android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

ARMv7 in 2012 - Cortex A15, Krait:

2012 is expected to be a transitional year for the mobile SOC industry. Onon hand, Nvidia is going to try to use last year's A9 technology in its Tegra 3 SOC, but in a quad-core configuration reportedly topping out at 1.3ghz (1.4ghz for single-core). This means a theoretical DMIPS of 3,250 per core or 13,000 total. In theory, this is a huge boost over 2011's CPUs. In practice, you need to remember that nothing makes 100% efficient use of multiple cores. Due to this, you're not going to see 4x the performance over one core. It also means that more powerful dual-cores can smoke this little quad-core (this is like those cheaper Phenom 1.3ghz quad cores getting killed by an Intel Core2Duo). Basically, yes the Tegra 3 is a true quad-core, but it is using 2011 technology in 2012 and cannot quite keep up. Also, Tegra 3 is on the 40nm process, the same as Tegra 2. Most of the battery savings from Tegra 3 will be from the use of that low-power companion core.

Speaking of those higher-end dual-cores, we have three serious entrants into the arena this year. The first to likely launch is Qualcomm with their new Krait MPCore. This CPU delivers 3.3 DMIPS per clock cycle, making it roughly 50% faster than Scorpion at the same clock rate. This will initially be offered in dual-core configurations with rumors of a quad-core hitting before the end of 2012. The dual-core Krait is reportedly being done on the 28nm process, which means hefty battery savings over current technology. It's also reportedly running at 1.5ghz, pushing out 4,950 DMIPS per core, or 9,900 as a system. Give the way current software is multitasked, I'd take this over Tegra 3 for today's software, but eventually, Tegra 3 would surpass it.

The next two SOCs are surprisingly identical; the Texas Insturments OMAP 5 series and the Exynos 5 series. Both of these are dual-core and based on 28nm Cortext A15 running at 2 ghz. A15 puts out 3.5 DMIPS per clock cycle, making these two CPUs push 7,000 DMIPS per core, or 14,000 as a system. Exynos 5250 is one rumored SOC for the Galaxy S III, whereas OMAP5 isn't expected until later in 2012. This means that if the Exynos 5250 ends up in the SGS3, then Samsung could once again have the performance crown early in the year. We'll see. For now, here's a chart that illustrates theoretical performance and is listed in rumored release date order. I'll update this as more concrete information (IE, actual releases) happens. We still don't know the specifics of Apple's A6 SOC, but I'm going to speculate dual-core A15 @ 1.6ghz. This is without any evidence and won't be included in the chart. For comparative purposes, I've added in last year's equivalents to each SOC at their common high speeds.

Last edited by medion; 01-05-2012 at 12:40 PM.