android
Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

Default Firmware

I would like to know if there will be any new firmware on my new samsung galaxy s wifi 4.0 but it says "this version of the device cannot be updated" does this mean there will not be any updates for it at all or it cannot be updated for the time until there is new firmware. Does this apply to all samsung devices?

Last edited by BMNB1tch; 06-06-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Samsung Moderator

Search for "this version of the device cannot be updated" on google and you'll find several results for Samsung smartphones (not for the Wifi 4.0 though, you're one of the first owners here as you have noticed)

Make sure you have the latest Kies version.
And there's no reason you cannot upgrade your firmware IF a new version is available.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

well kies is the latest version... and the update i seen from you and samsunghub.com says its for korean models-_-. Are we supposed to get those updates too and instead of "this version of the device cannot be updated" shouldn't it be " this is the latest firmware"?

Last edited by BMNB1tch; 06-06-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:22 PM

This is something I was wondering too. IF you're not tied to a cell carrier with the wifi-only device, why can't you just upgrade to whatever version of Android you want? I guess it's a Samsung customized firmware that's built upon Froyo that it ships with, or something. Is it safe to assume there will be some way to force it to upgrade to generic Android OS as updates come out in the future? I'm told Samsung isn't very timely with their official updates to Android.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:33 PM

The Korean devices have different hardware than the international versions. Like the DMB antenna.

So what would be the point in upgrading to that firmware if it only addressed Korean device issues?

Samsung's pretty good about firmware in their other devices, right (in longterm support, if not expediency)? I can't imagine this would be any different.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

Since some devices are already updated to 2.3.5 I wonder when would the Hong Kong/Taiwan version of the YP-G1 gets the update. I wonder if Samsung would even put 2.4/4.0 in the Series