android
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM

Default flash memory

if you drop the player won't it kill it. i have droped my meizu (it has the other kind of memory) and it hasn't broke. Do i HAVE to buy wifi service to get this at best buy?

Last edited by 2kitties; 08-05-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-05-2011, 11:15 PM

do you have to have wifi to download games and go to the app store or whatever its called?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kitties View Post
if you drop the player won't it kill it.
Not necessarily. Whether this player survives depends entirely on the circumstances of the fall. It doesn't have a built-in "self-destruct-upon-dropping" feature, if that's what you mean.

Quote:
i have droped my meizu (it has the other kid of memory) and it hasn't broke.
If by "the other ki[n]d of memory" you're referring to a hard disk drive (HDD), then flash memory is actually less likely to sustain damage from physical activity (such as a drop). Flash memory contains no moving parts to be jostled or get stuck; HDDs do.

Quote:
Do i HAVE to buy wifi service to get this at best buy?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. While you'd probably get more use out of the player by having wifi available at home, you don't have to buy a service plan to purchase the player. I've never even seen this suggested before...Was there some sort of Best Buy promotion advertising the Galaxy players alongside an internet service package?

Keep in mind, too, that no Best Buy in the United States currently has the Galaxy player for sale...so any questions about buying one there exist entirely in the realm of theory right now.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
do you have to have wifi to download games and go to the app store or whatever its called?
Yes, you need wifi access to connect to the internet on the device and download apps directly from the Market. If you don't have wifi at home, you could conceivably get by using free wireless hotspots around your city/town...as long as your city/town has free wireless hotspots.

EDIT: Some Android devices do allow you to side-load apps by transferring their .apk files to the device from a computer via USB (you'd obviously have to download the app files to your computer first). I don't know if the stock Galaxy players have this feature enabled, however. Any owners care to chime in?

Last edited by epithetless; 08-05-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Yes, you need wifi access to connect to the internet on the device and download apps directly from the Market. If you don't have wifi at home, you could conceivably get by using free wireless hotspots around your city/town...as long as your city/town has free wireless hotspots.

EDIT: Some Android devices do allow you to side-load apps by transferring their .apk files to the device from a computer via USB (you'd obviously have to download the app files to your computer first). I don't know if the stock Galaxy players have this feature enabled, however. Any owners care to chime in?

Yes you can install them right off the mem card. Go to "my Files' and find the apk and open it. That's it. Easy as pie. OR you can download an app that will bring up a list of all the apk's you have on your mem card and display them then install selected ones.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 AM

Side loading can be tricky for those that don't know what they are doing. But I'm sure he can find a free wi-fi spot to get his apps from or he can buy a wi-fi router and turn his home Internet to wi-fi enabled without switching internet plans...