android
Old 11-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Default e355 vs e465

Can someone tell me if there is any appreciable difference between the e355 and the e465?

I can get the 465 for $10 more than the 355, but from looking at the specs they look like the same player.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

The E465 has better included headphones, uses the WM-Port instead of a standard mini usb and supports .mp4 in the video codecs. There may be more differences but those are the ones I remember from when I looked at the E465 first came on the market.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Default Thanks

I did some searching and googling....is there any advantage to the WM-Port. I've found lots of arguing and opinions, but no solid answer I've got the e355. Paid $89. Then saw the e465 on for $99. Trying to decide on whether or not I should exchange them....arg...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Administrator

For some reason the WM-Port connector only seems to be on the Sonys that support .mp4 video codec. If you planning on watching video you're pretty much restricted to the Sony transfer software or WMP 12 to encode your videos. The other use is for Sony docks to have full functionality. If you have one any sync or remote control functions need the WM-Port to work.

The Sony software is limited in the formats it works with and WMP is likely to double the size of a video during conversion. Windows Media Encoder 9 or Expressions can also work but can be tricky to set up and also have very limited codec support.

It's fairly easy to create a working video mp4 though. I use a Zune preset on a free video encoder. I played around with WinFF and a couple of iPod encoders and it wasn't hard to find a working preset. Being front ends for FFmpeg they handled any codec I tried.

That's all just a long winded way of saying if video playback isn't an priority I can't see any advantage to the WM-Port. The dock use is also pretty much a non-issue unless you have one or think you may get one in the future.

That said the cables themselves are dead cheap on Amazon. I picked up a couple of authentic Sony backups for $4 each when I ordered some other things and took advantage of the free shipping. They won't do me any good if I leave them at home and need a charge but I keep an extra in my everyday travel pack and haven't had a problem so far.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 PM

Default Cool beans

Thank you so much for the straight answer. I'll likely keep the e355 if it mainly comes down to video. I was more concerned with transfer speed/charge times. If there's no advantage there then I'd rather save my $10

Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The other use is for Sony docks to have full functionality. If you have one any sync or remote control functions need the WM-Port to work.
Also there are little WM-PORT dongles that Sony sold, which you might still find available:
- speaker dongle
- bluetooth dongle.

I have both. The speaker dongle is not loud at all. Probably best for listening to spoken word content (podcasts, audiobooks) in a quiet room, preferably held near your ear, like lying in bed. Draws just a little power from the player.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsavoie View Post
I did some searching and googling....is there any advantage to the WM-Port. I've found lots of arguing and opinions, but no solid answer I've got the e355. Paid $89. Then saw the e465 on for $99. Trying to decide on whether or not I should exchange them....arg...
There are line-out cables available for the WM-Port models, for those who are into the headphone amp scene. I hade one for a little while with an S639.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

There are also appliances(clock radios, speaker docks, etc.) that have Sony's proprietary connector. Those who want to dock a player will want the E465. Those who want a standard connector will want the e355.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
There are line-out cables available for the WM-Port models, for those who are into the headphone amp scene. I hade one for a little while with an S639.
I have what looks like a line-out cable (WM-PORT male to 3.5 mm male), but it's really a recording cable for the earlier S60x- and S70x-series. It only recorded in ATRAC, though.

Some recent Japan-only Sony models' advertising copy talked about recording, but that feature didn't come to other markets. Speculation only, but my guess is that those might have also recorded in ATRAC only, like the S60x/70x models did, which wouldn't be acceptable in other markets, i.e., we had already rejected ATRAC and SonicStage.

P.S. Just to be clear about video support, E-series with:
- mini-USB: one video format
- WM-PORT: several video formats

Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 PM

Default Decision made....

I ended up returning the e355 and trading up for the e465. It would have been nice to keep the standard usb connection but no big deal to me to use the Sony cable. My four year old doesnt seem to mind watching cartoons on the tiny screen so the more video formats supported the better I plug an FM transmitter into it and he watches it when sitting in his car seat. For my use this thing is top notch. I've got a couple cheapo RCA mp3 players that I *hate* with a passion. I use them when working out, running, cycling.....hoping they'll die, but they wont. I also have a 120gb Zune that sits in a dock connected to my stereo. I *love* the wifi syncing on this, but everything else is sort of meh. My Walkman sounds fantastic. Super easy to use. The "language learning" features are nice. I play guitar and have used my Walkman for music, both to learn and to just jam along. Walkman and guitar into headphone amp using a Y splitter, adjust balance using volume on Walkman and guitar and viola - instant concert at any time of day (or night...) with no complaints from anyone And the charge lasts forever. Not liking the scratches that are appearing on the screen though. Will need to pick up some screen protector sheets this w/e.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:52 AM

Hey buddy. I am new to Walkman. I researched for days, and I do not know what mp3 player to buy. (there are just so many) I was always a fan of Sony, but I never try out their mp3 player before. I was leaning toward S545 because it had speakers but then I find out that that was like 2 years ago, and I want something that is more updated. So I tried to aim for the A845; it was probably one of the best looking Walkman out there, and the video is superb, but I've heard the sound is kind of weak, and it is also expensive and never come out in the U.S. So then I read about the E354, and it seems good and slick, but the only lacking was the voice recording and they came out with a more updated mp3 player which is the e465.. This one has lyrics capabilities, voice recorder, bookmark songs etcs.. The battery life is 50 hours and honestly I was about to purchase it, but there are too many Walkman. Which one you think it's best for me? I researched the walkman S545 for days, but the only problem is that it reminds me of my old cellphone, and I don't like that lol. I can get that mp3 player for 50 bucks, but I'm leaning more towards E465 because it has more features. Out of all the walkman I listed the E465 doesn't look as sharp as the others, but I'm willing to sacrifice for a good all around mp3 player..

