android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 AM

Unhappy SD card rebuilds everytime you switch the Zen MX on

I recently bought the Zen MX and have found a significant issue with the software.

Everytime you turn the player on and select memory card the player rebuilds the details on the card - this can take well over 5 minutes. I have a Creative recommended 8Gb card in the player.

The reason I bought the player was for the expandable memory. It is used for the whole family and because of the problem with rebuilding I have stored the kids music on the internal 16Gb memory and my own on the SD card.

The rebuild happens whether or not you have changed the contents of the SD card and even whether or not you have taken the card out of the player. If it switches off - you have to rebuild.

I've been in touch with Creative who descibe this as 'not a bug but an action'. I completely disagree with this. The advertising of the MX does not suggest anything like a 5 to 10 minute boot up time. I might as well boot my pc which starts quicker than my mx if I want to listen to music.

Has anyone else found this problem and is there any way around it that the guys at Creative have failed to find?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM
ABI Invaluable

I'm afraid it's just a fact of life with these players, and one of the reasons most of us decry the "lack of integration" with external memory.

The Zen MX, like most Zen-based players, index all its music files into a database. The Zen does not store the database of every SD card it encounters. Now, it could, in theory, store a card's database on the card, but there would still be the issue of the player not knowing if any changes have been made to the card while it was out of the player, so it has to rebuild it each time.

There are certainly better ways these processes can be done - there's no argument there. Unfortunately, there is no workaround for this problem.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:33 AM

Thanks ZC - much better response than Creative have provided me with. I have to say it makes the SD card entirely redundant as far as I'm concerned and that was the main reason I bought the Zen. I'm pretty sure that there is a case of deliberate deception in the advertising of the player. Are you aware of anyone attempting to get their money back from Creative on this basis?

Thanks again

Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 AM

And one further question -

Prior to putting my songs on the palyer and memory card I updated the player to the latest firmware and formatted the card.

Creative have suggested that rebuilding te data on an 8Gb card should take between 15 seconds and 1 minute. Mine takes much longer than that. Creative have suggested updating the firmware and doing a clean up. This will obviously take a lot of time trasnferring data back and forth.

Before I start on the road again - are CReative tellign the truth this time do other people experience a wait of over 5 minutes for the rebuild to take place?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 AM
ABI Invaluable

I don't own a Zen myself, so I can't tell you with certainty. But five minutes does seem rather excessive. Doing a clean-up does seem to be good advice, on the grounds that a messed up database or corrupt file can cause a lot of problems when rebuilding the library.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Thanks again for the reponse. I'm working through getting all files on my pc again for a rebuild. I'll update the thread once I get it completed.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:10 AM

Same problem here, I have a 16 gB sd-card and it takes about 5 minutes to 'boot up'. My 'workaround' is to start the thing up 10 minutes before I leave and having the 'idle shutdown' option to 30 minutes, so it doesn't switch off immediatly while not in use. It's a big let-down and although my workaround kind of works, I wouldn't buy a Zen player again.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:05 AM

My thoughts entirely illustrator.

Fortunately I've managed to stop a good many of my friends from buying a Zen product too.

I always thought they were a well regarded company. That obviously doesn't ring true these days.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lightbulb

Seems to be a problem with the players that have integrated the SD card files. The big complaint that people had about the Zen was the SD card not being integrated. The old saying"Be careful what you ask for" comes to mind

Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 PM

Default creative tech MP3 library update problem - SD card

a simple solution is simply not to do rebuild library at all.
should the database is found to be screwed up, then prompt user to "authorize" a "rebuild".

And put in "rebuild library " as a utility feature , so a user can command a 'rebuild".

My 8GB card took over 5 minutes to rebuild, no less than the 16GB card.

I am waiting for Creative Tech to correct this before I buy another one.
And for now, as many of you do, I recommend my friends all to wait ...

it is a simple update to their software, but seems to me that they just don't want to do it. I have wrote to Creative many months ago with this suggestion.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 PM

Is this still an issue?

My iPod Classic died, had it since 2006 I kind of want to try something else, anything but an iPod. Need much more space than 8GB. . .

Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you bother to check out how old this thread is?