android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon D3

Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
I was so excited to read about the D3...'till I came to battery life. 21 hours maximum for music!! I have no doubt they measure battery life playing MP3s at 128 which I doubt anyone now uses, so in reality it is probably 10 hours.
Actually wouldn't a higher bitrate MP3 take less processing power, therefore using less battery? The more compressed an MP3 file is the more processing power it takes to decode the file (even if it's a very small difference).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2011, 03:44 AM

i posted to a different ABI forum,but will try my luck on this one.I would like a device that I can take to the gym and watch downloaded videos,movies etc. All other features eg wifi,android are nice to have but not at all essential.So,should I go for a J3 or D3? any other ideas?I would consider an ipod,but dont want to convert to ipod format and use itunes,unless you out there think thats easy to do....

Old 06-16-2011, 07:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

D3 has a larger and higher resolution screen than the J3. Otherwise it will play the same video codecs. Larger screen than the iPod Touch. You'll be spending enough to get a larger screen on some other brand though. Archos comes to mind. Their latest 43it is great with video codecs. Even better is their 7" model (70it maybe?) of the same generation. 8gb version $275. The D3 is 32gb, but $340ish.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 AM

i havent read a good report on archos on ABI yet, all models seem buggy

Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 AM

The D3 codec support especially for video is much better then with the J3, I have had only one video file from my PC rejected vs over half on the J3 and S9. Especially MP4 just seems to work on the D3 but also other formats. Even VOB works, but lags which is to be expected since it is a hell of a format to play on a small device.

The D3 is basically an android phone without the phone but with better sound. A stupid missing feature is that most phones can detect the light level and adjust the display, would it have been that costly to keep that feature on the D3? Right now the screen on its default setting often looks washed out.

Is it worth it? Yes, for audiophiles who don't care about the bugs, the crashes, the battery life, the extra device in their pocket. I am such a person but would recommend for virtually everyone i know to just use their phone or buy a iPod shuffle instead.

The bugs are just to many for normal people, like if you use the radio, the microphone is switched on. QA must mean something else in Korea.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:43 AM

IMHO the Cowon D3 has much richer deeper bass and better sound quality than the J3. However the only things that makes the J3 better is the better battery life and it is more stable.

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II