android
Old 12-18-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Try PowerAMP, Plyer Pro, or MixZing. I think one might help out a bit. Me, PowerAMP all the way. I find the SQ with it to be tops of all my players - a welcome surprise!!!

And BTW: If you had listed the OP as the person you were responding to I'd never have thought you had directed the comment at me.
Ok, it has been a week of trying to dial in the sound with both the Stock eq and WinAmp's eq. to no avail.

On all the forums and Message boards a majority of people recommended PowerAmp. Thank you The Dark Side.

After 2 mins of dialing in a getting familiar with the UI. I tried my test tracks. the only adjustments I made was the Sound X (expander setting) and turn down the volume. (alot) Wow. almost blew out my eardrums on this one.

With PowerAmp and the Sound X music began to sound musical even a low volumes.

I used for reference the following:

Al DiMieola's "the Embrace" for bass (Natural Drum)

Cocteau Twins "Cherry Colored Funk" for Sibilance (Shimmer and clarity of percussion)

Dead Can Dance "Anywhere out the the world" for Tonality and range (Natural and Electronic sounds for balance tonally)

XTC "My Bird Performs (Home Demo) & Airiel (Noise/Wall of Sound) "Red Friends for Soundstage and separation

While Musical-ness improved the sound was still somewhat murky/muddy but only slightly. Tonally was much better. Bass improved and was more natural. Soundstage better but still average. I suspect the DAC on this one

With my UE Super 5 fi I am forced to have the volume up no more that quarter of the way as opposed to half way on any other player. I don't know yet how this is going to affect the battery life. The verdict is out on this one. Sidnote: With the stock player and WinAmp I could turn the volume up all the way with UE Super 5 fi's. So the tells me the player has a low output compared to other devices. This might also explain the long battery life. The two main things that affect battery life in a "Music Player" is bit rate and amp output. FYI

I guess it will be buying PowerAmp and will be keeping the player. It will not replace any Sony player for serious listening but, for everyday and traveling this is going to be my main device. With PowerAmp I can now listen with headphones for long periods.

It is a Keeper the app and player.

Thank you The Dark Side for the recommendation.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
With PowerAmp and the Sound X music began to sound musical even a low volumes.
Where is Sound X? I can't find it in the Market.

Quote:
Cocteau Twins "Cherry Colored Funk" for Sibilance (Shimmer and clarity of percussion)
I don't know about the percussion (it's just a drum machine going "thump thump thumpa chick thump thumpa thumpa chick") but it's very easy to get the bass in this sound to clip in PowerAmp. If you turn the limit button on, you'll hear the volume vary to avoid the clipping during the bassy parts. It would be nice if it had some graphic way to tell you it's clipping.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Where is Sound X? I can't find it in the Market.

I don't know about the percussion (it's just a drum machine going "thump thump thumpa chick thump thumpa thumpa chick") but it's very easy to get the bass in this sound to clip in PowerAmp. If you turn the limit button on, you'll hear the volume vary to avoid the clipping during the bassy parts. It would be nice if it had some graphic way to tell you it's clipping.

Sound X is a feature of PowerAmp it is found on PowerAmp

To clarify Cherry Colour Funk the Brass or Pseudo Brass Percussion is what I am refering to I use this perticular track because on all that is going on otherwise, in the song the (High Hat fake or real) are constant though out the whole song. As far as bass goes I don't alter the bass settings and if needed will tweek 8k and above settings to compendate for lower bit rates (they have a tendency to drop of in lower bit rates.).

This song I have use to test He Man rigs to DAPs and Heaphones.

Sidenote:

Other songs used for reference:

Santana "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen" from Sacred Fire for depth and soundstage left to right.

Paul Simon's Graceland Album "Any Track" for Presence-the space around the singer and insturment.

Lee Ritenour-Moving Wes "any track" for all catagories

Pictures at an Exhibition condutor Frittz Reiner/Chicago Symphany for all catagories.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaasje View Post
Wow, easy there DarkSide, First: I'm as cool as the fonz
Second: it wasn't my intention to sound defensive (capitals are the way to do that) or using other words, in which I express my sincere feelings, which I didn't do. The message was clean and direct, OK I admit it was short as
it was just a time saver. (from a readers perspective and mine, people don't want to read long texts if the answer can be summarized) And childish not sure how: just buy an iPod, you'll be happier (I got the S 4.0 and love it, in case anyone wonders) can be interpreted as childish, but everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

But let me explain the complete reason of my message now that I have the time.

