android
Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 PM

Default Impressions on 5.0 Screen Quality

I have tons of 720P anime stuff and blu-ray videos on my laptop. They look great on the laptop BUT look amazing on the 5 inch screen. 1280x720 video files on the 800x480 screen look crisp,clear and simply breathtaking in my honest opinion.I'm definitely satisfied with the screen resolution. I just wanted to post this,I'll probably turn it into a review eventually,but for the main reason I bought it,I am completely satisfied. I used to own a Zune HD and the SGP 5.0 screen is definitely close to OLED quality.

Last edited by Lagoo56; 01-02-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 AM

I'm considering getting one for portable video playing, however my Kindle Fire has kind of made it a harder decision considering it works pretty well as a video player even if it does only hold about 6GB.

Ugh, sure makes it tempting with that microSDHC slot.

I find it funny that sites like CNET give it a sub-par review because they say its like a Galaxy phone without the phone features..yet they turn around and give iPod Touch a great review when its nearly identical in function to the iPhone.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Redneck Moderator

People still read CNET these days?

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzinEvolution View Post
I find it funny that sites like CNET give it a sub-par review because they say its like a Galaxy phone without the phone features..yet they turn around and give iPod Touch a great review when its nearly identical in function to the iPhone.
Thats because Donald Bell is a total Apple fanboy lol He's the last person who should do a review for anything non-Apple related.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzinEvolution View Post
I'm considering getting one for portable video playing, however my Kindle Fire has kind of made it a harder decision considering it works pretty well as a video player even if it does only hold about 6GB.

Ugh, sure makes it tempting with that microSDHC slot.

WAY better than ipod touch! WAY, WAY better.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Way Way Way Way better

Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM

The SGP 5.0 uses a VA-type screen instead of an ips screen.

The major differences:

VA - slight color shift at wide angles (blue becomes aqua, for example)
IPS - little color shift at wide angles

VA - black levels worse than IPS wide angles
IPS- black levels better than VA at wide angles

VA - gamma shift with varying screen viewing angles.
IPS - almost no gamma shift with varying screen viewing angles.

VA - maintains brightness at wide angles
IPS - decreased brightness at wide angles

Straight on viewing with VA is quite nice because the screen has a solid brightness-even appearance to the presentation and the color is steady. IPS screens while quite nice, suffer from brightness dropoff at the sides resulting in a "bar of brightness" in the center that can be annoying -- especially viewing at low brightness levels.

I had both the 4.0 and 5.0. I kept the 5.0.

Last edited by TexasRockbox; 01-04-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Made a goof

Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 AM

I have both ipod touch 4g and galaxy 5: for viewing video is better galaxy 5.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 AM

It's like comparing a Toyota Corolla with FM radio only, roll-up crank windows, no AC, plastic seats and steel wheels to a Lexus with full CD/bluetooth/mp3 stereo, power windows, power mirrors, remote start, leather, heated seats, tinted, sunroof and mag wheels. ...for less money.

If you're not drinking Steve's special kool-aid, which would you choose?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM

...and what a difference high res album art makes! I tagged all my songs with 400 or 500 dpi art, and after HOURS of trying to figure out how to make it show up in my player, it is truly amazing on this screen. I use Cubed Player, and no matter what I did (deleting and reloading album art, clearing cache, clearing data), I was always getting low res art. Same thing with default player. I have all albums by folder, high res .jpg in folder, and all songs tagged with high res image.

I finally found that albumthumbs are stored in /android/data/com.androidproviders.media I deleted everything in that folder and presto it went and found the good stuff! Some of the "Large" 200x200 art wasn't too bad, but 400x400 is so much nicer if your player shows it almost full screen.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM

I see that.
Are you saying that the player or the SGP itself is generating these lower res files? They have big long numbers as file names and are not in any format that can be opened (not jpgs). ALL my tagged songs have the jpg named as "Album Art".

If you delete these, won't they just be generated again?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM

All my albums use to be with "regular" art (small, large), and the player seemed it would just see small and use it no matter what you were displaying (so most look real bad big). I retagged all songs with high res art, so when all those thumbs were deleted, yes they get replaced, but with what's currently tagged to songs. It's a long process, but Media Monkey makes it go relatively fast, and I'm sure there's lots of other ID3 tag programs out there. The time consuming part is searching for album covers in 400x400 res or better.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 PM

10-4
I've got everything tagged with 300x300 from all the years with my old Sansa Fuze. Some do not look good large, got to admit. Bbut not a big issue for me. I turn off the display as fast as I can to save battery & stick it in my pocket or pouch. The art from amazon mp3 all looks good.