android
Old 09-10-2011, 06:24 AM

Default Galaxy 5.0 - 'Portability'

I cannot find a 4.0 or 3.6 to order anywhere, so I am contemplating getting a 5.0.

However, these things look absolutely enromous, bordering on the tablet size. Does anyone have on, and can you say how comfortable they feel to hold / use etc? Pocket size?

In all the pictures I have seen, people are clearly struggling to hold them in one hand....

Last edited by chotto; 09-10-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 AM

Get some cardboard and make a model of it. I'll leave it up to you to find the actual measurements for it since a quick googling didn't turn up anything.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Get some cardboard and make a model of it. I'll leave it up to you to find the actual measurements for it since a quick googling didn't turn up anything.
I've sort of done that, but the weight and thickness is something I can't really 'cut out'.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotto View Post
I cannot find a 4.0 or 3.6 to order anywhere, so I am contemplating getting a 5.0.

However, these things look absolutely enromous, bordering on the tablet size. Does anyone have on, and can you say how comfortable they feel to hold / use etc? Pocket size?

In all the pictures I have seen, people are clearly struggling to hold them in one hand....
Did you ordered the 5.0 because i have a place where you can have the 4.0 (internationnal version)

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...etcurrency=usd

Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
Did you ordered the 5.0 because i have a place where you can have the 4.0 (internationnal version)

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...etcurrency=usd

Yep, I found that ages ago, thanks. I want an official UK release, though. Simply Electronics are selling imports from Hong Kong, and Pixmania are selling French imports.

My P3 was a Korean import that I bought in Japan, and when the screen died, getting it repaired was a nightmare. I want to get an official release in the UK, hence my problem.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotto View Post
I've sort of done that, but the weight and thickness is something I can't really 'cut out'.
At 198 grams I very much doubt weight will be the make or break factor. For thickness you could always make several cardboard cutouts and stack them to the correct thickness but I suppose that would be over-engineering the problem.

More than that I can't say because size is a very subjective issue. To me the Samsung Galaxy s2 at 4.3 inches is pushing the limits for what I would put in my pants pockets. Jacket pockets are a whole different kettle of fish.My advice, if you need the extra screen size for video content and web browsing then go for it. If not hold off for something more compact.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've got a few 5" devices, and they are all squarish chunks to carry. I have the Archos 43it too, and it doesn't bother me so much. There is a fine line between "chunky" and "pocketable" among devices in this size range, so I doubt a cardboard model would tell the full story. Sammy's devices have been pretty smooth and rounded in the past. I suspect this 5"er will slide into most pockets. Personally I'd look for a case with a belt-clip, and not worry about size so much. I like the bigger screen with high resolution. Better experience when viewing it, and that outweighs the lugging it around experience.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Administrator

You can use http://www.sizeasy.com/ to make 3D comparisons of items. I find it valuable because seeing someone hold it doesn't work really well for me. There's a lot of different size hands.

I have the dimensions of all my DAPs stored in different comparison pages there. Makes it real easy to size up a new one when it hits the market. It took me a little to get the hang of it but now that I have I can easily compare the size of a player I know well to one I'm thinking of getting.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You can use http://www.sizeasy.com/ to make 3D comparisons of items. I find it valuable because seeing someone hold it doesn't work really well for me. There's a lot of different size hands.

I have the dimensions of all my DAPs stored in different comparison pages there. Makes it real easy to size up a new one when it hits the market. It took me a little to get the hang of it but now that I have I can easily compare the size of a player I know well to one I'm thinking of getting.
IMO there should also be a virtual pocket on the site you suggested. The animation can then show how it slides and fits in the pocket. I know it sounds crazy but I think it's a good idea.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 AM

I have a 5.0 and it's more of a mini-tablet than pocket player. I got a case for a Nintendo at "Big Lots" for $5.00 that fits it nicely after the plastic rim for the Nintendo player was removed from inside the case. f you are looking for an mp3 player the 4.0 would be a better way to go. If you want a Kindle reader, the 5.0 is probably better. As for carrying a 5.0 in your pocket, I would be concerned about breaking the screen.