android
Old 11-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Samsung Moderator

Default YP-G1 and YP-G70 Bug reports

Hey all,

I read here and there on ABI and on other forums that several people are complaining about bugs on their YP-G1 or YP-G70. I even read some people want to downgrade to Froyo because of some bugs with Gingerbread.

As you probably know, Samsung has not deeply beta-tested their firmwares for years now, even since there is a single firmware worldwide and with the new Galaxy Players and the different regional firmwares, the situation has not got better.

As you probably know too, there are not many ways to get the bugs fixed. Sadly there is me and.... me. Samsung don't read your posts on the different forums. You can complain about a bug as long and as loud as you want, most probably it won't get fixed as long as I don't report it or as long as Samsung don't miraculously notice it themselves

That is why I propose you to gather here all the bugs you experience and I'll do my best to report them to Samsung and get them fixed in a next firmware.

Your post MUST contain these informations:

Quote:
Full Device Name: ex: YP-G1CW/XEF
Android Version: written in the device system settings
Kernel version: written in the device system settings
Firmware version: the most important info given by Kies when connecting the device
Detailed bug report: Must be as detailed as possible as the bug cannot be fixed if the R&D is unable to reproduce it. Moreover, I don't own Galaxy Players (anymore) so I cannot check and reproduce the bug myself contrary to the other Samsung DAPs

-If the post doesn't respect these conditions, the bug won't be reported.
-Please only report BUGS. Don't ask here for new features or features improvements.

Last edited by lebellium; 11-30-2011 at 03:01 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 PM

Default Battery Charge

I charged my SGP5 yesterday, and again today. The green icon looks full and has an "F". The green line in settings/about/status only shows about 80%. I installed a battery widget, and it shows 80%. Doesn't seem to charge past that. I'm at 4 hours and been at 80% for 30 minutes.

If I drain to zero (phone shuts off), will it recalibrate itself?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
I charged my SGP5 yesterday, and again today. The green icon looks full and has an "F". The green line in settings/about/status only shows about 80%. I installed a battery widget, and it shows 80%. Doesn't seem to charge past that. I'm at 4 hours and been at 80% for 30 minutes.

Well it will not recalibrate. To recalibrate it root your player, download the battery calibrator app and follow the instructions (all of these are in the app)

1. charge the player to 100%
2.press the calibrate button
3.use all your battery to the end when it will turn off by itself
4. charge the battery to 100% (I recommend to saturate it like 2-3 more hours)

Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 PM

Full Device Name: YP-G1CWY/XAA
Android Version: 2.3.5
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7 G1UEK18-CL562400
Firmware version: UEK18
Hello, first bug I would like to report is the buggy wifi signal reading. You can be a foot from the router and still have only two bars, but internet can be fine while over 40 ft away!
Second bug is my battery occasionally drains substancially over night WHILE POWERED OFF! Kinda weird, since it is supposedly "OFF".
Don't know what it is all about, but I'll lose 50% charge in a single night.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:

As I know, need 6 and half hour for fully charging

Old 12-02-2011, 11:43 AM

I'm waiting for a complete discharge, then I'll let it charge for 8 hours and see where it ends.

Other "bug": The FM radio seems to REQUIRE earphones. If you hit "Speaker", it won't tune any stations, keeps saying "headphones not plugged in". My headphones are at home, so I can't test to see if it resets once you do plug them in and starts working without them. ???

Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Samsung Moderator

I remind you this is not a discussion thread.
Either you experience a real bug and you report it as iJimaniac did or you post in another thread. Thanks.

