android
Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 AM

Default Bbe? Flac?

Hi everyone
I am interested in the Cowon i9 and I have a few newb questions.
OK so this cowon i9 has a custom eq and 'BBE'
What on earth is BBE? Apparently it enhances the sound.
How do you customise the BBE? or is it a built in thing.
Can someone explain what BBE is and what it does and how you apply it.
Is it a bar? or do you turn it on and off, or is it passive??

How does the sound on a cowon compare with Creative products (5 custom eq) and samsung dnse (dont even know what dnse is but my p2 had lots of equalizer settings with other stuff like 'bass' 'clarity' etc.
I have been VERY VERY satisfied with my past creative and samsung products but it's time for an upgrade!

I am also unfimiliar with FLAC, is it an easy process to just convert to FLAC? and is the sound quality better than mp3?
Also what computer software should I use to play FLAC if I am going to convert all my files to FLAC.
THANKS A BUNCH because I am excited AS to get a cowon hoorahh

Last edited by cimore000; 04-07-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2010, 11:58 AM

AAH! Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimore000 View Post
Hi everyone
I am interested in the Cowon i9 and I have a few newb questions.
OK so this cowon i9 has a custom eq and 'BBE'
What on earth is BBE? Apparently it enhances the sound.
You got it. It's like dnse, but better. Google it. One setting adds some detail, another deepens bass, and another makes it more stereolicious.
How do you customise the BBE? or is it a built in thing.
I'm not sure how to do it on the i9, but on the s9 you go to settings, jeteffect, and pick a custom. You can customize up to four configs or use presets. It's right in with the custom eq.
Can someone explain what BBE is and what it does and how you apply it.
Is it a bar? or do you turn it on and off, or is it passive??
By default it is off, you have to enable it yourself.

How does the sound on a cowon compare with Creative products (5 custom eq) and samsung dnse (dont even know what dnse is but my p2 had lots of equalizer settings with other stuff like 'bass' 'clarity' etc.
I have been VERY VERY satisfied with my past creative and samsung products but it's time for an upgrade!
I admire how you can legitimately ask a question without using a question mark. Cowon sound is considered among the best, although some don''t like it. But it's mostly undisputed that it has the greatest custom eq. So no worries.

I am also unfimiliar with FLAC, is it an easy process to just convert to FLAC? and is the sound quality better than mp3?
FLAC is a lossless format, equivalent in quality to cd, while mp3 is lossy, meaning it is lower quality than a cd. So, if you wanted better files, you could use flac. But here's the problem: you'll have to re-rip from cd to flac, because mp3 is lower quality, the data just isn't there. Converting mp3 to flac can be compared to sticking a bmw sticker on a golf cart - sure, people might think it's a beamer, but it still sucks.

I should add, though, that it you are using well-encoded mp3s, like lame vbr v0 or 320k, then you probably won't hear the difference between it and flac. For the most part, flac is just a waste of space - you usually only have it for the sake of a high-quality backup.
Also what computer software should I use to play FLAC if I am going to convert all my files to FLAC.
Basically any media player other than wmp and itunes. You'lll find one you like eventually, just check out winamp, mediamonkey, and foobar2000. I use foobar.
THANKS A BUNCH because I am excited AS to get a cowon hoorahh
Welcome to ABI!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 PM

ultrauber FYI "I'm not sure how to do it on the i9, but on the s9 you go to settings, jeteffect ..." same on i9

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 01-26-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 PM

http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/index.htm

Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM

First off I have a Cowon O2, its the best ever. love it to death.
In short what BBE does in Enhance sound qualities lost during compression.
(From your CD, tracks are turned into wav. Then converted to mp3. which if you compare the two side by side you can tell a big difference in quality.) Take my word for it, It is the Best thing your ever gonna hear for your mp3s. Coupled with all the features on Cowon players, you can't beat it. Put your BBE at 10 or highest it can go.
Compared to others brands, i still say cowon. A search from cnet or something pulled up results for the highest quality mp3 players, Cowon, Creative and Samsung were the highest, I compared all models side by side and cowon won everytime.
Yes FLAC is lossless format like wav. It should sound better than 320 kbps mp3s.
Great thing about Cowon is very few mp3 players support it. You dont ever want to convert FLAC, it would be like deep frying an apple. Oh and you cant convert lossly formats like mp3 to lossless ones. In theory you can, but you will Not improve the sound quality. (probable just make it worse)

I looked for a decent FLAC player with no luck, Then I started using Cowon's Media player,*duh me* It it very very good, And it has gapless playback! You do need to pay extra for the Features like BBE (which makes so much scene i just bought the portable player..) but it is great, I dont even use windowns media player anymore.

Get ANYTHING but a ipod!

Old 06-12-2011, 02:16 AM

The BBE headphone settings, which I find to be the most useful settings, appear to be BBE's answer to Dolby headphone, which can be found on Cyberlink PowerDVD and ASUS soundcard drivers.

Arcsoft TotalMedia theater has DTS surround sensation, but that technology only works on surround sound sources whereas Dolby headphone works on whatever you give it.