android
Old 11-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Default How durable is this player?

I'm a clumsy person, and I would like to get this player,but me dropping it about a millions times is inevitable. My main concern is how strong the screen is. is there anyone that can please help me?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Time will tell, the player is new. Will have to wait for a report after someone has dropped it. The screen glass is probably not Gorilla Glass but I think Samsung has characterized it as "strengthened glass". Speculation -- perhaps Samsung has a supplier that uses Gorilla Glass-type techniques but cannot call it "Gorilla Glass".

Old 11-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromiend View Post
I'm a clumsy person, and I would like to get this player,but me dropping it about a millions times is inevitable. My main concern is how strong the screen is. is there anyone that can please help me?
I think a case of some sort would help, I got one of those rubberized Gel cases for mine, I think would absorb most of the impact if dropped and also would make the gadget less likely to slip out of your hand.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromiend View Post
FWIW

I am impressed with the durability of the SGP5; Mine did take a couple of tumbles; one was a drop of about 3 1/2 feet onto the kitchen floor, and it has held up remarkably well without any signs of scoffs or damage.

The face/screen is of course the weakest point on the device & unless you can find a thick clear shell to cover it you will be SOL should it land wrong while you are using it.

My SGP5 is replacing a Cowon A2 which came with a excellent leather case so the first investment for my new toy was in a case similar in style; not the kind that gives it a purdy 'gel' backing, but rather something that will cover it front and back & protect it all around when closed.

Somewhere in a thread I read someone pointed out this leather case for a Archos player that could be picked up on ebay for a very reasonable price.
I purchased one and it does a decent job.

The case of course is not designed for the dimensions of the SGP5 and I made a slight modification to hold it snug. The case comes packaged with a foam insert to keep it from being crushed during shipping; trim off from the length of that insert a strip about 1/4 inch and place it in the bottom of the case. What this will do is raise the device up a bit so that it presses more firmly against the upper tab/holder to prevent the player from flopping out when you open the case or tilt it towards you....which would kinda defeat the purpose. It also, in lifting the player, brings the bottom edge of the screen up enough to keep it from being obscured.

The case cover folds back giving you a base to hold the unit up when watching videos in landscape mode; reminding me of the stock case that came with my Cowon A2 & which has held up remarkably well over the years despite a good number of bounces off the floor.

There are a couple similar styled cases that are designed specificly for the SGP5 that look interesting to me, mostly in the $30+ range, which have the cut outs for the speakers and camera, but for less than $8 this one will hold me over till I find one I want.

Have a Magical Day

Old 11-13-2011, 01:43 AM

Have dropped mine twice onto a concrete pavement - not a scratch insight, and no damage that I can tell of! Wouldn't mind getting some sort of protective case for it, though!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:21 PM

Dropped mine a couple times, once on the sidewalk from a couple feet, the chrome trim around the screen was scratched a bit, hoping they will come out with trim kits or custom case kits soon. But everything else was free from damage.