android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 10-16-2011, 06:24 AM

Default Accessories for the Galaxy Players 4.0 & 5.0 (YP-G1 & YP-G70)

Hi all,

I recently bought a an SGP 4.0 and I'm now looking to buy a quality case to protect my new toy! I'm guessing that the current lack of options is due to the ridiculous release and marketing strategy by Samsung across the world, but I guess we should start seeing more popping up on the market.

Initially I was thinking that I could simply buy a Samsung S (phone) case and use that, but the SGP 4.0 is actually a couple of millimetres longer (I think width is the same) and I'm a bit worried that that could make all the difference for what is probably already a snug fit.

Personally, I'm looking for a leather flip case like those produced by Zenus for the Samsung S, but I guess I'll keep this thread open to all cases for the SGP 4.0.

Through my own searches I've come across the following:

PDAir: http://www.pdair.com/catalog/index.p...00085_11001295 (if the flip case didn't have a magnetic clasp then I'd get it!)

Krusell and Ecolife: http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...categoryid=752

Rearth and Zenus: http://www.exportprive.com/advanced_...sort=2a&page=1 (I notice on here that Zenus recommend the Galaxy S case for the SGP 4.0, so perhaps that means the extra couple of mm don't really matter?)

Obviously there's ebay as well...but I'd rather something with a bit more quality if possible.

Another nice case I found was the Skinomi, but they only make it for the 5.0 at the moment.

I guess the most ideal solution would be if someone owned both a Samsung S and a SGP 4.0 and could clarify whether the extra couple of mm makes any difference or not. Any takers?

Otherwise, if you've come across other sites/manufacturers that supply cases for the SGP 4.0 it would be great if you could let me know!

Cheers!
Andrew.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Good post! Could we also include screen protectors? I haven't found any for the U.S. version with capacitive button. Wanting something good like invisible shield or ghost armor!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Yep, I already about from ZAGG and got both a ZAGG skin and screen protector that has it for the U.S Version (home button is covered too considering it covers the capacitive home button). Both 4.0 and 5.0 sold at ZAGG.

Disclamer: I'm not a rep from ZAGG, I'm actually waiting on Otterbox haha.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:56 PM

[Edit: 10/19/2011 - Oh no! Suddenly my pictures vanished.]

Hey everyone. (First time posting, but I've been following ABI for MP3 player reviews for a few years. I've joined the forums section of ABI recently because of the SGP 4.0.)

Around August I bought a "NiLLKiN" case from an eBay seller for the SGP 4.0 for less than $14 USD in case the SGP 4.0 does come to the US, and it did. I bought my SGP from J&R on Wednesday after I called them about the availability of the device in their store. They had them in stock, so I stopped by during my 4-hour gap between classes that day.

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Samsung-...item2314c0d3c2 This is the case that I have. It also comes with a screen protector, a screen cleaning cloth, and a mobile cleaner with a strap. The seller also has other colors available if you don't want the case in blue. Hard cases are also available, but I don't know how good those are.)

Several days after I ordered this, cheaper silicone cases emerged. This case is pretty high quality. It's made from a soft, yet durable material that isn't a dust or lint magnet, and it slides in and out of your pocket easily.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

As you can see from this image, I did not use the included screen protector that came with the case, that's why it doesn't exactly fit the player. The reason is because the included screen protector is meant to be used with the Hong Kong (or international) version SGP 4.0. It has a hole on the bottom for the physical home button, so it would look awkward on the US version that has a capacitive home button.

I ordered a pack of 6 Galaxy Vibrant screen protectors. It turns out that they're a little short in terms of length. (About 3mm shorter.) I purposely stuck the screen protector a little bit lower, that explains why 1mm of the screen protector is blocking the earpiece part. I did it to sort of balance out the bareness that the bottom of the player would get if I aligned the screen protector perfectly from the top coming down.

Here is the back of the case:

(I took my pictures on top of a sketchbook with front and back covers that have a nice matte texture.)

As you can tell, the holes on the case aren't perfectly aligned with the player. Then again, maybe the US version of the player had been somewhat altered. Although they're a little off, they don't affect the device's performance in any way.

...The upper rectangular border frames the player name on the non-US versions of the SGP 4.0 perfectly, though.

In case you're wondering, the case itself is glossy. All the silicone cases I've seen have a matte texture.

The 'darker' part of the back of the case is actually ridged. I guess it gives you better grip...?

[Edit] Judging from the image of this case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gray-TPU-Case-Cover-Samsung-Galaxy-S-Wifi-4-0-YP-G1-/220869089867?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item336cd2da4 b, I guess the holes are not supposed to align perfectly?

