android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=steinburger1109;588654Anyone tried RockBox on it yet?[/QUOTE]

The RockBox app is not a good experience. At all. Maybe the people who use RockBox are happy with it so far, I don't. It needs to get out of beta before I could use it without pulling my hair out. Sticking with PowerMP(PowerAMP).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Texas, you seem to be alone on the Rockbox front! To the people who dislike it, have you installed some sort of theme (like dfkt's)? What have you been using, Texas?

Sorry to kinda be dominating this thread, I'm just very very curious... Very. I've been wanting to go back to RockBox, and I hope SGP can do that for me.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:48 PM

I'm sure others are using Rockbox. First, it helps if one is familiar with Rockbox already, understands the config, wps, theme files and structure. The configurable options are so many I can understand being overwhelmed and frustrated (especially if there isn't an installed theme).

I'm using Saint's beta Cabbie theme located at the link given in a previous post. The theme isn't perfect but it's certainly useable *if one is familiar with Rockbox*. Both database and file browsing work. Playback is gapless, displays embedded album art, runs ogg, flac, alac, aac, mp3 and many others. Even the embedded aac and alac embedded art display -- if a theme is installed. A lot of extras haven't been implemented (yet).

I can't repeat enough you *must* download and integrate a theme (Saint's, DKFT's -- or create your own) into the Rockbox configuration or the result will not be pretty at all and the experience will be frustrating.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Just took a look at cloudskipper and its very new but seems like its worth a try.Any feedback on sound quality?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I tried Player Pro today, and the playback was choppy & I experienced skipping. I'll stay with my PowerAMP. I'm PRAYING for either a real Rockbox .apk to hit, OR BBE's app to be ported to Android. iOS has too many good apps - Android needs to fully assimilate to win!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:27 PM

Just tried out cloudskipper and its beautiful with great sound.Only question i have is why it says the equalizer is not available?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Just tried out cloudskipper and its beautiful with great sound.Only question i have is why it says the equalizer is not available?
Was it a trial? Some hold out features till you buy it - bummer!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Default Equalizer on Stock player

Has anyone used the eq settings on the stock player? They are there I haven't used them or the stock player.

Winamp for a $5 fee will allow you equalize the music. It is an improvement and Winamp allows me to move songs on a album/artist/playlist in the order I want with relative ease.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 PM

DSP Manager equalizes whatever music app is running http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=795233
Works great with Cubed http://www.appbrain.com/app/%C2%B3/o...kon.rockonnggl. (which also has nice widgets)

Last edited by tcat; 12-17-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:35 AM

No,cloudskipper has no paid option and the equalizer started working this morning.This is worth looking at

Old 12-17-2011, 10:22 AM

Anyone using Cloudskipper able to get the settings on the equalizer page below the equalizer to work?things like bass boost and reverb.My equalizer works fine but cant figure out how to turn on the other settings.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:40 PM

Tried DSP Manager its pretty good and even enhances things like pandora and last.fm

Old 12-18-2011, 06:27 PM

This has been quite an adventure.Tried winamp,ttpod,doubletwist.cloudskipper and the free equalizer.Got so caught up in equalization that comparisons became a chore and confusing.Winamp and double twist sounded very similar,cloudskipper became choppy when i used its equalizer but it had the best interface.The equalizer free app was awful and seemed to make sound softer as i tried to custom set the levels.
I ended up spending a lot of time with the huge equalizer offered in ttpod free music player.It gave the best results overall so Im sticking with ttpod.Hope they will come up with an upgrade to better their album art and lyric search but this player customized has best sound quality of all free music players.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:00 PM

I went with powerAMP for one main reason, it has the ability to be set so that when 1 album finishes playing the next album (alphabetically) will start, so it can play all albums in one big uninterrupted "playlist", which is something the ipods have always done and that was more important to me then any other feature of the players, now if they would add shake controls (like some of the others have) to it I would almost never need to unlock the player.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Just got a SGP 4.0 and tried the suggestions above.

Settled with ttpod and powerAmp for now.
Cloudskipper had some serious problems with playing 24bit FLAC equalised, so I'm putting it on hold for now.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:31 PM

I have an issue with cloudskipper while i play music and am doing other stuff every button i press causes the volume to spike for a second it is quite painful on the ears

Old 12-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I have an issue with cloudskipper while i play music and am doing other stuff every button i press causes the volume to spike for a second it is quite painful on the ears
PowerAMP does that with my SGP 5.0,....ANNNDDDD on my Atrix 4G sometimes.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 PM

Just going to lay down Poweramp as my player of choice. Free 15 day trial to see if it suits you, Equalizer's prefect for setting up the soud just how you like it, particularly if you use several different kinds of phones, perfect for getting the best out of your phones, can adjust the volume on it to go even louder, playlists are damn near prefect, even allowing you to export them, and far more features and tweaks than you can shake a stick at.

Last edited by Reddlemagne; 12-29-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: trimming

Old 12-29-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
PowerAMP does that with my SGP 5.0,....ANNNDDDD on my Atrix 4G sometimes.
I have something similar happen. No spike, but It get's very LOUD quickly, and when turning it up, there's a few quiet points where it barely plays audio. A bit odd, that.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddlemagne View Post
I have something similar happen. No spike, but It get's very LOUD quickly, and when turning it up, there's a few quiet points where it barely plays audio. A bit odd, that.
We need to hit up the PowerAMP dev and tell him,... Here's the PowerAMP forum: http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/forum/5-bugs/