android
  #1  
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM
tdude51 tdude51 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default What GPU is in Galaxy Player 4, 5?

So, the question was pretty much in the title...

What GPU is in the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 and 5? I haven't found this anywhere I looked. I expect to be playing some games and emulators on it so I am curious about what its graphics processing capabilities are. If anyone could give me a heads up that would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Download Quadrant or Antutu benchmark and look at the system info.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
zacp2 zacp2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdude51 View Post
So, the question was pretty much in the title...

What GPU is in the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 and 5? I haven't found this anywhere I looked. I expect to be playing some games and emulators on it so I am curious about what its graphics processing capabilities are. If anyone could give me a heads up that would be great.

Thanks!
it is the samsung hummingbird processor. it is the same in the original galaxy s which is PowerVR SGX540
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 10-15-2011, 02:29 PM
electron's Avatar
electron electron is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I would like to know too.
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
it is the samsung hummingbird processor. it is the same in the original galaxy s which is PowerVR SGX540
My phone is galaxy s-based, and I must say that the hummingbird is quite impressive. IMO, it competes well with some of the newer dual-core devices out there.
You shouldn't have any problems with speed with the galaxy player...
__________________
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
check out my P3 group here!
Thanks for making my P3 group the largest non-contest group on ABi!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 10-15-2011, 05:27 PM
zacp2 zacp2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
My phone is galaxy s-based, and I must say that the hummingbird is quite impressive. IMO, it competes well with some of the newer dual-core devices out there.
You shouldn't have any problems with speed with the galaxy player...
i know but people said that with the gingerbread update (im on froyo) it will be even more speedy
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 10-15-2011, 06:12 PM
electron's Avatar
electron electron is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I would like to know too.
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
i know but people said that with the gingerbread update (im on froyo) it will be even more speedy
I'm on a gingerbreak leak for my phone (droid charge), and I will say that gingerbread did speed things up a bit, but the real changes in speed are done by custom ROMs, kernels, RAM tweaks, etc.
Hopefully a dev will pick up a Galaxy Player sometime soon, because I know it can scream.
(as a point of reference, my phone got a 3176 in quadrant today..)
__________________
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
check out my P3 group here!
Thanks for making my P3 group the largest non-contest group on ABi!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 PM
zacp2 zacp2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
I'm on a gingerbreak leak for my phone (droid charge), and I will say that gingerbread did speed things up a bit, but the real changes in speed are done by custom ROMs, kernels, RAM tweaks, etc.
Hopefully a dev will pick up a Galaxy Player sometime soon, because I know it can scream.
(as a point of reference, my phone got a 3176 in quadrant today..)
i hope they can port a galaxy s2 rom in the galaxy player like they did with original galaxy s but it can be different because of the capacitive home button on the U.S. version of galaxy player (I hope it dosen't change anything in the rom)
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 10-15-2011, 07:19 PM
zacp2 zacp2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 239
Default

how i can overclock the galaxy player internationnal version. I tried tegrak but it just support the korean version
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 AM
electron's Avatar
electron electron is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I would like to know too.
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
how i can overclock the galaxy player internationnal version. I tried tegrak but it just support the korean version
Do you have root access? If you know what the model, manufacturer, brand, device, and name, you can change your american information to the information of the korean version in your system/build.prop.

(Disclaimer: If you have no idea what I just said, DON'T TRY IT! editing your build.prop file can be very dangerous, and millions of kittens will not die if you don't do this)
__________________
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
check out my P3 group here!
Thanks for making my P3 group the largest non-contest group on ABi!
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 AM
zacp2 zacp2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
Do you have root access? If you know what the model, manufacturer, brand, device, and name, you can change your american information to the information of the korean version in your system/build.prop.

(Disclaimer: If you have no idea what I just said, DON'T TRY IT! editing your build.prop file can be very dangerous, and millions of kittens will not die if you don't do this)
well i dont have an american version i have an internationnal version from hong kong and as you said it will be too dangerous
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 10-16-2011, 03:42 PM
sandro87 sandro87 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 93
Default

So it has the exactly same hardware as the galaxy s phone?
If yes there should no problem installing custom roms(?)
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 10-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Sarracen Sarracen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 90
Default

The processor is actually different (and faster, I might add) than that in a Galaxy S smartphone.

The Player has an ARMv7 Processor, according to quadrant I ran today, instead of the hummingbird.

I don't mind one bit though, my device outscored the Galaxy S by a good amount, and is almost on the level of a Moto Droid X, and Nexus one 2.2+
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 PM
bigl bigl is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarracen View Post
The processor is actually different (and faster, I might add) than that in a Galaxy S smartphone.

The Player has an ARMv7 Processor, according to quadrant I ran today, instead of the hummingbird.
The SoC is Hummingbird but Quadrant only display the name and version of the instruction set, which is ARM v7. Samsung Hummingbird is based on ARM v7.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM
electron's Avatar
electron electron is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I would like to know too.
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarracen View Post
The processor is actually different (and faster, I might add) than that in a Galaxy S smartphone.

