android
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Default Can't connect to my wifi unless I disable all security

Hello, I can only use my galaxy 5 at home if I remove all security on my router. I would like to enable Wireless Access Control by allowed MAC address only. As soon as I punch in the MAC address of my Player (into the router), my player goes into an infinite loop of "Scanning...", "Connecting...", "Disconnected". I'd also like to disable SSD broadcasting on my router, but first things first. This is a brand new router, but the same thing happened on the old router.

All thoughts appreciated. I know little about this WIFI stuff/security. HELP! TIA.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 PM

Well we need info on your router for starters.
You should be using WPA2 for your security (WEP is old and easy to breach), but most older wireless-B won't work with WPA2 so keep that in mind.
Really, MAC address only are you that paranoid? WPA2 keeps the univited off the connection just fine, and allows you to set your own password instead of a crazy number string.
You must be paranoid to want to use MAC address only and not broadcast an SSD, do you live in the middle of HACKERtown or something?

You may be over doing it and causing conflicts between the different settings, one method of security, just like you should only run one antivirus as multiple ones conflict with each other.

If you don't broadcast an SSD and you've changed the name from the default router name to begin with then no-one would even know its there so whats with all the security man?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 PM

That worked, thx! I don't know why I have all the security, that just the way I set things up like 10-15 yrs ago. Thx again.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 AM

I've got some experience with routers, at my house, my parents house, where I work and at a friends house I have 4 different linksys routers running dd-wrt firmware, and I love the level of control it gives me, it will even let me change a router into a repeater to extend the range of an existing network (and even let you set a seperate SSID for the repeated network), like the vacation rental property across the street that doesn't have any security on there WIFI, yeah I haven't paid for internet in over a year (maybe 2).