android
Old 07-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Default PC will not recognize USB connection

I bought three units of X7 and two of them have the same problem. I connected them successfully and loaded about 120gb of flac files to each, then the units couldn't be recognized by my computer. Instead of the usual "USB Connected" message, the "Battery Charging" message came on.

I tried different USB cables, reboot the computer, reset the units, use different computers, different direct ports and still no success. Help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-30-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zysondy View Post
I bought three units of X7 and two of them have the same problem. I connected them successfully and loaded about 120gb of flac files to each, then the units couldn't be recognized by my computer. Instead of the usual "USB Connected" message, the "Battery Charging" message came on.

I tried different USB cables, reboot the computer, reset the units, use different computers, different direct ports and still no success. Help.
Posting here as well, any update on your situation? I have the same problem... (wrote more about it in another forum)

Old 10-01-2011, 01:23 AM

I returned the two bad units and got two more. One thing I learned: use the "Safely remove hardware" icon before disconnecting from the PC. I have not had any problem with the new ones.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:35 AM

I have managed to connect twice yesterday, each connection lasted about 5 minutes, then it got disconnected again, during actual data transfer.
I really wonder what's the whole thing about.
I have a problem that I have bought the thing through ebay, from hong kong, and at cowonglobal.com the answer from producer was that the warranty only applies in the country where it was first sold... so I guess I'd have to send it to Hong Kong first, to the distributor? Cowon's staff hasn't really been helpful.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM

It seems like a common issue with the X7, I had this happening a few times, and for me it seems related to the usb cable not being correctly inserted into the X7.

Unfortunately, their proprietary connector sucks (no retention system so it stays firmly attached), I have to be very careful not to touch the X7 or the cable once the connection is made, otherwise the cable will tend to disconnect.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 10-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Yah that actually could well be the problem. however, i wonder why it still stays charging, if the cable gets disconnected inside. Might be a combination of more conditions. Anyhow, if you get news about any solution, please, be sure to let me know!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:00 PM

I highly recommend you to buy only from Amazon. Not only would you find the lowest prices there, you can return the item within 30 days. When the two units I bought couldn't communicate with the computer, I returned both with no questions asked.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Lightbulb Found solution for Cowon X7 disconnecting!!!

I knew I would somehow got it to work again.
I have managed to connect several times, and each time it was immediately after I recorded something and then turned off my player (then plug in).
So I received that updating metadata screen at the beginning and after that the player connected!

So here's my suggestion to anyone with the problem.

1. If windows says something like you have unrecognized device in system, go to details of that message and uninstall driver.
2. Restart your computer. (all still with player NOT connected)
3. Set your player on recording, record few seconds of whatever. Stop recording.
4. Turn off your player. Do NOT turn on again!
5. Connect player to PC. The player will start, initialize, update metadata, and then connect.

P.S. Be very careful during connection, even a small movement can disconnect the device, I am almost 100% sure that the usb-to-player connections in these Cowons are bad. The reason your device is not recognized after disconnecting is that it was during a file transfer, or you just didn't use the safe remove hardware option, which damaged the driver or the mother table of files. Somehow, recording a file and updating metadata (probably mother table renews?) enables windows to connect the device again.

I really hope this helps someone. If you find it's not working, please let me know, I am still only hoping it will work, it has so far.

P.S. 2: I started using USB hub, so that my Cowon is not moved at all, I just plug it into the hub and the hub cable into the laptop. This way even when the laptop moves a bit (by typing, clicking), it will not cause any movement to player.

Last edited by matoflash; 10-12-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: another thought