android
Old 10-30-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Hello, and welcome! You'll enjoy the 4.0, but next time listen to your wife. The larger screen of the 5.0 and larger battery, and LED flash you get is easily worth more than the price difference. Any screen quality differences are only noticable if you have both of them side-by-side. You'll love the one you have, but the grass is always greener on the other screen...
The 5 seems WAY too chunky to be comfortable or portable though

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Samsung Moderator

I got both in my hand for 2 months. The 4.0 has definitely a much better screen and fits easily a pocket.
But the 5.0 has a much better battery life too.

I wouldn't like to be in the position to choose between them hihi

Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler_ View Post
The 5 seems WAY too chunky to be comfortable or portable though
I had the same worry. It turned out to not be a big deal at all.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motchmaster View Post
I had the same worry. It turned out to not be a big deal at all.
How've you found it so far then? Sound and what not? How do the apps handle (are you severely restricted in what you can get from the Marketplace, or is anything that says 2.2.2 and lower, e.g. 2.2.1 etc. able to go on it?)

Old 10-30-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
How've you found it so far then? Sound and what not? How do the apps handle (are you severely restricted in what you can get from the Marketplace, or is anything that says 2.2.2 and lower, e.g. 2.2.1 etc. able to go on it?)
App support is much better on the 5 than it was on my Archos 32. I haven't found an App I want to use that I can't install. If there are Apps that says you can only use on 2.2.2 or lower, I don't see how it would be any different on this (2.3.5). I believe I have all the popular and essential apps installed. Any specific App you're worried about?

If I had to, I'd be happy listening to music with this.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motchmaster View Post
App support is much better on the 5 than it was on my Archos 32. I haven't found an App I want to use that I can't install. If there are Apps that says you can only use on 2.2.2 or lower, I don't see how it would be any different on this (2.3.5). I believe I have all the popular and essential apps installed. Any specific App you're worried about?

If I had to, I'd be happy listening to music with this.
No specific app. I'm just aware that different Android devices run different OS' (Gingerbread, Froyo etc) and was wondering if this would impact on which devices can run which apps

Old 10-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Oh, ok. Just checked, it's Super Clear LCD. Question still stands
Super Clear LCD it not as rich as Super AMOLED but it is better than a ordinary TFT LCD screen. I did compare it with an Ipod Touch and the colors are better, viewing angles too and its brighter too.

Hope it helps.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 PM

Man i'm conflicted between the 4 and 5. The five just seems to darn big. Plus the super clear LCd and TFT thing also has me conflicted. I traval alot via public transportation here in New York and i don't wanna take out this huge chunky and wide 5 inch media player when i can have the 4 which is not chunky and wide (I haven't seen any of the models in person so i don't really know how the 5 looks compare to the 4 but i've seen tons of videos and pics on the web and the 5 model seems to big.

What i don't understand though is why didn't Samsung include a flash with the 4 inch model? The battery life isn't isn't a biggie for me cause i can just purchase a second battery and just that one handy for when the first one dies. I'm looking for more opinions though.

Last edited by XBlackChaosX; 10-30-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBlackChaosX View Post
Man i'm conflicted between the 4 and 5. The five just seems to darn big. I traval alot via public transportation here in New York and i don't wanna take out this huge chunky and wide 5 inch media player when i can have the 4 which is not chunky and wide (I haven't seen any of the models in person so i don't really know how the 5 looks compare to the 4 but i've seen tons of videos and pics on the web and the 5 model seems to big. What i don't understand though is why didn't Samsung include a flash with the 4 inch model? The battery life isn't isn't a biggie for me cause i can just purchase a second battery and just that one handy for when the first one dies. I'm looking for more opinions though.
Same, I want the 4, but it's more expensive than the 5 over here and the 5 does things 4 doesn't, but then again 4 has a better screen and is smaller.

Does anyone know if these come with Gingerbread 2.3.5 out the box or are they still on 2.2.2 Froyo (how do you update?)

EDIT: Then again, there is the iPod Touch I was going for first

Last edited by nightcrawler_; 10-30-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:45 PM

I believe i read in a different forum that most of these in the US comes with Gingerbread preinstalled, But i'm not sure so don't quote me on that.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:52 PM

I have seen some running Gingerbread 2.3.5, but like you, no idea how they got it on there

Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Me neither, it's not like CM7 works on it so maybe samsung has pushed the update on some of the players. Or maybe they found a rom but i doubt it cause the galaxy s player is pretty new in the US.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 PM

I'm hearing from multiple places that there are problems with the WiFi on these things (I think that includes the 5 as well), can anyone confirm this?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll confirm I have no problem with WiFi on my 4.0 or 5.0.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I'm hearing from multiple places that there are problems with the WiFi on these things (I think that includes the 5 as well), can anyone confirm this?

I have read tons of articles on this (Doing research) and i've never heard anyone mention that problem, Most likely it's only a very limited amount of people that are experiencing this.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 PM

To be clear, the 5.0 LCD is very good. Not a cheap TN but a good PVA/MVA type panel with excellent viewing angles from all directions. The screen doesn't invert color or contrast at any angle. The most noticeable effect is a slight washing out of colors at extreme angles and a slight shift to aqua with certain shades of blue.

Make no mistake, the 4.0 screen is superior but the 5.0 is quite good and better than most home monitors that are based on cheap TN panels.

Haven't had a problem with WiFi.

Last edited by TexasRockbox; 10-31-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-31-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
To be clear, the 5.0 LCD is very good. Not a cheap TN but a good PVA/MVA type panel with excellent viewing angles from all directions. The screen doesn't invert color or contrast at any angle. The most noticeable effect is a slight washing out of colors an d extreme angles and a slight shift to aqua with certain shades of blue.

Make no mistake, the 4.0 screen is superior but the 5.0 is quite good and better than most home monitors that are based on cheap TN panels.

Haven't had a problem with WiFi.
I can also say that the screen quality on the 5 is very good. No WiFi problems yet.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I have seen some running Gingerbread 2.3.5, but like you, no idea how they got it on there
Got the 4.0 from Best Buy and it had 2.3.5 out of the box.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakEd View Post
Got the 4.0 from Best Buy and it had 2.3.5 out of the box.
The Samsung players intended for sale in the USA market through Samsung retail distribution channels should all have Gingerbread 2.3.5.