android
Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 AM

Default X7 lasted less than 24 hours

So I just got an X7 as a belated birthday gift from my parents. I was pretty pleased to discover that they had picked one up for me in Miami to replace my sadly malfunctioning P3.

The first thing I did with it was load it full of my music. And this took a while so I only got to use it a little last night in passing. So I was especially looking forward to todays commute into university to see how well it works in the wild so to speak. This is where things go terribly wrong.

I walk downstairs my bag in one hand X7 in the other and decide I want to grab a drink. So like most people would I stick the X7 in my pocket(of my rather spacious cargo trousers) grab a drink from the fridge quickly then leave the house. Then as I walked to the street from the back door I pull out my X7.

However when I pull it out I notice faint streak across the screen. At first I thought this was just a mark from my finger or a crease in the screen protector which I had ignored yesterday. No when I try to rub it off I see it is in fact a massive crack from one end of the glass to the other. It may have been always there and I didn't notice or it lasted in my pocket for all of 10 or 15 paces. So I really want to know if its really that fragile or is mine just a dud.

Other than it having a massive crack I was otherwise really pleased with it. Got all 109Gb of music from my collection on it. My biggest issue was it was going to be a pain to find anything and pining for the letter search I used to have on my old walkman.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Not sure what caused it, but I carry mine in my back jeans pocket, jacket pocket and the basket of my scooter, the only protection is a thin carry bag with no problems or damage.
Dave

Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I often carry mine to and from work, and have yet to experience any malfunction or serious issue with it. Bring yours back, it's defective.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A case could have prevented this you know,...just sayin' is all,...

Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
As for me, I never bought a case for mine. Seems to be bult like a brick shit house that can take abuse. I'm very careful with mine, so maybe that's why I don't have any issues with it.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorscot View Post
My biggest issue was it was going to be a pain to find anything and pining for the letter search I used to have on my old walkman.
You have several alternative flash UIs for the X7 allowing letter search.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Just got the refund on my X7 back so at the moment I am pondering whether or not to buy another one. Most reports say its a pretty solid device even though the glass was a little thin for my tastes. Maybe mines was just unlucky.

Quote:
Any device that can't survive 10 meters in a spacious pocket wasn't even going to be saved by a case unless it was made of high grade steel. I think it was probably damaged before I got my hands on it to be honest even thin glass shouldn't crack with so little stress.

Quote:
You have several alternative flash UIs for the X7 allowing letter search.
I noticed that but I got a lot of dead links when trying to download them. I got one for the homescreen but all the other download links for the other UCIs spit back errors.

I am probably going to hum and haw for a couple days over what to do. Since it was bought in the US with the conversion rate it would the 120gb not the 160 I would get. That's fine the extra 40Gb isn't such a huge issue for me as I only used 103Gb all in the last time.

So its down to the X7 or the J3 again. I kind of wish Samsung made a 64gb P3 because I would buy that in a hot minute if the touch screen on my P3 hadn't almost completely died I would still be using it. I just wish the prices weren't so exorbitant. I only paid 147 for my P3 and now the J3 the closest thing to it is almost 100 more and there is nothing comparable in 32-64gb capacity in the 140-200 price range.

PS. If I was getting another X7 I would most definitely get a case I actually had to cancel the order for one when I returned the X7. So what is the best one to get the official Cowon, igadgetz or Tuff Luv. I had the Tuff Luv one on order before because I have used the cases before for other things so I know they get the job done but how good is the official one?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:02 PM

I have the official white leather case, and I don't like it that much.
Although the leather is nice and the magnetic lock well done, there is ONE major flaw: the sides and corners are not covered, there are only 4 small "claws" to hold the player in place, which do not offer much lateral protection to the X7.

When you consider that, in case of fall, there is a high chance that a corner of the X7 will be damaged since none of them are covered...

I had a Cowon D2 with a similar white leather case, and it was much better designed, actually protecting most of the player surface except the buttons, and with reinforced stitchings on the sides... and it was sold for half the price of the X7 case.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850