PS: it's normal the FM radio requires earphones plugged. That's the case on amost any mobile device as the earphones are the antenna

Last edited by lebellium; 12-02-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 PM

Full Device Name: YP-G1CW/XSH
Android Version: 2.3.6
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G1XXKPQ-CL700402
Firmware version: XXKPQ

Hi I don't know if this is for all the internationnal versions but I cant get to connect to my home network. The router is a 2wire 2701HG-G from Bell Canada. When I try to connect it says:

1. Connecting
2. Scanning
3. Connecting
4. Disconnected

I get disconnected before to get connected? I need to use another router. By chance I have a Dlink router but it is really cheap.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:56 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
Full Device Name: YP-G1CWY/XAA
Android Version: 2.3.5
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7 G1UEK18-CL562400
Firmware version: UEK18
Hello, first bug I would like to report is the buggy wifi signal reading. You can be a foot from the router and still have only two bars, but internet can be fine while over 40 ft away!
Second bug is my battery occasionally drains substancially over night WHILE POWERED OFF! Kinda weird, since it is supposedly "OFF".
Don't know what it is all about, but I'll lose 50% charge in a single night.
I just got the reply from Samsung:
Quote:
As I tested G1 with UEKI8, Wifi signal is full near a router. And battery discharge is just 30%(100%->70%) for 60hrs with wifi signal.
I did not well understand their reply about the battery discharge though.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM

Full Device Name: YP-G70CWY/XAA
Android Version: v2.3.5
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G70UEKI8-CL566269 se.infra@SEP-49 #2
Firmware version: PDA:KI8 / CSC:KI8 (XAA)

Detailed bug report: So far I can have seen 3 bugs:

1) The battery level seems to get stuck at random times, also the device will still say charging when unplugged from the charger. This seems like a software glitch. This used to happen every few days but now it happens with in 24 hours, I now have no reliable way to check my battery life other than to restart the device.

2) The battery problem also seems to cause problems when I'm connecting the usb cable to a PC. Since the device can't tell if its plugged in or not, that means I can't transfer files to the PC. This is again fixed by restarting the device.

3) WiFi reception is poor but this might be a hardware limitation. When I am 10ft away from my router and if I grip the device by the sides the reception is cut in half, but if I lay it down flat and don't touch it then there is full signal. I think this might be because the antenna runs parallel on the sides and gripping there is like covering the antenna.

I might send this to Samsung and see what they say.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 PM

Definitely has battery issues. Sticks at 80 for a few hours, then jumps to 100%. Today it stuck on 100% (all day) until I rebooted, then it opened at 30%. Settings chart shows stuck at 100% and charging, even unplugged (seems to have no sense of actual time passage). I wonder if rooting would solve these issues.
Example of how bad the battery readings are (28 hrs shown):

Last edited by tcat; 12-26-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:51 AM

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heres the solution guys;
first of all wen battery gets charged to 80% let it b attached to charger for another haif n hour or so and then disconnect the device frm the charger
after dis turn on Wifi n start browsing internet for 10-25 mins and now plug in ur device back to the charger n browse for more 5 mins
Voilla!!!!! u will now c dat ur battery % will b now either 90% or 95%

Old 12-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Other "bug": The FM radio seems to REQUIRE earphones. If you hit "Speaker", it won't tune any stations, keeps saying "headphones not plugged in". My headphones are at home, so I can't test to see if it resets once you do plug them in and starts working without them. ???
Gingerbread for me.
Same thing but... i plug earphone and know i can scan channels and hear some radio. Then you can touch the VIA SPEAKER "button" and it works. And I have to do it each time (well, plug earphone then touch the speaker button).

Old 01-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Just a quick question here: Any problems with apps after downgrading to Froyo? There's way too many problems with downloaded apps for me to post here. just plain and simple, the firmware's buggy, and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out what's wrong.

