android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative

Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 PM

Default Long time Nomad Jukebox Zen NX owner / changing the HDD correctly?

I bought the Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen NX 20GB model back in Nov 2003 for the grand price of $600. Expensive unit then. But the most reliable piece of electronics ive ever owned. Owned a 1st gen shuffle that didnt make it to a year and a half. So i went back to the Zen NX. 8years and the unit still turns on and works well, still regularly use it in 2011. But there is a problem, cannot copy some of the content i saved on the unit, its most likely corrupt and unretrievable now, however cannot delete the data either (through Creative File Manager 2) so i have a problem, so ive been looking for another identical or similar unit.

I went on a hunt to find another unit similar to mine recently. Either a Zen NX 20 or 30GB model, or Zen Xtra 40 or 60GB if i was lucky. Did find an identical Zen NX 20GB to mine, all in brilliant condition, and the previous owner left quite a good collection of music from 2003-2005 era on it. But i would like to upgrade the existing HDD on it.

Ive spent most of last night looking around on google trying to find link that would show me the correct method. All i was getting is dead links that are over half a decade old. Did find this forum though. Which is a win. Ive been looking through most of the threads and sticky threads in this part of the forum, got some questions answered, but not all. If i could get some of these answers that would be great.

What is the correct procedure in first disassembling the unit?

What do i do once ive installed the new HDD? Do i need to re-install drivers?

Im considering using; 60GB 2.5" Seagate Momentus 5400rpm Hard Drive that was once in my launch PS3 model. Will this effectively correctly function with my Nomad Jukebox Zen NX?

What is the formatting HDD limit? the recommended RPM limit? What should i do and shouldnt do?

And finally. Is it possible to install Solid Slate Drive into an old Zen NX / Xtra with it functioning correctly?

Appreciated any valuable responses from other owners.
Thank you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

As far as I know the same type of hardrive is in the Zen Xtra & Zen NX. Changing the drive should be easy. There is a teardown of a Zen Xtra http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=18208 I don't believe there is much difference between the 2 players so I would use that as a guide to replace the drive. Once you change the drive you would need to format it using the player to do so Then reload the firmware http://support.creative.com/download...ownloadId=7659 onto the player & that should be all you would need to do.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 PM

Thanks. Appreciate that.

Its quite hard to find links that arent dead or saying this product is at the end of its lifestyle cycle.

Have found a couple of additional useful links, however on an old model.
http://www.extrememhz.com/zenupgrade-p2.shtml
http://www.extrememhz.com/zenupgrade-p1.shtml

Shame i cannot access the nomadness forums. That appears to be dead too.

So far from what i have read around file limit with the most recent firmware update there is a limit of 10600 files. So anything larger than a 60GB HDD is pointless.

Since it is now 2011 and not 2006 anymore new unused 2.5" 60GB HDD are no longer available. So next bet is a 2.5" SSD drive. Im considering one of the following units;

CORSAIR FORCE SERIES 60GB SSD 285/275 R/W/MB
or
OCZ AGILITY 3 60GB SSD SATA3 525/475 R/W/MB

Have other members on this forum had success with a solid state drive when upgrading on their Nomad Zen NX or Zen Xtra? Does it cause anyproblems?

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The drives you are wanting to use have the wrong interface for the players. SATA drives will not work. 2.5" Ultra ATA 100/ATA 6 are what's inside. This drive http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...5A-NDW&cat=HDD should probably work & it is new. I don't know why you thought you can't get new drives for it. Google the models from the links you found. You can find many sources for the drives new,used & refurbished.

Tags
creative nomad zen nx, hard disk drive upgrade, nomad jukebox zen nx, upgrade zen nx hdd, upgrade zen xtra hdd