android
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM

Default What GPU is in Galaxy Player 4, 5?

So, the question was pretty much in the title...

What GPU is in the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 and 5? I haven't found this anywhere I looked. I expect to be playing some games and emulators on it so I am curious about what its graphics processing capabilities are. If anyone could give me a heads up that would be great.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 PM

Download Quadrant or Antutu benchmark and look at the system info.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdude51 View Post
So, the question was pretty much in the title...

What GPU is in the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 and 5? I haven't found this anywhere I looked. I expect to be playing some games and emulators on it so I am curious about what its graphics processing capabilities are. If anyone could give me a heads up that would be great.

Thanks!
it is the samsung hummingbird processor. it is the same in the original galaxy s which is PowerVR SGX540

Old 10-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
it is the samsung hummingbird processor. it is the same in the original galaxy s which is PowerVR SGX540
My phone is galaxy s-based, and I must say that the hummingbird is quite impressive. IMO, it competes well with some of the newer dual-core devices out there.
You shouldn't have any problems with speed with the galaxy player...

Old 10-15-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
My phone is galaxy s-based, and I must say that the hummingbird is quite impressive. IMO, it competes well with some of the newer dual-core devices out there.
You shouldn't have any problems with speed with the galaxy player...
i know but people said that with the gingerbread update (im on froyo) it will be even more speedy

Old 10-15-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
i know but people said that with the gingerbread update (im on froyo) it will be even more speedy
I'm on a gingerbreak leak for my phone (droid charge), and I will say that gingerbread did speed things up a bit, but the real changes in speed are done by custom ROMs, kernels, RAM tweaks, etc.
Hopefully a dev will pick up a Galaxy Player sometime soon, because I know it can scream.
(as a point of reference, my phone got a 3176 in quadrant today..)

Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I'm on a gingerbreak leak for my phone (droid charge), and I will say that gingerbread did speed things up a bit, but the real changes in speed are done by custom ROMs, kernels, RAM tweaks, etc.
Hopefully a dev will pick up a Galaxy Player sometime soon, because I know it can scream.
(as a point of reference, my phone got a 3176 in quadrant today..)
i hope they can port a galaxy s2 rom in the galaxy player like they did with original galaxy s but it can be different because of the capacitive home button on the U.S. version of galaxy player (I hope it dosen't change anything in the rom)

Old 10-15-2011, 07:19 PM

how i can overclock the galaxy player internationnal version. I tried tegrak but it just support the korean version

Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
how i can overclock the galaxy player internationnal version. I tried tegrak but it just support the korean version
Do you have root access? If you know what the model, manufacturer, brand, device, and name, you can change your american information to the information of the korean version in your system/build.prop.

(Disclaimer: If you have no idea what I just said, DON'T TRY IT! editing your build.prop file can be very dangerous, and millions of kittens will not die if you don't do this)

Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Do you have root access? If you know what the model, manufacturer, brand, device, and name, you can change your american information to the information of the korean version in your system/build.prop.

(Disclaimer: If you have no idea what I just said, DON'T TRY IT! editing your build.prop file can be very dangerous, and millions of kittens will not die if you don't do this)
well i dont have an american version i have an internationnal version from hong kong and as you said it will be too dangerous

Old 10-16-2011, 03:42 PM

So it has the exactly same hardware as the galaxy s phone?
If yes there should no problem installing custom roms(?)

Old 10-16-2011, 06:09 PM

The processor is actually different (and faster, I might add) than that in a Galaxy S smartphone.

The Player has an ARMv7 Processor, according to quadrant I ran today, instead of the hummingbird.

I don't mind one bit though, my device outscored the Galaxy S by a good amount, and is almost on the level of a Moto Droid X, and Nexus one 2.2+

Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarracen View Post
The processor is actually different (and faster, I might add) than that in a Galaxy S smartphone.

