fine.
The screen is responsive enough (for me anyways), you just need to use a fingernail or stylus ( it is a resistive screen).

Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 PM

have had zero problems with mine (6months). the software one the comp to load music is kind of weak, but love the player.

Tags
purchase, zen