android
Old 10-15-2011, 01:17 PM

Default Can the fuze see music folders on the chip?

I want to distribute my music on chips for the Sandisk Fuze and other players. However, when I transfer the albums (.wav files in folders) onto the chip, the player sees only one long list of songs instead of the folders that I see on the chip in Windows 7.

I was told that the Sandisk players only use metadata and not folder structures, so I edited what I expected to be the appropriate data into the broadcast .wav files. No luck. It sorts them by name only.

Please help.

Thanks!

Bill

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Not quite sure exactly what you're doing there but I am sure the Sansa line of players can't read metadata from .wav files. I don't know of any DAP that can. That's not to say none exist but I haven't come across one.

FLAC files contain the exact same audio information as .wav. and can be tagged so the metadata can be read on Sansa players that support FLAC. I would think about using that as the way to load your files.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:52 PM

But why can't it see the folders on the chip like it sees folders in the internal storage? If it did that, I'm done.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Not quite sure exactly what you're doing there
It'd hard to tell why you're getting the results you are as you haven't provided enough information to even guess. The best way to obtaining meaningful answers is describing in detail what you are doing. No one can see what you do so you have to let others know exactly what's happening on your end.

I just created a folder, named it, placed some 16/44.1 .wav files in it and transferred it to the folder external card on my Fuze. When I browse to Folders in the menu the folder shows with the name I gave it and the files inside have the names I gave them and play normally. It worked the same if I transferred the folder in MSC or MTP mode. I didn't try Autodetect.

Since it is working for me and it isn't working for you I'm guessing there's something different happening on your end. Describing what you're doing would be the first step in finding out what's different.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

IIRC, if you use RockBox, it can all be arranged by folder structure.

Edit: Though I just saw skip's new post and apparently the OF does as well...

Old 10-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Administrator

True enough about Rockbox but if they are trying to distribute music on external cards you have to assume not all the players the cards are meant for won't be Rockboxed which is why I checked in the OF. The Folders menu would be the only place you would see things separated because with no readable metadata you would just see a list of names in every other view AFAIK.

The only thing I can think of off hand is the Fuze didn't always have folder browsing. If the firmware isn't up to date that may be the cause. I'm not sure when it came in and wouldn't remember how it acted before it was added. Other than that I can't see why the folders wouldn't be visible from the Folders menu.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Thanks guy,

Know that it does work encourages me to give it another shot.

I have an iogear memory card reader/writer. My files are ten albums worth of .wav files arranged in ten folders on my external drive. I drag and drop all ten albums onto the Sandisk card that shows up in the Windows explorer window on the desktop when I insert it into the iogear writer.

When I remove that card and place it into the Sansa Fuze (new firmware this morning) plugged into the PC, in Windows I see the files exactly as I saw them in the external drive, ten folders full of .wav files.

When I unplug the Fuze and navigate to the Card I only see one Unknown Artist album and after selecting it, then an Unknown Artist/Unknown Album. Selecting the Unknown Album displays all the files but no folders.

Bill

Old 10-15-2011, 04:59 PM

Also, I can view the Sansa Fuze external storage files both in the Windows Media Player via the Sandisk control panel AND within Windows explorer directly. The folders are there in Windows explorer but not in Media Player. Just the big list.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Administrator

If you are seeing Unknown it would seem you are looking at the files in something other than the "Folders" part of the menu. When you go to that menu are you seeing the names of the folders?

That's the only place you would expect to see the names of the folders. All the other menu items are based on the metadata that's read during the database refresh. Since there's no metadata the Fuze can read from .wav files all you should see is a list of the files, not the files separated by folder.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Visionaudio...

1. "new firmware this morning". Please be more specific. My Fuze is running V02.02.26A.

2. I don't use WAV files, but I found three on my hard drive from two different sources. So I created 3 one-file directories on a micro SD card. I also created a directory with all 3 files. I placed them under the already existing MUSIC directory. I used Folder mode to navigate to these folders. The files were listed by filename. I selected one. The resulting screen shows the filename scrolling (long file names) or stationary (short file name). The word UNKNOWN is not visible in either screen. But when I pressed the Home button to move to another song, the following started scrolling across the bottom of the screen "Now Playing: Unknown-filename". This Unknown represents the Artist Name, which is Unknown because of the lack of metadata.

3. Because of the seeming difference in my results and yours, I have another Q. Are you talking about the original Fuze, or the newer touch screen Fuze Plus (or Fuze+)?

Perhaps you can provide a long post showing the exact sequence of actions/results similar to my point 2.

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 10-15-2011 at 08:15 PM.