android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon X7

Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 PM

Kind of typical for online support drones, doesn't make it acceptable though. Will the vendor accept a return? It's going to be very interesting to see if they issue firmware with anything about database rebuilds in the notes sometime, I'm guessing there's a bug in there somewhere, maybe caused by bad tags, maybe by size during rebuild, who knows.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 PM

although i can feel your pain and anger you purchased it through exportprive.com. it's an exporter, cowon did nothing wrong.

you have to see that this is a device from "cowon korea" and not from "cowon america". that's exactly the reason why i abstain from buying gadgets from countries that aren't in the EU/in europe.

i only ever ordered a case from rearth and a charger for cheap, cause i know i won't send them back if they are faulty.

and don't blame this behavior on cowon alone. i'm pretty sure every single big company's support system is the same.

think global, buy local.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 AM

Default Latest udpate...

So I really have to return it. And exportprive.com are very nice and helpful. They are in Korea but systematically answer the phone and speak French and English, and have an online procedure for returns. They tell me they are located very close to the Cowon after-sales so they bring it themselves...we'll see how it goes !

Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=deadohiosky;526545]although i can feel your pain and anger you purchased it through exportprive.com. it's an exporter, cowon did nothing wrong.

Apart from the fact that they are selling a product which for no apparent reason crashes and is not recoverable for the user, like almost any other MP3 Player!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:14 PM

I also got a response from Cowon on 28th, when I originally sent them eMail in the 21st or so.

Dear Mr. Lastname

Thank you for using COWON X7.

Please tell me where you purchased your device.

This is used for BUSINESS proposals only.
If you have further questions, please post them on the Q&A board at our website [SUPPORT - Q&A ]. Then, we will answer your questions and help you as much as possible.

This is a post-only mailing. Thank you for your cooperation.

Best Regards

Cowon

Pretty cold in my opinion. Lucky for them I got it fixed -- although the player doesn't recognize the tags in songs now. It just shows the song name in the Now Playing -screen as gibberish.. But at least it's working -__-

Firmware updates please.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Default @Kiiskinen

What they are not telling you is that if you post in the Q&A as I first did, they do not answer AT ALL. I've been waiting for over a week...

Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
What they are not telling you is that if you post in the Q&A as I first did, they do not answer AT ALL. I've been waiting for over a week...
Cowon aren't bad with their replies. I have asked them many questions before but they go silent if they don't know the answer. They are always courteous, even if you send an angry email!
The last time I wrote, it was about album art spread over the screen and not showing all of it. They replied and here it is.

Dear xxx

Thank you for using COWON X7.

We do appreciate a suggestion you submitted. Your suggestion has been reported to our research team. They will try to refer to your suggestion as much as possible, however, we're not able to know when or whether it will be supported. If it is possible, it will be noticed on our website.

Thanks again for using the customer support at cowonglobal.com.

Regards,

COWON

Old 01-08-2011, 02:49 PM

another thing i noticed which might help
do not put anything in the flash.
everytime i store photos in flash and set a wallpaper , it made my cowon x7 freeze.
so i had to repeat the steps i posted on my last post and left the wallpaper default.
player is running smoothly, no crashes or freezes at all .

Old 01-10-2011, 01:41 AM

Hi, i don't actually own a x7 but i wanted to add something to the thread.

I recently got a J3 32gb also from exportprive and i managed to brick it under windows 7, which supposedly shouldn't happen... it was working ok, 5 days of normal usage, loaded 14gb of music at once with no problems, updated the firmware to the latest, and later i tried to load two albums (mp3 and flac) and it bricked.

Same error as others, startup screen, bar loads 50% and then it stops, cannot see the j3 as a usb device on my computer either... the thing is that i knew from the forums that this didn't happen under windows... and then i checked on my pc that two of the filenames on the mp3 album i transfered were really long and were mostly japanese characters, so i'm thinking, maybe the j3 (and maybe the x7 too) actually bricks because it can't read long filenames and/or uncommon characters? i'm thinking that, even tho i did have more mp3s with japanese characters on them (both filenames and id3 tags). also tried using tcctool and nothing... so most likely i'm going to have trouble RMAing it as well, lol.

Just wanted to share that, because maybe a combination of characters/long filenames choke cowon players? maybe it can be the cause to all the bricking.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:58 PM

For people with the file update = brick problem, I have a question:

Was the internal flash getting quite full?

I only thought to ask because my father was telling me about his new Satnav, which fails to update if you don't make space on the device first for the working files during rebuild, I wonder if the Cowons need some space while rebuilding the database?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 AM

the manual says 5mb needed on the device to function correctly... and i've seen several people with gbs left of space and their unit bricked anyway (my case, i had 10+gb unused)

Old 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM

Default A product from the sixties!

I am sorry to say this, I am not usually prone to this kind of emotional outburst, but the Cowon X7 is the crappiest product it has been my misfortune to spend a considerable amount of money on in recent years. I had actually been able to make the drives accessible again by letting the battery run down completely (yeah, duh!) so I formatted the drive and put some songs in the music folder. Restarted the thing: no music visible (another well known phenomenon). On another forum I found the hint that to resolve this one had to put a song in the root directory. So I put a single lonely song in the root directory, and now.... I AM STUCK IN THE 'UPDATING DATABASE' LOOP AGAIN. Aren't there any laws about selling such products? I may have come across something like this in the very early days of computing, but this is the 21st century! Oh, actually... after five minutes of updating (there are 2 songs on it, after all), it has come to live again, but still.... NO MUSIC! If it hadn't been so expensive, I would just throw it in the garbage!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 AM

Hi, My Cowon X7, bought from Korea(through one of the friends visited KR) is dead now... no response whatsoever... connected to the power left it for many hours but no indication that it is charging... also reset button does not respond... Almost a brick now.... The website in Korean does not help... Any suggestions please? Where is the nearest location that can I send it to for repairing...

Forgot to mention - I live in Singapore as of now...

Old 05-10-2011, 04:24 PM

Where to buy Cowon X7 to get best return policy?

I'm thinking of just buying from a Danish reseller as the need by law to offer two years of warranty.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 AM

Uploaded files once, realized that ID3 integration was weak, so I renamed the files on my PC with mp3tag. I emptied the music folder on the Cowon and uploaded a new library with standardized file names onto the Cowon. After the transfer finished, I had me a brick. I restarted it several times, and even plugged it in and waited a few days for it to finish "updating database." Once these things get stuck, there's no fixing them. I emailed Cowon several days ago, and haven't heard back. Terrible. I'm glad it bricked itself so quickly though. Looking forward to my refund from Amazon.