android
Old 07-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Default How to create playlist with Content Transfer? (on S545)

I use Content Transfer to drag and drop files.
When I right click on a mp3 in my Walkman/MUSIC directory to create a playlist, it doesn't show up in Content Transfer. It says "Playlists 0 items". But it does show up in my Walkman strangely enough.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 AM

This is normal. Content Transfer doesn't like playlists for some reason.

As long as the playlists show up on your player and they work, is it really a problem?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Yes I can't edit/delete songs that way.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Administrator

I can't help you with Content Transfer. I found it buggy and unstable and uninstalled it after week of trying to get it to act right on my PC. To be fair I just didn't feel like playing around with it and I may not have explored all the options to get it up and going properly. In looking for other software I found that Winamp and MusicBee will both allow you to create and manipulate playlists that are made with files on the player. They also worked nicely as syncing software for me when I tried that.

You can work with playlists on a Sony by right clicking on an music file, folder or playlist in Windows Explorer. That brings up a context menu and you can create or work with playlists there. If you right click an existing playlist that brings up the Properties menu. If you open the References tab you can drop in new files or remove existing playlist items from there. Using the buttons to move items up or down and removing them is pretty clunky but it does work.

If you right click on a file or folder it brings up a context menu that includes "Create Playlist". Click on that and name the new playlist being sure to keep the .pla extension. You can leave your playlists where you create them or move them to the Playlists folder. The player will find them during the database refresh.

I haven't noticed any of the members who I remember that used CT around recently. You may want to try a forum search and see if there's any help there.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Yeah, the only real use Content Transfer has is to re-encode videos to fit onto the player... which is mostly pointless on the 320 x 240 screen the S540 series has. Hell, even the slightly bigger 400 x 240 screen on the A840 series isn't really worth it.

I'd suggest just using Windows to make and alter playlists. Sadly, Sony doesn't seem to believe in on-the-go playlist support. It's one of two gripes I have about the line *the other being larger capacities outside of Japan).

Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 PM

I managed to get playlists in Content Transfer. It's just a matter of luck to make it appear in the menu.

Thanks people.