android
Old 12-28-2011, 01:06 PM

any way to reverse stereo? my klipsch s4s are alot more comfortable reversed

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Use dfkt's patched build from the first post in this thread. It has channel swap enabled.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM

omg perfect thanks, thats got to be my fav feature now lol

EDIT: and very big thanks to dfkt.. im sure you know how it feels when the iems just dont feel right in the "right" way

Last edited by warzinak; 12-28-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Thank dfkt and the rest of the people who actually do something, I just let you know it was there.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:29 AM

Ahhh my stupid Clip Zip screen has failed already...randomly turns bright with red tint...and horizontal ghosting next to fonts.... usually if i pressed on a corner it would go away but now its permanent.... so im going to have to send it back but im worried about them finding rockbox and blaming it somehow...(even tho its a hardware failure)..I cant find anywhere about a FULL no trace left rockbox uninstall and revert to ofw...
Dont want them giving me any excuses.

Im on mac atm and can NOT install any windows programs (incase i need to)

Could some one please help me with this?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzinak View Post
Ahhh my stupid Clip Zip screen has failed already...randomly turns bright with red tint...and horizontal ghosting next to fonts.... usually if i pressed on a corner it would go away but now its permanent.... so im going to have to send it back but im worried about them finding rockbox and blaming it somehow...(even tho its a hardware failure)..I cant find anywhere about a FULL no trace left rockbox uninstall and revert to ofw...
Dont want them giving me any excuses.

Im on mac atm and can NOT install any windows programs (incase i need to)

Could some one please help me with this?
Just reinstall the original firmware and delete the rockbox folder. That should do it.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 AM

Uh Oh: I am an idiot.

I wanted to re-test some things in the original firmware after trying out Rockbox (I had removed the original firmware files). So, I downloaded the original firmware, extracted the clpza.bin to the root, and removed the .rockbox file.

BUT, I had not gotten the original firmware installed yet before removing the .rockbox directory! So, when I unplugged the ClipZip, it showed rockbox, but then when restarting, it just says "file not found". It just says "plug in USB". I can connect to it from the computer (I am on Ubuntu), so I can put any files I need on it, but without some sort of current firmware I can't get it to execute the .bin file. HMMMM. Any advice? I can try to manually execute the .bin from the CZ (while connected to the computer). But I may have bricked it.

Any advice for an idiot?

To further help, I am noting that the (original firmware) clpza.bin I put on the CZ does not have "execute permissions". When I try to add execute permissions, they "don't stick" (meaning, if I ls -l after changing the perms they don't list execute). So, may be a problem with permissions? But I guess my problem to be that I deleted the .rockbox directory BEFORE having a functioning original firmware. DUH!

Last edited by skip252; 12-29-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: clean up

Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Administrator

AFAIK there's always a firmware on the player. I believe in this case that booting to the OF should let you make a USB connection.

Try booting to the OF by holding either Volume up or the Back key. If I'm understanding correctly that the official Sandisk firmware is on the player but hasn't updated yet that should trigger the firmware update.

Last edited by skip252; 12-29-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM

OK, I solved it. Just a few minutes of panic first.

In the end, putting back the .rockbox was what was needed. Then, when unplugging, it was able to still function with Rockbox. Then, shut it down and restart, holding the left key. This then booted Sandisk firmware and gave the "Firmware Upgrade in Progress" listing. Then, after it shutdown I restarted and Sandisk firmware was back.

Sorry for the triple post, but was a bit worried there for a while! Rockbox is great!!!

Missed the reply from skip. I think you are right that the OF was always there. Just didn't think too clearly when got the "blank screen" on startup (when I remove the .rockbox directory). I think then the OF update happened so then didn't look for Rockbox anymore.

Thanks again for the reply. I know I littered the thread but hopefully others will sleep better knowing that it seems pretty hard to "brick the device.

Last edited by skip252; 12-29-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: clean up

Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

To make things a bit clearer for others that may not understand, rockbox with dual boot is just the original firmware patched which is renamed to clpza.bin (same name as original firmware) and you add that plus the .rockbox folder to the root (typical manual install). When you remove the .rockbox folder from your Clip root, it will not boot because it’s trying to boot to rockbox and looking for the folder you removed. So what you did to completely remove it is correct.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Whenever it boots to Rockbox the update hasn't happened yet. All that was needed was to use the key combo to boot to the OF. You don't need to place a .rockbox folder on the player again. I found that out when I did just what you did long time ago on a V1 Clip. It was a bit scary but once I held the right key combination during the boot sequence it solved itself.

I've never found a difference in the behavior of the OF if it was the Rockbox patched version or not. I don't know if your testing required an unpatched firmware but if it doesn't you should get the same results if you just use the dual boot feature to access the Sandisk firmware.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
... I found that out when I did just what you did long time ago on a V1 Clip. ...
lol, same here The good thing is that it tells you and you realize your mistake, it's also good that this mistake does not brick the player.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM

Default Assign submenu short keypress in Rockbox themes?

Can this be done? Looks like all the other keypresses are being used up by Rockbox. I know you can "capture" volume change (%?mv), player mode changes (%?mp) and several other events but didn't find short submenu keypresses mentioned in the sections on themes. This would be perfect for displaying the album art/whatever in themes. The OF for the Zip does this of course with the Select button, but I would certainly settle for it being on the submenu button Makes more sense than having to change player mode or volume to see an alternate screen in a theme. I would go form liking Rockbox to loving it if this could happen

Old 12-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, a short press on the down button on the d-pad is still unused (I use that for turning the screen on, quite practical), but there is no syntax/functionality in WPS theming for the feature you want. I would find it nice too if album art could be turned on/off with a click of a button. (But I wouldn't want to miss the screen-on 'feature' of the down button as well. )

Old 12-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Smile Thank you!

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who's put in so much time and work to port Rockbox over to the Zip. You all have really enhanced my experience with this little player, and I appreciate it!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Well, a short press on the down button on the d-pad is still unused (I use that for turning the screen on, quite practical)
Damn....never thought of trying that! I will use that method now though, instead of touching the volume control.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I use that patch where the screen stays off at volume change and play/pause, so I value the down button even more for a quick glance.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Is there a way to use bookmarks generated on a zip on a clip+ i own both and would like to resume a podcast on the other one while one charges from time to time.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If the files have the same name and are in the same folder structure on both players, you can just move the *.bmark file over to the other player. If they are in different folders, you can open the *.bmark file with a text editor and change it accordingly.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
If the files have the same name and are in the same folder structure on both players, you can just move the *.bmark file over to the other player. If they are in different folders, you can open the *.bmark file with a text editor and change it accordingly.
yeah same folder structure and everything seeing how i would just be popping out the sd card and putting it in another player. I know the .bkmark files are on the player I just can't find them on the other player