Old 11-21-2011, 04:16 PM

I have an NWZ-E465 and I've been very pleased with it. It's a very good-sounding player that is very easy to use and has a set of features that focus on music.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 11-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Hey buddy. I am new to Walkman. I researched for days, and I do not know what mp3 player to buy. (there are just so many) I was always a fan of Sony, but I never try out their mp3 player before. I was leaning toward S545 because it had speakers but then I find out that that was like 2 years ago, and I want something that is more updated. So I tried to aim for the A845; it was probably one of the best looking Walkman out there, and the video is superb, but I've heard the sound is kind of weak, and it is also expensive and never come out in the U.S. So then I read about the E354, and it seems good and slick, but the only lacking was the voice recording and they came out with a more updated mp3 player which is the e465.. This one has lyrics capabilities, voice recorder, bookmark songs etcs.. The battery life is 50 hours and honestly I was about to purchase it, but there are too many Walkman. Which one you think it's best for me? I researched the walkman S545 for days, but the only problem is that it reminds me of my old cellphone, and I don't like that lol. I can get that mp3 player for 50 bucks, but I'm leaning more towards E465 because it has more features. Out of all the walkman I listed the E465 doesn't look as sharp as the others, but I'm willing to sacrifice for a good all around mp3 player..
Given your rambling message that doesn't really explain what you are looking for in a player, I recommend that you get a "good all around mp3 player"...the Sansa Clip+ or the Sansa Clip Zip. It won't remind you of your old cellphone.

Steve

Old 11-22-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Given your rambling message that doesn't really explain what you are looking for in a player, I recommend that you get a "good all around mp3 player"...the Sansa Clip+ or the Sansa Clip Zip. It won't remind you of your old cellphone.

Steve
I actually went for the E465. It's a pretty good MP3 player. Only lacking was FM recording, and I was actually surprised about the book mark (Play list). The lyrics display are awesome, but there are no easy way to create it which sucks. Another good thing is I don't need to create folder for my artist because if you scroll to artist, it is already organized. The earphone is good, perfect for my ears.. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied; I got it for 110 bucks, but I am going to return it and purchase it for 80 bucks online.. I would go for the Sansa Clip+ bit it looks too upsetting.. If I purchase that it would bore me to death.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
I have an NWZ-E465 and I've been very pleased with it. It's a very good-sounding player that is very easy to use and has a set of features that focus on music.
My package didn't come with installation disk. It just come with a limited 90 day warranty, easy to use manual, dock, earphone and that's it. Am I missing anything because Sony didn't instruct on how to download lyrics onto your mp3 player. I know how, but there's gotta be an easier way. I've searched .LRC online but no luck with that.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
My package didn't come with installation disk. It just come with a limited 90 day warranty, easy to use manual, dock, earphone and that's it. Am I missing anything because Sony didn't instruct on how to download lyrics onto your mp3 player. I know how, but there's gotta be an easier way. I've searched .LRC online but no luck with that.
Check out my e355 review. It has links to intructions on how to create the .LRC files.
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58042

Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Who is selling the E465 for $80?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
My player (an NWZ-E465) didn't come with an installation disc. Instead the installation files were on the player itself. Per the Quick Start Guide, double click on "Setup.exe" (located in "Storage Media") and it will install the Walkman Guide and Media Go on your computer. One thing to mention about the Walkman Guide: Unlike the guides for my previous Walkman DAPs, this one is not a PDF file. Instead, it appears to be a HTML file and it opens in a web browser.

Added: If you don't have the "Setup.exe" file on your player, both the Walkman Guide and Media Go are available on the Sony Website.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Last edited by CDMP3PlayerFan; 11-22-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: To add to the original post.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyTacoAficionado View Post
Check out my e355 review. It has links to intructions on how to create the .LRC files.
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58042
Nice review but your way of creating .LRC is too complicated. It will probably take me 1 hour to finish or more.. I use DivXLand Media Subtitler, and all you gotta do is find the lyrics online, copy and paste it on notepad. Open Media subtitle, open the the text, open audio, then sync it together by clicking apply every line. I'm still trying to find a site that offer .LRC download.. I find a few, but there weren't many songs.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
My player (an NWZ-E465) didn't come with an installation disc. Instead the installation files were on the player itself. Per the Quick Start Guide, double click on "Setup.exe" (located in "Storage Media") and it will install the Walkman Guide and Media Go on your computer. One thing to mention about the Walkman Guide: Unlike the guides for my previous Walkman DAPs, this one is not a PDF file. Instead, it appears to be a HTML file and it opens in a web browser.

Added: If you don't have the "Setup.exe" file on your player, both the Walkman Guide and Media Go are available on the Sony Website.
Thanks. I didn't realize that.