android
Old 10-29-2011, 02:05 PM

Default Rockbox: Clip Zip

Clip Zip port status, read this first: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaCli...ip_port_status
Rockbox manual, read this as well: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...box-build.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current firmware builds can be found here: Current Rockbox build (This link is automatically updated whenever a new revision is released.)

Alternatively, here's my patched build, containing several tweaks and additions that might be useful to some: 120414-449dff4M-sansaclipzip (FS#9305, FS#11052, FS#11304, FS#12075, Meier v4, channel swap, keymap) - dfkt

Here's a bootloader: sansaclipzip-01.01.18-rockbox_bootloader-v4.0 (official v4.0 bootloader) or sansaclipzip-01.01.20-rockbox_bootloader-120513-5f7d5b8.zip (bootloader with newer stock firmware) - I'm not responsible if your Clip Zip catches on fire, kicks your puppy, etc. This bootloader boots Rockbox by default - hold the volume down button or the left button while powering on to boot the stock firmware and/or connect via USB to your computer.

Installation instructions: Make sure the battery is charged. The Clip Zip has to be in MSC mode, not MTP/Auto. Unpack the bootloader and a firmware build to the root of the Clip Zip. That's all.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some first UI themes: DFKT Minimum Zip | Lebellium Samsung-like | Cabbie v2 | Uberadri's BigAlbumArt
The official theme site is online too: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansaclipzip

Windows builds of the UI Simulator, for testing/creating themes, or simply trying Rockbox on a virtual Clip Zip: http://rasher.dk/rockbox/simulator/s...ip-sim-w32.zip (This link is automatically updated whenever a new revision is released.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer
  • Even though the bootloader installation and rockbox itself are tested, there's always a risk of BRICKING your device PERMANENTLY. Some Sansa AMS (m200 v4, C200 v2, Clip v2) have no known method for recovery, so this risk will not go away, even in (if any) future stable releases.
  • There's no known user-friendly recovery method for the AMS Sansas, those of them who can be unbricked (not all of them can) need to be physically opened, and they can be potentially damaged in the process.
  • Installation of a bootloader may or may not permanently disable DRM support, even if you uninstall it (this might only be true if you change the Date/Time settings).
  • mkamsboot will reject OF files which were not tested by us. If you try to patch a newer firmware, it will refuse. Use an older firmware.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

More info: Clip Zip forum thread on rockbox.org

Hats off to Bertrik!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Hats off to Bertrik!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Great news, yea not ready for prime time but it's still great to read we're on the way more now than before

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Awesome news! Can't wait for Rockbox to be fully functional on the Clip Zip. Hope the support for the Zip will be as good, as it were/is for the Clip+.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:04 PM

Old 10-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Oh crap! You just had to go and make it easy.

Now I gotta go get one and check it out.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks like Bertrik has been busy!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Although not yet ready for prime time, incredibly fast with this port effort, with the Clip Zip only being out 2 months! Kudos!

Old 10-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So is it running pretty well? I'm starting to feel tempted, especially after noticing a couple of track transitions in a gapless album last night with my Zip.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:40 PM

I had no issues so far.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 AM

Updated build in first post.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:08 PM

i see the zip has now been upgraded to unstable meaning it's in the build system on the rockbox site.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:09 PM

Updated build in first post.

Quote:
[21:26] <CIA-75> New commit by gevaerts (r30874): Add Clip Zip build
[21:35] <CIA-75> New commit by gevaerts (r30875): Add Clip Zip as unstable
[21:38] <CIA-75> New commit by gevaerts (r30876): Add Clip Zip to unstable ports on the front page

Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I ran dfkt's 30872 patched build for several hours Monday evening at work, just doing sequential play, and it played just fine. Just updated to the current clean build, and will give that a whirl tomorrow.

Edit: I've run build 30879 for a few hours yesterday and today, just playing albums. Playback has been fine, only hiccups were a couple of freezes upon disconnect from computer which were remedied by a basic reset.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 11-02-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:00 AM

Default Rockbox on CLIP ZIP?

OK, I've read through the posts associated with Clip Zip and Rockbox and I'm interested in trying this at some point. I may leave this until it's a little further developed. However, I've never used RB before.

I notice there are guides for the Clip and Clip+ are these required reading for someone with a ZIP or will there be a guide for the Zip that I'd be better off waiting for?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:05 AM

It's the exact same procedure with the Zip as with the other Clip variants.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSigh View Post
... ... I notice there are guides for the Clip and Clip+ are these required reading for someone with a ZIP or will there be a guide for the Zip that I'd be better off waiting for?
Once rockbox is released for the zip there will be a manual, while guides vary a little from player to player the features and rockbox remain basically the same. I always recommend new users to read the manual, heck I refer to it every time I want to try out something different that I don’t frequently use. Even if you don't move forward, I would recommend you to read the manual first, this way you'll know what to expect and what features you may benefit from ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM

Default Clip Zip and Rockbox questions.

Hello,

1) Putting the Rockbox OS on the Clip Zip is like putting a different ROM on an Android phone, where you get increased functionality (such as better EQ), at the cost of... what? No warranty?

2) What functionality can't the Clip Zip port do currently (or known bugs/issues)? I can't seem to find where I can read about this. The SansaAMS wiki page just has the comment:
A port for the Clip Zip is in progress based on the extremely similar Clip+, but is not yet installable.

P.S. I didn't post this in the "Sansa Clip / Clip+ Rockbox", as it doesn't have "Clip Zip" in that category >.>.

Last edited by skip252; 11-03-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Moved to Rockbox Clip Zip sticky

Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktheCasbah View Post
Hello,

1) Putting the Rockbox OS on the Clip Zip is like putting a different ROM on an Android phone, where you get increased functionality (such as better EQ), at the cost of... what? No warranty?
No warranty, although it doesn't replace the stock firmware like with Android. Both are installed and you can boot either at startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktheCasbah View Post
2) What functionality can't the Clip Zip port do currently (or known bugs/issues)? I can't seem to find where I can read about this. The SansaAMS wiki page just has the comment:
A port for the Clip Zip is in progress based on the extremely similar Clip+, but is not yet installable.
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaCli...ip_port_status

So basically plugins/video and some graphics/themes haven't been ported over yet.