android
Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 PM

Default Want to know a easy way to simply play entire folder

Hello!
Sorry, if this question was already asked, im weak at english, so please forgive me.

In the original firmware there was a simple way to play entire folder with all subfolders, just select folder, and then "play all". Unfortunately i doesnt found a similar easy way to do this under rockbox.

Can someone help me with this matter?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

The way I usually do that is make sure "Recursively Insert Directories" is On in General Settings=>Playlists then go to the folder I want to play.

Long Enter=>Current Playlist=>Insert.

That will insert all the folders of that directory into a playlist and start it to playing. This is all covered much better and in greater depth than I did here in the manual. If you haven't had a chance to dig into it, I would. You really can't take advantage of all that Rockbox offers without using the manual.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Well, I have read the manual (a bit superficially, to be honest), but still I was not sure, if the way you mentioned was the shortest one.
One thing bothers me about this way: if I want to listen music only from that folder, first of all I must empty current playlist, and thats one more step from the simplicity of the original firmware method.

And thank you for warm greeting and for detailed answer

Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Administrator

One of the things I like the most about Rockbox is it's flexibility. There are limits to what can be done but the manual is where you start, not where things end. That's just one of the ways you can play the contents of a folder.

If you have something already playing go to the folder you want to play and Long Enter=>Current Playlist=Play Next. The contents of the folder gets added to the playlist but when the playlist advances only the contents of the folder remain. The previous content gets wiped automatically. If there's nothing playing when you go to that folder the items in the context menu will be different.

You can play the entire contents of a folder by saving that folder as a playlist. When you start a playlist it replaces what's playing with the contents of the playlist. I'll leave it to you to work out how to save a folder as a playlist. It's easy now, you don't even have to use the virtual keyboard to name it anymore and it saves automatically to the Playlist Catalogue.

All this is to say that Rockbox starting working well for me when I got used to the idea that setting things up might be a fair amount of work to have things just the way I wanted them. It wasn't exactly simple, but for me the effort has paid very nice dividends in how easy things are now. YMMV.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 AM

Thank you, skip252. Now things gets clear to me.