Full Device Name: YP-G70
Android Version:v2.3.5 (I think...)
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G7OUEKI8-CL566269se.infra@SEP-49 #2
Firmware version: 2.3.5`(Just going by what it says)

Most apps, both sideloaded, and market installed always seem to have some kind of bug. This can be anything from minor (some pics refuse to load in quickpic, Some soundboard menus refuse to expand, sound glitches and unusual behaviors in music-based apps), to major (plants vs zombies resets the device in a loop, only ending when the power button's held down, tetris causes the device to shut down upon loading). Any attempts to fix these bugs refuses to work, including contacting the apps programmers themselves, and following their suggestions, and to ensure it's not just android in general, I tested these with my MIUI flashed phone (Samsung Fascinate), in which all apps tested worked 100%, without bugs. I also asked a programmer friend of mine to look into it, and based on all of the research he's done so far, it appears that the firmware in the Galaxy players for Gingerbread appears to be glitchy (No surprises there, huh?). Currently looking into either downgrading if it solves my app problem, or flashing with a different ROM, if there are any out there that exist.

EDIT: For grinz n gigglez, I called up Samsung support about this issue. Told me point blank that I either take this up with the app developers (I did, numerous times), or turn the device back in at the retailers (Best buy, in my case). Perhaps I'll turn it back in for a different player.

Last edited by Reddlemagne; 01-01-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: addition

Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 PM

Full Device Name: YP-G70 (US version, "XAA", I think)
Android Version: (my Settings doesn't show an "Android version". There is a Build Number GINGERBREAD-UEKI8
Kernel version: 2.6.35.70G70UEKI8-CLS566269 se.infra@SEP-49 #2
Firmware version: 2.3.5
Detailed bug report: The stock Camera app doesn't have zoom functionality. I think that this device seems to be able to zoom. I tested a bunch of camera apps from Market, and I've finally tested Camera Zoom FX from Market, and that does have a zoom function that works (all the others I tried had controls for zoom, but didn't actually zoom). In order to get Camera Zoom FX to zoom, I had to set the zoom type to "Type 4".

I don't know if this would exactly be classified as a "bug", but since that one app CAN apparently zoom, it seems like something that Samsung COULD fix in an update.

Jim

Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaya View Post
Full Device Name: YP-G70 (US version, "XAA", I think)
Android Version: (my Settings doesn't show an "Android version". There is a Build Number GINGERBREAD-UEKI8
Kernel version: 2.6.35.70G70UEKI8-CLS566269 se.infra@SEP-49 #2
Detailed bug report: The stock Camera app doesn't have zoom functionality. I think that this device seems to be able to zoom. I tested a bunch of camera apps from Market, and I've finally tested Camera Zoom FX from Market, and that does have a zoom function that works (all the others I tried had controls for zoom, but didn't actually zoom). In order to get Camera Zoom FX to zoom, I had to set the zoom type to "Type 4".

I don't know if this would exactly be classified as a "bug", but since that one app CAN apparently zoom, it seems like something that Samsung COULD fix in an update.

Jim
You can zoom but not with the max resolution(3.2mp) . Try zooming with the lower resolutions.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 PM

Digital zoom is basically worthless. Camera Zoom FX adds zoom, but it makes a file that is basically the same as taking a 1:1 image and cropping it (which actually turns out looking better). I don't think any smartphones have an optical zoom. I don't see this as a bug since they don't advertise it with a zoom.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Digital zoom is basically worthless. Camera Zoom FX adds zoom, but it makes a file that is basically the same as taking a 1:1 image and cropping it (which actually turns out looking better). I don't think any smartphones have an optical zoom. I don't see this as a bug since they don't advertise it with a zoom.
I agree

Old 01-09-2012, 06:09 PM

Full Device Name: YP-G1 (US version)
Android Version: GINGERBREAD.UEKI8
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G1UEKI8-CL562400 se.infra@sep-59 #2

EDIT: I changed the description to be clearer. Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining things.

When you play music, a notification pops up in the notification bar (with the stock player). If the music is paused for a while (around a minute or so) and you do something else, like web browsing, the notification disappears and the music application exits.

Last edited by gupti; 02-06-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM

Default Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 YP G70

I have a samsung galaxy player 5.0

Am unable to add lyrics to my player. in the stock player there is a skin for lyrics. But unlike an ipod, the lyrics do not sync when i transfer them from kies.

please help

Tags
bugs, galaxy, players, reports, samsung