android
Old 12-17-2011, 03:31 PM

Default Changing SD cards, how to go about it?

OK, I started off using a 16GB card, purloined from my e-ink reader. But now I want to switch to a 32GB card I just got. Most of my apps were either installed to the 16GB card or moved to the card after installation via the player.

So can I just copy everything from the 16GB card, put it on my computer's hard drive, then copy it to the 32GB card and be good to put it in the player, or is it less simple than that?

Complete android newbie, so I thought I best ask before proceeding.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Chances are your computer has an SD card reader. If so you can just copy the contents to it, then after installing the 32GB card, copy the contents back to it.

Last edited by musichound; 12-17-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM

How did you move your apps to the card if they installed in the player?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
How did you move your apps to the card if they installed in the player?
As long as they are already installed on the SD card, once they are copied to the new SD card the apps should perform properly. Not that sure if you are running apps that can only reside directly on your player, however.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Not sure where they are.How can i tell if my apps are in player or card?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Hi,

I just got a 32GB SD card to use with my SGP5. I installed it (replaced a 4GB card that was in the SGP5), by formatting the new card using FAT32, copying the contents of the 4GB card to 32GB card on a PC, then plugged it into the SGP5.

That worked fine, but I'm still a little confused about how the SGP5 allocates space.

It looks like the 32GB card shows up under the SD Card category under Settings==>Storage.

In ES File Explorer and Root Explorer, the space APPEARS to appear under /sdcard/external_sdcard, or something like that.

It also appears that apps like App2SD move the apps to somewhere on the INTERNAL SDcard (the 8GB one that's built into the SGP5), rather than to the EXTERNAL SDcard (the new 32GB one). I haven't found a way to move apps to the new EXTERNAL 32GB SDcard (tried App2SD, App2SD Pro, and MoveApps).

Even with Titanium Backup, it looks like that was backing stuff up to the INTERNAL SDcard (at /sdcard/TitaniumBackup). I was able to configure TB to backup to the EXTERNAL SDcard, using the TB settings, but it looks like the 1st backup still doesn't put stuff on the EXTERNAL SDcard (it showed "0 files backed up"), so I used TB to backup a single app, which did work, and then after that, I ran a batch backup, and then it backed up everything to the EXTERNAL SDcard (confirmed using ES and RE and also Terminal Emulator).

I'm still not sure what the "USB Storage" is that shows up under SGP5 settings. That *SEEMS* to be on the INTERNAL SDcard, but I'm not sure.

Jim

Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:

Not that sure of it will work on Galaxy players, but on my Galaxy phone l use the app APPS2D. What this does for me is determine where my apps are located and provides me the option of moving the apps between phone and SD card where permitted.

Last edited by musichound; 01-03-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:56 PM

I'm totally confused now. I think all my apps originally installed to the device, but then I just went into settings > applications > manage applications and moved stuff one by one to the microSD card.

Anyway, copying the 16GB card to my computer, then copying that to the new 32GB card worked fine, did it this morning, all appears to be working.

The apps appear in a folder on the microSD card called .android_secure and they all seem to be some kind of .asec file, whatever that is.

I am wondering how I would go about backing up data generated by certain apps. I have no idea where stuff like that is being stored!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Confusing for sure. I'm about to perform the same op. Replace a 16gb with a 32 gb. Would be great to have more clarity on how memory is managed on these devices.

there's internal microsd (which should never be called an sd, that's just asking for confusion)

Then there's USB...which again, is internal. USB implies that it is externally accessible...and that's not the case. It does not even show up when you explore the file structure on the device.

I'm finding it nearly impossible to understand how memory is used.

Also, can someone explain the difference between RAM (Random Access Mem) and ROM (Read Only Mem) on this device? RAM is used ONLY during operations by the operating system and ROM is used for storing Apps and App Date?