it wasn't defensive but you must admit every device has it's pro's and con's.
And most of the time, you as a Ultra Senior member surely know that by all the messages you've seen, and wrote, is that once someone wants to buy an iPod touch they buy other devices and really come to the conclusion that when they finally buy the iPod touch it meets their expectations of a music player they want that acts, looks and functions like an iPod touch. So I merely made the quickest move to advice buying an iPod touch straight away.
And Apple is great, iTunes works, application and games are great, looks good, great quality/price ratio, the accessories, oh don't get me started about those amazing widely available accessories, you can get them with angry birds on them, gold sparkles, Ed hardy designs The Beatles, Hendrix etc(anyway getting off topic). So nothing bad about Apple, had one for myself (but gave it away).
When someone buys a device it should be to their needs, and if you want a device that is something like the iPod touch, just buy the touch. It's cheaper has a better (way better) camera, more games, the retina display is pretty sweet. and so on and so on.
The freedom android brings is probably one of the key points why someone would buy the SG player. (and the microSD 4 me)
If you don't mind extra steps to jailbreak it (I know just a mouse click away) and lose your warranty than the touch would be a nice deal.
And ios looks great specially designed 4 such devices, android however is a mix and match story.

Recently there was the 4.0 and 5.0 which will it be friends topic, and I don't know who, but the poster ended up with an...iPod touch instead.
Why?... because Apple is good in what they do, they learn, improve, update and start over again.
Samsung is just beginning with this stuff so things aren't perfect, that's something people should accept. And the overall experience is already ruined for Zyxxeil. It doesn't matter if we also experience those same problems, because he has to use it and if he is like me, let's just say he is, he uses his device on a hourly/daily basis. So having another Samsung would always have a nasty aftertaste, and brings the fear of buying problem products from Sammie. So coming to the conclusion he/she would be happier with an iPod touch is just merely making out what everybody sees coming. And would be the most obvious and realistic thing to do. And by saving the money because it's cheaper, you can use that extra money to buy some of those accessories (I'm serious here, in case you're wondering) Samsung is awful in accessories. Had the same problem with my P2 bought it, works great, still does, and couldn't find the special case 4 it ordered it from Korea, great until the little clamps broke because I had to remove it to reset it. by that time no one was selling those cases. So that's my long answer.
hope I made my point and reasons clear.
Hey that was me

Old 12-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Sound X is a feature of PowerAmp it is found on PowerAmp
I don't see anything that says Sound X in it. Yes, I purchased it.

Quote:
Pictures at an Exhibition condutor Frittz Reiner/Chicago Symphany for all catagories.
All the Chicago Symphony recordings are excellent for testing dynamic range and stereo image.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When in the Player screen (PowerAMP) look on the upper right hand side, top corner. You'll see the Tone/Volume settings icon - hit that and you'll see Stereo X.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
When in the Player screen (PowerAMP) look on the upper right hand side, top corner. You'll see the Tone/Volume settings icon - hit that and you'll see Stereo X.
Oh Stereo X.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Oh Stereo X.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Opps my bad

Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 PM

It sounds like that control just reduces the in-phase parts of the stereo channels decreasing the center components and making the stereo image seem wider. If you listen to lots of mono recording, it makes them sound really bad.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 PM

Ha,Ha my question created such a discussion. Well i thought i would stop by and tell you guys that apparently Beast Buy was out of white ipod touches so i just traded it for a new Galaxy S Player 4.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
It sounds like that control just reduces the in-phase parts of the stereo channels decreasing the center components and making the stereo image seem wider. If you listen to lots of mono recording, it makes them sound really bad.
I tend to not like any "enhancements" beyond bass/treble or a simple EQ. While some of the effects can be fun, ultimately, for general use they seem to harm the sound more than improving it, IMHO.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
I tend to not like any "enhancements" beyond bass/treble or a simple EQ. While some of the effects can be fun, ultimately, for general use they seem to harm the sound more than improving it, IMHO.
Same with me. All I use is the equalizer & maybe a little bass boost. I'm not fond of the additional settings, as it makes the music sound too artificial.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM

I like the reverb effects, especially with mono recordings. The old Creative Jukebox had the most convincing reverb effects I've ever heard from an MP3 player and that was several years and several purchases ago.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyxxeil View Post
Ha,Ha my question created such a discussion. Well i thought i would stop by and tell you guys that apparently Beast Buy was out of white ipod touches so i just traded it for a new Galaxy S Player 4.
haha welcome back young skywalker
you didn't want to wait for 2 more days till delivery so you got the same.
haha you're funny.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Its not that i wouldnt have waited, but my best buy store said they were backordered and they wouldnt have it till like 2 weeks. And apple didnt cover screen cracks. ALSO IF I ordered online there were going to come like in the 28th.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyxxeil View Post
Its not that i wouldnt have waited, but my best buy store said they were backordered and they wouldnt have it till like 2 weeks. And apple didnt cover screen cracks. ALSO IF I ordered online there were going to come like in the 28th.
How are you finding the Galaxy S?