android
Old 04-21-2011, 05:54 AM

Default Rockbox'd Clip+; how to stop "Refreshing Your Media"?

I can't use USB in Rockbox'd mode for whatever reason, and it takes forever to do this and there is no conceivable way of stopping it. I've even tried copying onto the MicroSD, removing the Micro SD and then unplugging it.

This is really frustrating as I often tend to want to load an album on suddenly before I go into town or for a walk, it seems silly to have to dedicate time to planning this out. With Rockbox I can just play it straight from the folder, and it's much quicker to update, I can also listen to music while it's updating.

Is there any kind of solution?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I was under the impression that USB mode has not yet been formally implemented for the Clip+, and that, instead, one needs to boot into the OF for USB mode.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 AM

Because USB mode is not implemented yet on the Clip+, Rockbox boots the original firmware when you connect via USB. The OF always checks for changes when it boots so it will always do the 'Refreshing Your Media' thing when it detects new files on internal and external memory, both when connecting and disconnecting.

The length of time it takes to refresh seems to depend on how complex the tagging of your files is. For me it takes ages, probably I suspect because, for simplicity, I use the same files on all my DAPs and they have embedded album art.

To get round this I rarely change the internal memory on my 8GB Clip+. I have my 'core' music on there - stuff I'll always want. Anything else goes on the microSD card, and I remove it from the Clip+ and use an adapter to update it externally, rather than mounted in the Clip+. Then I insert it back into the Clip+, boot into Rockbox and tell it to update the database. When I charge the unit I use an external adapter. This has the added benefit that I don't waste 5% of the battery charge doing the 'Refreshing Your Media' thing when I unplug it, as happens when charging it via the PC.

If you must charge via a PC, take out the microSD card and as long as you haven't changed the internal memory you avoid the refresh.

Works for me anyway...

Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 PM

Well, two options that have worked for me in the past.

1) Hold down the power switch and force the player off. Hold it for ~10 seconds while "refreshing" is up on the screen, and the player will shut down. Then just boot into Rockbox.

2) If you can manage to find a build (somewhere in this forum maybe?) that has USB enabled, you can delete the "##MUSIC#" and "##PORT#" folders from the internal storage (which frees up some memory too), then cram the internal memory full until there's only ~50 megs left. (Works on my Fuze anyways, I'm pretty sure it works the same on the Clip). This will cause the Clip to show "Please free x megs!" and just shut off, allowing you to boot into Rockbox and go from there. YMMV et al.

Good luck.
SoundMagic PL50|SoundMagic PL30|Bang&Olufsen Form 2

Last edited by sunami88; 04-21-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunami88 View Post
2) If you can manage to find a build (somewhere in this forum maybe?) that has USB enabled, you can delete the "##MUSIC#" and "##PORT#" folders from the internal storage (which frees up some memory too), then cram the internal memory full until there's only ~50 megs left. (Works on my Fuze anyways, I'm pretty sure it works the same on the Clip). This will cause the Clip to show "Please free x megs!" and just shut off, allowing you to boot into Rockbox and go from there. YMMV et al.

Good luck.
You don't need a USB enabled build, just delete the folders with the Rockbox folder browser.
Then plug it on your computer and fill up the memory with music.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 AM

It's awkward to always have it filled up though.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:26 AM

filling up the internal memory didnt work for me on my clip+. I just created a bunch of dead space files with only 3MB free.

-- update --

nevermind. it worked after i installed a USB enabled rockbox version and deleted the ## folders.

-- update --

figured it out. filled the drive up. then renamed the ## folders while booted to rockbox. or you can delete the ## folders and copy files over from the microsd card to the player.

Last edited by rEUD0yNGneUGi9n; 05-31-2011 at 12:45 AM.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Administrator

I don't find that it needs to be a USB enabled build for this workaround to work properly. Just finished testing it with todays current build and it works just fine. If it didn't work before I'd have to believe you weren't following the directions properly.

I have been following these instructions with standard builds since the day Progweed first posted them with 100% success. The amount the player needs to be filled may vary depending on the internal storage and model. However I find no need for a USB enabled build for this to work correctly.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 PM

Couldn't I just use the USB enabled build and use it in USB mode in Rockbox and never go into the Sansa stuff? Isn't that the point of USB enabled?

Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Administrator

There's nothing stopping you from using Rockbox anyway you care to. It's a free software. The builds you get from the Rockbox site won't have USB enabled because it's not considered stable yet. That doesn't mean it's impossible to have USB enabled but you'll have to put in some effort to have it.

There is a patch that enables USB. There's some builds available here and other places I've seen that have use that patch. They're not hard to find if you search around a little. You could also compile your own build using that or any other patch you care to have. I don't use them because they have caused file corruption on my player in the past. Others have had good experiences with USB enabled builds. YMMV.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:38 PM

What I've found that's worked well is that if the internal memory has about 1 MB or less storage left, when I safely disconnect the Clip+ from the computer, there isn't enough internal storage left for the Clip+ original firmware to refresh the media, it states this on the Clip+ screen, then shuts off. Then, I just turn the Clip+ back on, it loads Rockbox, and I bypass the extended media refresh business. So, basically, I have all of the music on the internal storage that I like the most that I'll rarely want to delete, and I use my microsdhc card more to move music on and off of, which doesn't affect the refresh issue, as long as there's about 1 MB of space left on the internal storage. If for some reason, I feel like moving an album off of internal storage, I just take out some scratch paper, figure out how much space that'll free up, then move an album from my microsdhc card to internal storage that'll leave about 1 MB space free on the internal storage. I've been doing this for well over a year now, and it works well. I sometimes like to add an album and head out for a walk or want to listen right away, and this workaround makes this possible. I'm used to it, and it's not too much of a hassle until the USB function is stable with Rockbox. I recommend you give it a try.