android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon D3

Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 AM

Default Video: Cowon D3 UI on Android 2.3.3 (and speed test vs. Archos 32)

Here's a video I whipped up, showing the performance of Android 2.3.3 on the D3. Watch it in HD on Youtube...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sluggish.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 AM

Sluggish?? A slug moves like lightning compared to this. Takes ages to start up. "Data scanning" seems to go on forever whenever I switch this on. I have put mine away for now waiting for Cowon to come up with some decent firmware.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
Sluggish?? A slug moves like lightning compared to this. Takes ages to start up. "Data scanning" seems to go on forever whenever I switch this on. I have put mine away for now waiting for Cowon to come up with some decent firmware.
Nice I was just about to ask is it even a inch within worth buying man do I like the UI. Now take the Android off put the battery life back on and it would be a winner.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:52 PM

It needs a more efficient media & thumbnail scanner.
If only the stock player could have a "real" file browser like Rockbox, not relying on a database. It would only disable ID3 navigation with .nomedia files all around, instead of showing nothing in the browser.

On a side note, PowerAmp still don't run properly on this device. Folders in /sdcard/tflash don't show up with the latest version and it generates overheating while in use.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good lord now I see first hand why people have been complaining... Best part of the vid was the wallpapers...

Snazzy lookin' though. I'll give it that.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Damm straight it looks awesome it almost makes me want to go for I guess the question is, is it hope for it

Old 09-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Made another video, Cowon D3 vs. Archos 32 speed test...

Old 09-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Sluggish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
lol, yesterday in irc I said my snail is faster

Edit: BTW I doubt that any new fw will help it ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Made another video, Cowon D3 vs. Archos 32 speed test...
SO which player do you prefer? Except for jet effects of the D3, I tend to think the Archos is the better player.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:52 PM

Personally I don't have that much use for smartphone/tablet/etc toys anyways, so my opinion about them is something like, "I don't care... much". I take my netbook over any of them any day for connectivity stuff.

In short, the Archos is a much better Android device, the Cowon is a much better video and audio player - hindered by the fact that it runs on sluggish Android, on underpowered outdated hardware. If the D3 would be like the J3, just with the larger screen and the video format support, it would be the ultimate audio/video player for me.

D3 pros: screen, tactile buttons, audio/video format support, BBE/EQ, better amp/more output power, multitouch, stronger Wifi, SD slot

A32 pros: speed/performance, price, better SoC, better GPU, more RAM, battery life, real deep sleep mode, pan/balance

Of course you get a somewhat better (yet still resistive) screen and an SD slot when you move up to the A43 and higher.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

True, a netbook is much more useful, but I'm starting to like the idea that applications can be carried around in a pocket. If I didn't have an iPod Touch I would get the A43 in a heartbeat

Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
True, a netbook is much more useful, but I'm starting to like the idea that applications can be carried around in a pocket. If I didn't have an iPod Touch I would get the A43 in a heartbeat
I considered the A43 before I got the Touch.....but the things I had heard about Archos in the past, like suspect SQ, made me decide to go for the Touch. Maybe next year....

Old 09-13-2011, 03:28 PM

If only TCC88xx chips (cortex A8/Mali400) were taped out 6 months earlier... We would not have a sluggish SoC in our devices. It's ridiculous to get a better user experience with a cheaper, entry-level Android device .