android
Old 12-09-2011, 12:03 AM

Default File Format Not Supported

I recently purchased a Sony Walkman S Series.

Now this is what I did, I used the MP3 validator and fixed most of the music that wasn't working. Yet the music on my walkman is still saying "File Format not supported" I have tried re-syncing my walkman with WMP and re-adding it after I submitted the repairs.

What else do I need to do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you certain that all files are ".mp3" files? Got any .m4a, for example?

Steve

Old 12-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Just not enough here for anyone to help with this. Sonys handle most common .mp3s but if your files are outside their specs you get the format not supported message. Check the specs for your player to be sure your files fall within what should work.

If you had to fix a lot of files the question would seem to be why. If the "MP3 validator" you used was mp3val I've used that but I have more consistent results using foobar2000's utility to fix the VBR header and rebuild the mp3 stream. Between the 2 programs I was able to repair most of my older, bad mp3 files.

What application was used to create the files? Posting which codec, bitrate, and sample rate the files are might also be helpful. Since I changed my procedure a few years back to only use a good front end, usually foobar2000, and LAME as the encoder it's been very rare that I've had any mp3 files that have needed fixing.

After you repaired the files did you delete the originals and then resync them? Syncing with WMP can be iffy at best. Depending on how it views the repaired file it may either leave the older one in place or create a copy. Neither one helps when you're troubleshooting so I'd drag and drop instead. Sonys support that.

Sonys support AAC including .m4a files. I use them sometimes on my older Sonys because .mp3 files lose the date tag when I drag and drop . I'm told that's been fixed on the newer models.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM

They are all mp3 files, the mp3 val I am using is the one from sourceforge. I managed to get some of them to work, now my only problem is some of the songs are copied from wma to my walkman twice taking up double the space.

Also instead of working with WMA, is there another easier alternative?

Last edited by Stickboy239; 12-09-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 PM

One possible reason the files will not play is that the some of the MP3 files may have a bitrate below 32kpbs, the minimum my Walkman players support for MP3 files. I've had a few podcasts that would not play for that reason, some of the podcasts had a bitrate as low as 8kbps. When I used MediaMonkey to convert the files to raise their bitrates the files would play on my player.
MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Sony Ear Clips &
Sony MDR-ZX100 Heaphones

Last edited by CDMP3PlayerFan; 12-09-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Grammar clarification.