android
  #1  
Old 09-10-2011, 06:24 AM
chotto chotto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 51
Default Galaxy 5.0 - 'Portability'

I cannot find a 4.0 or 3.6 to order anywhere, so I am contemplating getting a 5.0.

However, these things look absolutely enromous, bordering on the tablet size. Does anyone have on, and can you say how comfortable they feel to hold / use etc? Pocket size?

In all the pictures I have seen, people are clearly struggling to hold them in one hand....

Last edited by chotto; 09-10-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 AM
sideways sideways is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 588
Default

Get some cardboard and make a model of it. I'll leave it up to you to find the actual measurements for it since a quick googling didn't turn up anything.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 AM
chotto chotto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Get some cardboard and make a model of it. I'll leave it up to you to find the actual measurements for it since a quick googling didn't turn up anything.
I've sort of done that, but the weight and thickness is something I can't really 'cut out'.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM
zacp2 zacp2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotto View Post
I cannot find a 4.0 or 3.6 to order anywhere, so I am contemplating getting a 5.0.

However, these things look absolutely enromous, bordering on the tablet size. Does anyone have on, and can you say how comfortable they feel to hold / use etc? Pocket size?

In all the pictures I have seen, people are clearly struggling to hold them in one hand....
Did you ordered the 5.0 because i have a place where you can have the 4.0 (internationnal version)

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...etcurrency=usd
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 AM
chotto chotto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
Did you ordered the 5.0 because i have a place where you can have the 4.0 (internationnal version)

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...etcurrency=usd

Yep, I found that ages ago, thanks. I want an official UK release, though. Simply Electronics are selling imports from Hong Kong, and Pixmania are selling French imports.

My P3 was a Korean import that I bought in Japan, and when the screen died, getting it repaired was a nightmare. I want to get an official release in the UK, hence my problem.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 09-10-2011, 09:26 AM
sideways sideways is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotto View Post
I've sort of done that, but the weight and thickness is something I can't really 'cut out'.
At 198 grams I very much doubt weight will be the make or break factor. For thickness you could always make several cardboard cutouts and stack them to the correct thickness but I suppose that would be over-engineering the problem.

More than that I can't say because size is a very subjective issue. To me the Samsung Galaxy s2 at 4.3 inches is pushing the limits for what I would put in my pants pockets. Jacket pockets are a whole different kettle of fish.My advice, if you need the extra screen size for video content and web browsing then go for it. If not hold off for something more compact.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Olley Olley is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,894
Default

I've got a few 5" devices, and they are all squarish chunks to carry. I have the Archos 43it too, and it doesn't bother me so much. There is a fine line between "chunky" and "pocketable" among devices in this size range, so I doubt a cardboard model would tell the full story. Sammy's devices have been pretty smooth and rounded in the past. I suspect this 5"er will slide into most pockets. Personally I'd look for a case with a belt-clip, and not worry about size so much. I like the bigger screen with high resolution. Better experience when viewing it, and that outweighs the lugging it around experience.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 09-10-2011, 09:58 AM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,444
Default

You can use http://www.sizeasy.com/ to make 3D comparisons of items. I find it valuable because seeing someone hold it doesn't work really well for me. There's a lot of different size hands.

I have the dimensions of all my DAPs stored in different comparison pages there. Makes it real easy to size up a new one when it hits the market. It took me a little to get the hang of it but now that I have I can easily compare the size of a player I know well to one I'm thinking of getting.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 09-10-2011, 10:09 AM
musichound musichound is offline
Off-Topic Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 2,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You can use http://www.sizeasy.com/ to make 3D comparisons of items. I find it valuable because seeing someone hold it doesn't work really well for me. There's a lot of different size hands.

I have the dimensions of all my DAPs stored in different comparison pages there. Makes it real easy to size up a new one when it hits the market. It took me a little to get the hang of it but now that I have I can easily compare the size of a player I know well to one I'm thinking of getting.
IMO there should also be a virtual pocket on the site you suggested. The animation can then show how it slides and fits in the pocket. I know it sounds crazy but I think it's a good idea.
__________________
Cowon X7 160GB - iRiver H320 - IPod Classic 160GB - iPod 5.5G 80GB - Sansa Clip Plus 4GB - Original Sansa Clip 2GB
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Joe_Linux Joe_Linux is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 199
Default

I have a 5.0 and it's more of a mini-tablet than pocket player. I got a case for a Nintendo at "Big Lots" for $5.00 that fits it nicely after the plastic rim for the Nintendo player was removed from inside the case. f you are looking for an mp3 player the 4.0 would be a better way to go. If you want a Kindle reader, the 5.0 is probably better. As for carrying a 5.0 in your pocket, I would be concerned about breaking the screen.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.