android
Old 02-03-2011, 12:05 AM

Default Transferring MP3s from 30Gb Zen Xtra to PC?

I recently found a lost Zen Xtra that has many obscure mp3s on it that had no backup. I have changed computers twice since I used it, and now have no software or anything for it other than charger and Zen.

What is the most efficient way to transfer the mp3 files from the Zen to a PC, if it is even possible?

I did a fair amount of searching around for the answer here and elsewhere and got some hints (e.g., PlaysForSure firmware), but nothing directly answering the question. I would appreciate any help you can give - point me to threads, sites, firmware, software, etc. Don't mind dismantling the Zen. Thanks much!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey welcome to ABi...

I have 2 Zen Xtras 40GBs. I recall that I nearly bricked both of them updating to the PlaysForSure FW from Creative. Google it - a zillion problems with the process.

I finally got them back to normal status, but to answer your question, on my XP machines I use Winamp to manage both devices. Works like a charm for me.

Wait for more experienced Creative folks to jump in with suggestions.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-04-2011, 10:50 AM

I have used Winamp or directly through Windows (My Computer --> device)

What firmware version does the Zen Xtra have on it right now? You can find this out using the setup/options menu on the device

Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Hey kullyrai, if that was directed at me, I am afraid I cannot answer that - I am in HK and the 2 Zen Xtras are still in NYC...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefear View Post
I recently found a lost Zen Xtra that has many obscure mp3s on it that had no backup. I have changed computers twice since I used it, and now have no software or anything for it other than charger and Zen.

What is the most efficient way to transfer the mp3 files from the Zen to a PC, if it is even possible?

I did a fair amount of searching around for the answer here and elsewhere and got some hints (e.g., PlaysForSure firmware), but nothing directly answering the question. I would appreciate any help you can give - point me to threads, sites, firmware, software, etc. Don't mind dismantling the Zen. Thanks much!
To answer your question view this post. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...66&postcount=4

Old 10-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
To answer your question view this post. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...66&postcount=4
the links you posted in that thread don't work anymore. Which piece of software were they supposed to direct to?

p.s. I'm trying to get songs off my zen too.

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdedo View Post
the links you posted in that thread don't work anymore. Which piece of software were they supposed to direct to?

p.s. I'm trying to get songs off my zen too.

Thanks.
The question for you is how did you transfer them from you pc to your zen in the first place? If you used "Creative MediaSource" software from creative, go to their site dl it and install it. IIRC this should be an MTP link and once your player is recognized you should see the files within that software and next to the track list you should see an option to transfer. If it had been connected via MSC, then windows explorer should do the trick, find device, look to the music on it and drag & drop to pc.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc