android
Old 12-23-2011, 01:48 PM

Default No ICS for Galaxy S and Tab...SGP as well??

FWIW

Article about Samsungs announcement that Galaxy S and Galaxy tab wont be getting ICS; I wonder if THE SGP 4 & 5 will also suffer the same fate

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsu...ng-ICS_id25061

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I doubt we get ICS on these devices,...WITHOUT a ROOT and custom ROM.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I doubt we get ICS on these devices,...WITHOUT a ROOT and custom ROM.
Well we have root but there like 1 or 2 developpers for SGP. Why does these devices(4 and 5) don't get enough interest?

Old 12-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Nowhere have I seen Samsung say that the original Galaxy S is not getting ICS (unless they're going off that Korean Google translate, which is hard to decipher). What I have seen Samsung say is that current devices such as the SGS2 will get ICS first, and then Samsung will evaluate the need for an ICS on older updates.

While RAM isn't an issue, ROM certainly would be. A total GB package for the Nexus S is less than 200MB. However, the GB packages for the SGS2 with Touchwiz 4 are around 450MB. Samsung packs a LOT of stuff in there. Most older phones only had 256MB of ROM available for firmware.

We'll see. I don't expect the SGS1 to get an official ICS update, but I personally haven't seen Samsung give it the axe yet.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:25 PM

Something I'd like to see is CyanogenMod on these devices... I would be so HAPPY

Old 12-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Hey guys I have found a way to build ICS:

http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/compile-ics

Well I don't know where to find the binaries (maybe I need to download the source code from samsung?)

Old 12-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was referring to my SGP 5.0, and the 4.0,...and I also meant that we WON'T get it WITHOUT doing it ourselves. Samsung isn't gonna give us ICS - we have to TAKE IT!!! Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:14 AM

i'm seeing all of these articles linking to the same poorly translated Korean article. Do we have any article with an actual quote from Samsung saying that these devices absolutely will not get ICS? All I've seen so far is the actual quote about re-evaluating their stance AFTER they finish ICS for the newer devices.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, considering how they seem to NOT update certain high-end devices, these SGP's won't see the update. Besides, unless we have a custom ROM, it'll just bog my 5.0 down. I'm using Launcher Pro (Thanks medion!!!) on mine, and it's nice and fast now. I wouldn't want to mess that up.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
i'm seeing all of these articles linking to the same poorly translated Korean article. Do we have any article with an actual quote from Samsung saying that these devices absolutely will not get ICS? All I've seen so far is the actual quote about re-evaluating their stance AFTER they finish ICS for the newer devices.
Poorly translated or not, Samsung does not have the best track record for updating it's devices [in a timely fashion, if at all] so would it really surprise anyone?

Making matters worse for us SGP owners, it feels like the SGP line was released for the sole purpose of pissing off Apple . It has had almost zero marketing compared to their tablet devices. Don't get me wrong, nothing would make me happier than if they continued to provide updates and maybe even an ICS bump to the platform but I knew what I was getting into when I purchased this thing. Fortunately, even if no update is ever pushed out, what they did release is pretty good.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
Poorly translated or not, Samsung does not have the best track record for updating it's devices [in a timely fashion, if at all] so would it really surprise anyone?

Making matters worse for us SGP owners, it feels like the SGP line was released for the sole purpose of pissing off Apple . It has had almost zero marketing compared to their tablet devices. Don't get me wrong, nothing would make me happier than if they continued to provide updates and maybe even an ICS bump to the platform but I knew what I was getting into when I purchased this thing. Fortunately, even if no update is ever pushed out, what they did release is pretty good.
Yup!!! This is the truth in regards to Sammy. They have a shoddy track record when it comes to updates. Ask lebellium about it,...

Old 12-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Guys, I have no doubt in my mind that most (if not all) of these devices will not see an official ICS port from Samsung. What I'm asking for is not speculation, but an actual quote from Samsung. The ONLY quote I've seen from them is that these devices will be evaluated after ICS is done for their newer devices.

I'm seeing a ton of sites regurgitating that same mistranslation, and that is simply poor reporting. I saw the same exact thing happen with the Droid Incredible. Someone came forward and claimed that HTC dropped their GB port for the Incredible. The report, based on a mistranslation, spread like wildfire. A few weeks later we had the first GB release for the Incredible, and a few weeks ago we had an update that fixed the bugs with that release. The phone has had 2 major updates since a mistranslation about it not being updated.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:03 PM

So what would we miss with no ICS update?.My player is fine the way it is.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:43 PM

Speculation brings nothing but worry. This is a wait and see. What I have read - same article being quoted on several sites, is that Samsung is not updating two of the older devices that they are not retailing any longer. The SGP 4 and 5 are never mentioned as not getting updates and so far Samsung has updated them to the newest releases. Don't mix this device with their phones - phones are a whole different world and come and go quickly. Again, it is all wait and see.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:45 PM

I am disappointed because i like to try new things, but is ICS worth it ? If it makes the sgp faster and use less battery i say i want it. Otherwise gingerbread is nice.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:31 PM

I thought at one time Android was going to be a free, user modifiable OS. Now it seems the device makers have hijacked the OS and have created their own ecosystems with locked bootloaders. The bootloaders can be hacked but I thought it wasn't going to be this way for Android.