The other things that came with the soft case:

- The packaging itself is written in Chinese.
- The phone strap is a screen cleaner.
- I didn't use the screen protector. Who would've guessed the US would be getting the device without the physical home button?

...Um, well, there you have it.

The bottom line is if you want a case that fits perfectly for the US version, I suggest you look elsewhere. I actually quite like this case, but unfortunately it wasn't made with the US version in mind.

I might eventually buy a new case and screen protectors meant for the US version when cheaper ones emerge.

---
By the way, is it just me or do you guys also notice a gap on the player's front screen. If you look carefully, is there a really, really small gap on between the glass and the metallic frame on the top?

Last edited by bleunoir; 10-19-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:08 PM

I bought a zipper case for a Nintendo DS at Big Lots for $5.00. You have to carefully drill out the plastic clip inside for the Nintendo. After that it fits the 5.0 more or less perfectly. I also velcroed on the back of small picture frame I got from Michael's for $2.00. It makes a dandy kick stand for watching movies. The kick stand is on the player, not the case.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM

Hmm, still not finding any screen protectors for the 4.0 other than zagg
I contacted ghost armor suggesting the look into the devices but received no response.
Any one else find some?

EDIT: So, if you look real close at the invisible shield form zagg, you'll notice they show the 4.0 with the physical home button?
Has anyone gotten one from zagg yet?

Last edited by iJimaniac; 10-19-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
Hmm, still not finding any screen protectors for the 4.0 other than zagg
I contacted ghost armor suggesting the look into the devices but received no response.
Any one else find some?

EDIT: So, if you look real close at the invisible shield form zagg, you'll notice they show the 4.0 with the physical home button?
Has anyone gotten one from zagg yet?
Hendrix makes screen protectors for the Korean model. Samsung gave me a pair of screen protectors from them when I bought the device.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 PM

I ordered the Zaggs invisibleSHIELD Full Body protector for GP5. Haven't received them yet but I figure they should protect my player until someone decides to make a good hard case for the GP5. I'm hoping Otterbox will make one eventually.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Default Accessories??

Anyone know of any accessories for the 4.0? I am looking for a hard/rubber shell for the exterior and maybe a clock/docking station to set on a nightstand and charge. Something ala the IHome.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:13 PM

....Good luck. Also you might ask the "Cases for the 4.0" thread.

Edit: Moved that thread to here, so..... yea.
Aria Pro II SB Elite II

Last edited by wolf 6; 10-25-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Best Buy has some ZAGG screen protectors and Riot Outfitters hard cases -- for both the 4.0 and the 5.0.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:56 PM

I have a dock from back when I had an ipod touch, I bought an extra adapter (link below) and can use my ipod dock with an android device

http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockBoss.html

*I am not in any way associated with this product, and do not care whether or not you buy it. I am just mentioning something related to the topic*

Old 10-25-2011, 04:47 AM

Just found this case made by Melkco. I'm very tempted...

http://www.carrymobile.com/smartphon...-wifi-4-0.html

Has anyone had any experience with Melkco in terms of quality?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Hey, this thread is kinda redundant since we already have one.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=66041
No, I'm not a moderator but I don't know where they are.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
No, I'm not a moderator but I don't know where they are.
Moderators may be busy and don't necessarily spend all their free-time on ABI nor read all posts.

That said, your suggestion was good. I merged the threads, renamed and sticked it.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Thank you! I didn't mean you mods weren't doing your job, I just meant I didn't know who the moderators are since I'm kinda new to the forum!
Also just found these for if you just want a cheap screen protector! Doesanyone know the quality of stealth shieldz or EZguardz?

Last edited by iJimaniac; 10-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM

Are the Zaag Invisible shield no good? After checking out the site there screen protector for the SGS Player 4 & 5 seems to be good quality.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 PM

I ordered the 5'' Zenus for the Samsung Galaxy S5 mediaplayer from Korea i got it within 10 days packet and ship et to the Netherlands.
Very fast delivery from exportprive.com

Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 PM

I can't access exportprive, I haven't able to at all. I'm guessing the site is down?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 AM

All Best Buy seems to have are those polycarbonate cases from Riot Outfitters. I had a look and don't care for them much.

Best Buy has Zagg screen shields for the 4.0 and 5.0 but Best Buy has them overpriced as compared to Zagg's own site.

I bought a big sheet of ZAGG material last Sunday when Best Buy had the Xoom ZAGG screen protector for $9.99USD. I plan on using the Samsung protectors (peeled off the player when opening) as a pattern to cut a full shield.

I'm really surprised with the lack of accessories from the usual suspects. I guess the release coinciding with the new iPod Touch and iPhone forced some decisions. Still, Samsung should have *something* available.