android
Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 PM

Default new Galaxy PLayer 5 not recognized

OK I thought the days of hardware installation problems were over since Win 98.

I just received the Galaxy 5 Player (no phone) yesterday. I had previously downloaded the Kies software and the PDF manual. I thought I was ready for an error free connection and install.

My XP machine found the new hardware (I thought) and I off I went to use the Apps that came on the player. No problems until I connected to the Kies Software where I was informed that the device is not supported etc.

I contacted Samsung where we were unable to solve the conflict and in fact after 2 unsuccessful drive format attempts we tried a "device reset"

After the reset the problem is still there.

Drive E mass storage is shown
Drive F mass storage is shown (32 gb mirco SDHC card)

neither drive will allow Windows to format.

So I have a nifty wi fi device that won't let me transfer files to. I have a case number with Samsung and we are scheduled for a new tech call.

Anybody have any ideas what might be going on. Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-26-2011, 02:42 PM

Hi

I'm guessing if you're seeing your phone show up as drives on your PC, your SGP's USB connection is in "Mass Storage" mode. To connect to Kies, you need to set it to "Samsung Kies". From your home screen, it's Menu->Settings->Wireless and Network->Usb Settings.

Alternatively, you can also download the Kies Air app from the samsung appstore. It lets you upload/download to your phone via Wifi.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:58 PM

OK where to start...

What version of Kies are you using? Did you download from the Samsung site the version specifically for the WiFi Player (there is also a version stored on the Device in the Manual-PCProgram folder) [Kies_2.0.0.11044_11_3]? Other versions are not compatible.

Just like any Samsung Android device that uses Kies, you need to put the player in one of three USB modes Kies, Media, or Mass Storage. Kies allows the player to interface with the player when plugged into your PC's USB port. Media Player puts the player into MTP mode so that it can interface with PC media players such as Windows Media Player for media transfer. USB Mass Storage - puts the player's onboard (internal) and external (microSD card) storage into USB Mass storage mode so that they appear as drives in Windows Explorer [or whatever file explorer program you use) so you can drag and drop files onto either storage drive as desired. To select the USB mode you need to go to settings (from the home screen select menu then settings), go into the Wireless and network section (I know, not intuitive) and select USB settings.

Hope this helps get you started.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Default some progress

OK, I'm using Kies ver 2.0.3.1182_152 latest update from the Samsung site for the Galaxy 5 Player (no phone)

I now have the Player in Kies mode and the Kies Software "tries" to connect to the device but after 5 min of watching the "spinning wheel" I canceled the connection attempt.

Also I forgot to mention on the player LCD screen in the upper left hand corner I have a ! message icon stating "USB storage damaged. it may need to be formatted.

I have tried both the on board format option and using also windows.

Windows says it can't format the drive.
On board format says "erasing USB.........." with no error message

still cannot transfer files either in Kies mode or USB mode.

I'm stumped. Thanks

Like I said the explorer directory tree shows both E: and F: but neither are accessible.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsay777 View Post
OK, I'm using Kies ver 2.0.3.1182_152 latest update from the Samsung site for the Galaxy 5 Player (no phone)

I now have the Player in Kies mode and the Kies Software "tries" to connect to the device but after 5 min of watching the "spinning wheel" I canceled the connection attempt.

Also I forgot to mention on the player LCD screen in the upper left hand corner I have a ! message icon stating "USB storage damaged. it may need to be formatted.

I have tried both the on board format option and using also windows.

Windows says it can't format the drive.
On board format says "erasing USB.........." with no error message

still cannot transfer files either in Kies mode or USB mode.

I'm stumped. Thanks

Like I said the explorer directory tree shows both E: and F: but neither are accessible.
Did you try to format your player in the settings? (the SD card option)

Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM

Default more progress

OK, i've finally connected in Kies mode and have transfered some mp3 to the player and they play ok.

Still in Mass Storage mode the drives are listed but not accessible.