android
Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Default Are these better then a pay as you go Android Phone?

There are a couple of pay as you go Android phones out there now, would those be a better value then either of the Galaxy players?

http://www.brighthand.com/default.as...Mobile+Android

as one example...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Stating the bloody obvious here but if you want phone capabilities then a contract or pay-as-you-go phone would be better than the non-phone Galaxy Player.
The article you linked to seems to suggest that compromises would be made in hardware to get a cheap p-a-y-g phone to the unwashed masses.

May I politely draw your attention to the word 'then' that you use in the title and in the body of your post? It has a different meaning to the word 'than', which I think is the word you meant to use.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lulz.

If you want my personal advice, a dedicated player and a dedicated phone is almost ALWAYS better than a phone that is also your main player. But that's my own opinion, YMMV.

The reason I feel this way is mostly because battery life is often an issue with using one device as both your main phone and your main music player. There are other reasons, but that's my one main issue with it. Another one I hear frequently is that dedicated PMPs are better audio sources or have better native music players.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM

My point was more to find out if the Players had any advantage over just using an android pay as you go phone with out minutes/plan. Pay-as-you go phones are widely available in North America, unlike these Samsung offerings.

Any android device for around 200 dollars will be stripped down from a 650 dollar off contract phone. So, perhaps people could explain if the Players are better then a pay as you go phone at the same price?

Also, J0ckie post has tense problems and is missing comas.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

BAHAHAHA well played, sir.

I understand what you're saying now. I'm talking completely out of my ass here, as I haven't owned either, but I would guess you're mostly sacrificing hardware with a pay-as-you-go phone. Though, I also know they jack the prices up SO much on those phones if you don't get them with a contract to discourage these types of things (people buying them and using them as a portable player) because their real money is made from their service, so jacking the price up so much makes the phone seem like a deal when you buy it with a contract, therefore pushing the real money-maker, the service. They can't do this type of thing with a non-contract phone, obviously.

I'll be honest, I didn't know anyone was making Android PAYG phones. Ecto Facto, I'm not sure if lots of people have any and could give you a more personal experience with these suckers.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 AM

Sid32, you seem to have taken me the wrong way. I merely tried to politely draw your attention to a mistake you made in your posting.
I would suggest that if you do not want to make yourself look ignorant, you take it on the chin and learn to differentiate between 'then' and 'than'.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 AM

I appreciate it. I just returned the favour.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0ckie View Post
Sid32, you seem to have taken me the wrong way. I merely tried to politely draw your attention to a mistake you made in your posting.
I would suggest that if you do not want to make yourself look ignorant, you take it on the chin and learn to differentiate between 'then' and 'than'.
Then you must be a Conjunctionist rather than an Aardvark.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 AM

Default work around

Does anyone know if any of these pay as you go companys would support existing smartphones with their plans?

Old 08-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've been thinking about this as well buy a phone without plan use it to blow up the world. Or buy the Galaxy Never Coming Out Never Ending Always Trending Mind Bending.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^What he said^

Old 08-20-2011, 08:26 AM

149.99 android no contact smart phone video and info. coming to the states... interesting...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/20/s...seemingly-150/

Old 09-16-2011, 04:22 AM

i use the player with BB, good match

Old 09-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Hm, for $145 you can get the archos 43 off amazon, witch, in my opinion would be much better than that samsung tracfone. For an unlocked android phone equivalent to the galaxy players you'll probably pay $100 more than the players (will) cost.