android
Old 11-25-2011, 08:15 AM

Default Files not appearing suddenly

This is odd. I've been using Rockbox on my Clip+ for many months, and suddenly the files are not appearing in their folders, even though they're on the player.

Unit: Sansa Clip+
Rockbox: r29927-110526

Problem: Files (in this case, podcasts) are on the player, verified through Windows and within MediaMonkey. The files are stored in the MUSIC folder, and within subfolders named for each podcast.

When running Sansa Clip generic OS, I see the individual podcasts listed and they play fine. When running Rockbox, I navigate through the folder structure and no files are listed. The subfolders appear to be empty.

Hope that description makes sense. I suppose the simplest thing is to re-install Rockbox, perhaps with a later build. Any other ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The normal cause of disappearing files on Sansa players is switching between the USB settings MTP and MSC. Sometimes this happens randomly if the player is set to Autodetect.

Before doing too much, I would check the USB settings. I believe Rockbox requires that files have been added in MSC mode.

Steve

Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
The normal cause of disappearing files on Sansa players is switching between the USB settings MTP and MSC. Sometimes this happens randomly if the player is set to Autodetect.

Before doing too much, I would check the USB settings. I believe Rockbox requires that files have been added in MSC mode.

Steve
Steve, thanks for your prompt reply. I checked just now and the Clip is set in MSC mode, not MTP nor Auto-detect. Problem persists.

Any other ideas?

Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 AM

i'd try a clean rockbox install. backup and then remove the current .rockbox folder entirely and try a fresh one from the rockbox site.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
i'd try a clean rockbox install. backup and then remove the current .rockbox folder entirely and try a fresh one from the rockbox site.
Yes, worked. Interestingly, overwriting the current .rockbox folder with a new one did NOT solve the problem, so then I followed your suggestion to the letter and deleted it entirely, then re-installed. Voila, now everything's fine.

Thanks gentlemen for solving this, and for the prompt replies. A most excellent community .

Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator

I'm glad doing that way worked for you however before I did all that I would check my "Show Files" setting in the File View menu in Rockbox. If you set that to "All" and still don't see your files, then I would start the other troubleshooting steps.

You can also reset everything by deleting or renaming the .cfg file in the .rockbox folder. It's the easiest way I know to reset everything and can be done on the fly with no need for a PC connection.

When you overwrite the current .rockbox folder with a fresh one that won't reset your settings. The new .rockbox folder doesn't come with a .cfg file. That gets written during the the first use after installation. If there's an existing .cfg any new settings you make would be added to that .cfg file, not overwritten. If there's a setting you don't like it continues to load until that file is changed.

One other thing I do is to use a .cfg file to hold my fallback settings named "fixed.cfg". That files isn't written to when you make your changes and Rockbox always loads that one on boot if it's present. You can change settings as much as you like and always get back to a known good setup by just rebooting.

If you want to make changes and not boot back to the fixed,cfg settings you can rename it something like "foxed.cfg". The .cfg files with your new savings will be what loads at boot then. If you decide you don't like the different settings just undo the rename and reboot.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the detailed info, Skip. After the total reboot things seem fine, so even if an older .cfg file remains, all the files are now appearing. But I will tuck this info away if needed later.

--Mike

Old 11-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
Yes, worked. Interestingly, overwriting the current .rockbox folder with a new one did NOT solve the problem, so then I followed your suggestion to the letter and deleted it entirely, then re-installed. Voila, now everything's fine.
You probably had the view settings to "playlists only". Reinstalling doesn't change that. Deleting the .rockbox folder will.