android
Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Default Sound recording

If you record some sound, it comes out mono. Fine, there is only one mic. What I would like is for the mono to go to both ears, not just one. I've tried a couple of different record apps, they all have this issue.

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

Thanks,
Steve

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parchping View Post
If you record some sound, it comes out mono. Fine, there is only one mic. What I would like is for the mono to go to both ears, not just one. I've tried a couple of different record apps, they all have this issue.

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

Thanks,
Steve
That doesn't sound right. I have a SGP 4 and it doesn't matter if I record from the built in mic or the one on the headset, the result is a mono recording that gets played back in the left + right ear buds.

Are you hearing other sounds/music in both left + right channels or are those only going to one ear as well?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM

You are entirely correct. My headphones worked fine until recently...
Now I only have one ear working.

I finally thought to confirm on the Galaxy--over the speakers, my recordings come out both.

Tempest in a teapot.

Steve

Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 AM

OK, what the heck is an .amr file format? Are we supposed to be able to convert that somehow to work with on other programs or media players? Why isn't this device making wav or mp3 files??? Are there any recording apps that will?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
OK, what the heck is an .amr file format? Are we supposed to be able to convert that somehow to work with on other programs or media players? Why isn't this device making wav or mp3 files??? Are there any recording apps that will?
The default recorder uses .amr and some of the others use .3gp I think, both of which can be opened by QuickTime player.

I have run across a couple that will save to .wav like the popular Tape-a-Talk Voice Recorder but the only one I've tried with the ability to do MP3 directly is Hi-Q MP3 Recorder (although there may be others.) There is a LITE version that limits you to 10 minute recordings. The only downside is that your CPU will be used more than you may be used to with recording apps because of the live MP3 encoding.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Update:
Tape Machine is the app to get. mp3 (and you can select the bitrate you want at any time) and WAV output. Plus some Audacity-like editing! Awesome! $4.00 at the market. There's a "lite" free version too, which has all the power and features of the full version but will only record or playback a one-minute (max) file!!! so the lite is designed to frustrate and make you buy the "full" rather than being moderately useful in and of itself.

I also see J4T Multitrack Recorder on the market which gets 3.5 rating.

TapeMachine does exactly what I want it to. In my dreams the SGP would have stereo mic inputs and I'd be able to do some real field recording with this.