android
Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 PM

Default Laserstrike

This is a puzzle game for the Zen X-Fi 2, based on a Windows game by Kevin Ng using levels from a TI-83+ version by Badga.

In each of the sixteen levels you need to shoot the iris block twice with a laser. Various obstacles hinder your progress, including steel walls that block the laser beam, mirrors that reflect it, blocks that can only be shot through once, acid blobs that dissolve other blocks and more!

You can download the game from the Laserstrike for Zen X-Fi 2 page on my website.

I've not had too much time to work on personal projects for a while and this has been stagnating on my hard disk drive since April. It keeps me occupied on the bus or train from time to time so hopefully someone else might find it fun to play!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-24-2011, 02:06 AM

I read on the webpage that you had some trouble with the Idle shut down. That is a problem we often encountered in the beginning, but we figured out how to fix it.

When the player does an idle shut down it sends button.click events to the input queue, claiming that the home button is being pressed. So if you correctly check the home button for exiting the program, (Press once to get confirmation screen, press again and it exits), it should solve the problem.

I believe that was hoe we figure out it worked, was almost a year since I last programmed for this device, though I still frequent the forums.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 10-24-2011, 04:52 AM

Thank you; I believe I saw a thread about it some time ago and made the Home key act as an exit key but there must be something wrong with my implementation as though you can press the Home key a few times to exit the game it seems to just hang the player when the idle shutdown kicks in. Does it need to be able to exit in a maximum of two button presses?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 PM

I'm not entirely sure, I think it had to do with how we read the input, or it was indeed a limited amount of presses it sent to the queue. I'm trying to dust off the X-Fi2 LUA from the corners of my brain, I've been working with C# the past year for Uni =P

Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Hey! I think this is a great game, great job!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
I'm not entirely sure, I think it had to do with how we read the input, or it was indeed a limited amount of presses it sent to the queue. I'm trying to dust off the X-Fi2 LUA from the corners of my brain, I've been working with C# the past year for Uni =P
Understandable, and irritating that it's not implemented in the simulator. Switching the player off by holding the power button works fine, irritatingly enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininanook View Post
Hey! I think this is a great game, great job!
Thank you!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benryves View Post
Understandable, and irritating that it's not implemented in the simulator. Switching the player off by holding the power button works fine, irritatingly enough...
Yeh, it's something you kind of wish you could test in the sim, the sim never was very good though with unmatching specs and functionalities to the device... Like File IO and dates...

As for working when turning off the player manually, I think that is done forcefully by aborting the thread, so ev. saves at the end of the script is not performed. For that maybe a check of button.down() on the power button could be useful, just hoping it doesn't override the button.hold() for the powering off (I think we could do that).

Old 12-16-2011, 05:45 AM

Default Nice game

Hi! That's a really nice game Do you know where can I find some pics of other levels so I can add them to the game? Even a similar game it's ok.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks! You could try the original Windows version of LaserStrike for level ideas though I did have to shrink the play area to fit on the X-Fi's screen and still be playable. The calculator version of the game "Laser Mayhem" supported additional level packs but I don't think anyone ever created any (I can't find any on ticalc.org).

If you do come up with some new level designs please post them here and I'll include them in the download - there is some initial support for multiple level packs, just no way to select them!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 AM

Great game, hard, but satisfying when level is completed

Tags
game, laserstrike