The Player has an ARMv7 Processor, according to quadrant I ran today, instead of the hummingbird.
The SoC is Hummingbird but Quadrant only display the name and version of the instruction set, which is ARM v7. Samsung Hummingbird is based on ARM v7.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:

I don't mind one bit though, my device outscored the Galaxy S by a good amount, and is almost on the level of a Moto Droid X, and Nexus one 2.2+
A. the Samsung hummingbird *is* and ARMv7, and Quadrant identifies it as such. (as it does to all galaxy S phones.)
B. What did you score? I know that quadrant is terribly inaccurate, I'm just curious. I know the Fascinate (verizon galaxy s) can get 3000 with no overclock on CM7 and a glitch kernel, and my Charge (LTE galaxy S) gets about the same @ 1.2GHZ on a touchwiz ROM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandro87 View Post
So it has the exactly same hardware as the galaxy s phone?
If yes there should no problem installing custom roms(?)
No, it is not *exactly* the same hardware. It has more internal memory, less RAM, a different screen, different camera(s), and (most importantly), very different radios. Flashing a Galaxy S ROM will brick brick your Galaxy Player. Perhaps forever.
Besides, there isn't a recovery (like ClockWork Mod recovery) for the galaxy player that I know of yet, so flashing most of the ROMs for galaxy s phones isn't even an option. (although, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Last edited by electron; 10-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Alright, electron's 100% on spot, I just want to make sure no one misses it.

Quote:
Flashing a Galaxy S ROM will brick brick your Galaxy Player. Perhaps forever.
So, uh, don't do it.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
A. the Samsung hummingbird *is* and ARMv7, and Quadrant identifies it as such. (as it does to all galaxy S phones.)
B. What did you score? I know that quadrant is terribly inaccurate, I'm just curious. I know the Fascinate (verizon galaxy s) can get 3000 with no overclock on CM7 and a glitch kernel, and my Charge (LTE galaxy S) gets about the same @ 1.2GHZ on a touchwiz ROM..

No, it is not *exactly* the same hardware. It has more internal memory, less RAM, a different screen, different camera(s), and (most importantly), very different radios. Flashing a Galaxy S ROM will brick brick your Galaxy Player. Perhaps forever.
Besides, there isn't a recovery (like ClockWork Mod recovery) for the galaxy player that I know of yet, so flashing most of the ROMs for galaxy s phones isn't even an option. (although, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)
I'm sure devs will develop a clockworkmod recovery and custom roms. It's an android ipod touch who wouldn't develop on these. They know that a lot of people will buy these. I hope there will be

Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 PM

My bad on the processor naming thing - when I examined the specs of a Galaxy S on there, it specified hummingbird, so I figured that it wasn't the same.

My score on quadrant was 1,048... I can't see it scoring in the 3,000's even if I were to overclock while running. That's quite a leap.

Maybe we are not using the same software? I am running something called "Quadrant standard"

Old 10-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Alright, electron's 100% on spot, I just want to make sure no one misses it.
So, uh, don't do it.
Why, yes! Thank you, Mr. Steinburger

Quote:
I'm sure devs will develop a clockworkmod recovery and custom roms. It's an android ipod touch who wouldn't develop on these. They know that a lot of people will buy these. I hope there will be
For the sake of everyone who owns one of these, I really hope so. If I had more time/knowledge, I would totally try to do so myself.

Quote:
My bad on the processor naming thing - when I examined the specs of a Galaxy S on there, it specified hummingbird, so I figured that it wasn't the same.

My score on quadrant was 1,048... I can't see it scoring in the 3,000's even if I were to overclock while running. That's quite a leap.

Maybe we are not using the same software? I am running something called "Quadrant standard"
A. Really? I find that quite odd, as my SGS based phone never says hummingbird in quadrant (although I *know* it is).

B. Remember that quadrant scores are easy to play with, but we are using the same benchmark.
Here is why a properly ROM'd SGS can score so high:
  1. The Samsung Galaxy S used the old/slow RFS file system, causing slow read/write speeds and slower performance to the user in general. This can be solved by a Kernel that auto-converts /system, /data, and /cache to ext4. (not yet available on the SGP)
  2. Debloated ROMs usually have better performance, but also remove some (sometimes helpful) default apps.
  3. The kernel samsung uses does not have a very good alogrithem for scaling the CPU up and down. Running a quadrant (or any benchmark) a few times in a row can help solve this.
  4. Tweaks such as loopysmoothness, kick-ass kernel tweaks, and V6 supercharger greatly improve RAM management, leading to overall higher performance. (I might make a post on this later ).