The Player has an ARMv7 Processor, according to quadrant I ran today, instead of the hummingbird.

I don't mind one bit though, my device outscored the Galaxy S by a good amount, and is almost on the level of a Moto Droid X, and Nexus one 2.2+
A. the Samsung hummingbird *is* and ARMv7, and Quadrant identifies it as such. (as it does to all galaxy S phones.)
B. What did you score? I know that quadrant is terribly inaccurate, I'm just curious. I know the Fascinate (verizon galaxy s) can get 3000 with no overclock on CM7 and a glitch kernel, and my Charge (LTE galaxy S) gets about the same @ 1.2GHZ on a touchwiz ROM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandro87 View Post
So it has the exactly same hardware as the galaxy s phone?
If yes there should no problem installing custom roms(?)
No, it is not *exactly* the same hardware. It has more internal memory, less RAM, a different screen, different camera(s), and (most importantly), very different radios. Flashing a Galaxy S ROM will brick brick your Galaxy Player. Perhaps forever.
Besides, there isn't a recovery (like ClockWork Mod recovery) for the galaxy player that I know of yet, so flashing most of the ROMs for galaxy s phones isn't even an option. (although, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)
__________________
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
check out my P3 group here!
Thanks for making my P3 group the largest non-contest group on ABi!

Last edited by electron; 10-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM
steinburger1109's Avatar
steinburger1109 steinburger1109 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 2,456
Default

Alright, electron's 100% on spot, I just want to make sure no one misses it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
Flashing a Galaxy S ROM will brick brick your Galaxy Player. Perhaps forever.
So, uh, don't do it.
__________________
- Justin
Glossary for Newbies Everybody
Babble. On.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 10-16-2011, 08:27 PM
zacp2 zacp2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
A. the Samsung hummingbird *is* and ARMv7, and Quadrant identifies it as such. (as it does to all galaxy S phones.)
B. What did you score? I know that quadrant is terribly inaccurate, I'm just curious. I know the Fascinate (verizon galaxy s) can get 3000 with no overclock on CM7 and a glitch kernel, and my Charge (LTE galaxy S) gets about the same @ 1.2GHZ on a touchwiz ROM..


No, it is not *exactly* the same hardware. It has more internal memory, less RAM, a different screen, different camera(s), and (most importantly), very different radios. Flashing a Galaxy S ROM will brick brick your Galaxy Player. Perhaps forever.
Besides, there isn't a recovery (like ClockWork Mod recovery) for the galaxy player that I know of yet, so flashing most of the ROMs for galaxy s phones isn't even an option. (although, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)
I'm sure devs will develop a clockworkmod recovery and custom roms. It's an android ipod touch who wouldn't develop on these. They know that a lot of people will buy these. I hope there will be
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Sarracen Sarracen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 90
Default

My bad on the processor naming thing - when I examined the specs of a Galaxy S on there, it specified hummingbird, so I figured that it wasn't the same.

My score on quadrant was 1,048... I can't see it scoring in the 3,000's even if I were to overclock while running. That's quite a leap.

Maybe we are not using the same software? I am running something called "Quadrant standard"
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 10-17-2011, 12:32 PM
electron's Avatar
electron electron is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I would like to know too.
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Alright, electron's 100% on spot, I just want to make sure no one misses it.
So, uh, don't do it.
Why, yes! Thank you, Mr. Steinburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
I'm sure devs will develop a clockworkmod recovery and custom roms. It's an android ipod touch who wouldn't develop on these. They know that a lot of people will buy these. I hope there will be
For the sake of everyone who owns one of these, I really hope so. If I had more time/knowledge, I would totally try to do so myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarracen View Post
My bad on the processor naming thing - when I examined the specs of a Galaxy S on there, it specified hummingbird, so I figured that it wasn't the same.

My score on quadrant was 1,048... I can't see it scoring in the 3,000's even if I were to overclock while running. That's quite a leap.

Maybe we are not using the same software? I am running something called "Quadrant standard"
A. Really? I find that quite odd, as my SGS based phone never says hummingbird in quadrant (although I *know* it is).

B. Remember that quadrant scores are easy to play with, but we are using the same benchmark.
Here is why a properly ROM'd SGS can score so high:
  1. The Samsung Galaxy S used the old/slow RFS file system, causing slow read/write speeds and slower performance to the user in general. This can be solved by a Kernel that auto-converts /system, /data, and /cache to ext4. (not yet available on the SGP)
  2. Debloated ROMs usually have better performance, but also remove some (sometimes helpful) default apps.
  3. The kernel samsung uses does not have a very good alogrithem for scaling the CPU up and down. Running a quadrant (or any benchmark) a few times in a row can help solve this.
  4. Tweaks such as loopysmoothness, kick-ass kernel tweaks, and V6 supercharger greatly improve RAM management, leading to overall higher performance. (I might make a post on this later ).
__________________
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
check out my P3 group here!
Thanks for making my P3 group the largest non-contest group on ABi!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.