android
Old 11-04-2011, 08:48 PM

Default Opinion on Kies

Wanted to ask others what they think of Samsung's Kies. Do you use it primarily for syncing? I find that it mainly useful to let me know if any firmware updates is available. I also find that WMP is better at syncing music. For movies, video and photos just drag and drop. Are others coming to the same conclusion as me or are you finding more uses with Kies?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 AM

Kies is a pain in the butt for me as it doesn't run on Linux. There is a program called Heimdall that allegedly can run it, but I don't know how to install Heimdall as I'm missing one of the necessary libraries.

Last edited by Joe_Linux; 11-05-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 AM

I find it very slow and annoying. I don't use it for syncing at all. I just open it up every once in awhile to see if there is a firmware update, which it just say "This version of the device cannot be updated" or whatever so it probably won't even have use for that. I just drag and drop everything, mainly onto my 32gb microSD card. I really like the drag and drop option. I think it's much preferable to being tied to software like itunes or zune.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlofty View Post
I find it very slow and annoying. I don't use it for syncing at all. I just open it up every once in awhile to see if there is a firmware update, which it just say "This version of the device cannot be updated" or whatever so it probably won't even have use for that. I just drag and drop everything, mainly onto my 32gb microSD card. I really like the drag and drop option. I think it's much preferable to being tied to software like itunes or zune.
Most of your views is about the same as mine. Seeing if there is a firmware update for my GP5 is about all I am finding use for it. I find drag and drop the fastest and easiest way to load videos and photos onto it and using WMP to sync music as it immediately recognizes my GP5. I was thinking about uninstalling the Kies but I guess I will keep it just to check for firmaware updates.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM

well here is an opinion for ya'll... I plugged in my 4.0 and brought up Kies to see if there were any updates... yup, it said there is an update for kies so I did so and then I got the message that there was a firmware update... OK, go for it... all installed successfully and everything seemed happy but now kies tells me that "this device is not supported by kies 2.0"!!

what kind of a joke is that??

Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 PM

I'm getting the same message as well.

To be honest though, I'd much rather new firmware than a working version of Kies

Kies would have to be one of the slowest pieces of software I've ever come across. not to mention causing the odd unexpected reboot...