android
Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Default Weird combination of connection issues...

Hi folks,

browsing topics here and on other sites I did find some partial problems that I also experience, but never a combination thereof. So:

1. I am able to connect to the SDcard when my Fuze v2 is switched off (as normal). However, the internal memory is not accessible.
2. The Fuze normally displays the stock screen during the connection (with "writing" during writing and "connected" during idle time).
3. When I disconnect the Fuze from the PC (or start it with the stock firmware), it looks as if it tries to update its database (starts to do it), but after a few seconds the White screen of death appears. However, when I deleted all music from the internal memory (via Rockbox), the white screen did not appear and the Fuze just tried to update the database (hanging up).
4. Rockbox functions normally, even playing stuff from the internal memory - (which I can copy to only via Rockbox now).

Did anyone experience such?
Might I suspect a mechanical failure here?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Normally, I would suggest reinstalling the firmware from the Sandisk site, as that sometimes clears up random errors. However, you're obviously a Rockbox user, so you should try reinstalling the Rockbox bootloader.

If that fails, try removing Rockbox altogether, and see if that fixes something.

Do you have a memory card installed? IF so, maybe your card has a file the Fuze doesn't like.

If all this fails, maybe you should stick with Rockbox.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloNachos117 View Post
Normally, I would suggest reinstalling the firmware from the Sandisk site, as that sometimes clears up random errors. However, you're obviously a Rockbox user, so you should try reinstalling the Rockbox bootloader.
Hi Nachos,
the issue with this is that my computer does not recognize the Fuze - I believe because it cannot access the internal memory, just the SD card...

Old 12-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Troubleshooting steps to try.
  1. Attempt to boot to the OF by holding the |<< on the scroll wheel during startup.
  2. Try following from the directions the Sans AMS Port page to format a player that can't get past the database refresh.
  3. Try connecting to a different PC.
  4. Try connecting with a different cable.
  5. Update to a current Rockbox build by putting your current .rockbox folder inside a folder created using the context menu. You can then copy the new .rockbox folder from the SD card.
I would make any attempts to boot with the card removed. That has been known to cause hangups in the past.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:08 AM

HI all,

tried some of skip's suggestions, but they did not work.

Then I remembered I saw recommendations about discharging the Fuze fully and then trying again.

And alas! The Fuze went live with the original firmware without the database refresh, so I was able to format it from the menu options there.

Then I was finally able to see the internal memory and thus also install the latest Rockbox etc.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Glad something worked for you. The only time I can recall the advice to let a Rockboxed player fully discharge was when it was in a "on but unresponsive" state. Could you direct me as to where you saw that? Always willing to learn something new.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Glad something worked for you. The only time I can recall the advice to let a Rockboxed player fully discharge was when it was in a "on but unresponsive" state. Could you direct me as to where you saw that? Always willing to learn something new.
Hmmm hard to retrace my steps with google searching

But it might have been what you mention - a different issue with a Fuze than mine...

Old 12-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Thanks anyway. I'll just keep an eye out for a reference to that. No sense in spending much time with finding some reference when you could be enjoying your now working Fuze.