android
Old 01-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Default Transfering Apps to Save on a PC

Is it possible to take an app in the SGP 5 and save it as a file on a PC for installation back to the SGP 5 at some future time. The reason I ask is that there are some apps that I download that I decide for the moment that I have no use for, but think maybe some time in the future I might. I would like to save the apk for future use and then delete it off the SGP now. If this is possible, what folder do I look in on the SGP to transfer to the PC and what do I look for?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2012, 05:28 PM

If they are Market apps, just download when you want them, that way they're current. If it's "off-brand" just save the .apk file where ever you want. Most explorer apps have a back-up feature. Or use https://market.android.com/details?i...XBwYmFja3VwIl0. which seems pointless to me.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 PM

I've gotten most of my apps from the Amazon app store, lots of free daily apps, and they stay in my Amazon digital account and can be downloaded to any android device I have, like the galaxy 5, and the Nook Color cm7. If I delete it off the device, it is still in my Amazon account forever, to download again if wanted, or on another android device. I think most android Markets work the same way.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Default Transfering Apps to Save on a PC

I spent the better part of a full day downloading navfree maps. It looks like they are :

/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.navfree.android.samsung.OSM.USA/files/UserData/maps/$com.MAP.OSM.USA/map_osm_5.3.0.99/usa/map_osm_5.3.0.99

Under this directory, there are all the states as state.ydb files.
I'm thinking I can just copy the directory structure, starting at :

/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/
and recursively copying
com.navfree.android.samsung.OSM.USA

My fear is that if I get into a situation where I have to re-install, and I put those files back,
the new installation might not see these ( or maybe try to write over them ).

Any thoughts ?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
I've gotten most of my apps from the Amazon app store, lots of free daily apps, and they stay in my Amazon digital account and can be downloaded to any android device I have, like the galaxy 5, and the Nook Color cm7. If I delete it off the device, i tt is still in my Amazon account forever, to download again if wanted, or on another android device. I think most android Markets work the same way.
The apps are from Amazon app store. They are listed in my apps but I see no way to reinstall them or download them back.

Last edited by 1776; 01-06-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 PM

I found this link - if anyone needs to get an apk file out this will do it -

http://mauweb.net/3.0/en/technology/...r-android.html

Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 PM

I would just copy that directory to your PC. Even with a reinstall, the maps won't change. If you open the app and says you have a map update you can choose to update (or not). The maps (and voices) are what are large files, the app should read it as long as you put it back in the same folder.

I only downloaded Texas, did take about 30 minutes (hate to do the "USA"!). I back up my whole SD card, so individual files will always be available. I get all apps from Market or Amazon... they're always there (unless the developer gets in hot water... in which case I wouldn't want it anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkoceski View Post
I spent the better part of a full day downloading navfree maps. It looks like they are :

/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.navfree.android.samsung.OSM.USA/files/UserData/maps/$com.MAP.OSM.USA/map_osm_5.3.0.99/usa/map_osm_5.3.0.99

Under this directory, there are all the states as state.ydb files.
I'm thinking I can just copy the directory structure, starting at :

/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/
and recursively copying
com.navfree.android.samsung.OSM.USA

My fear is that if I get into a situation where I have to re-install, and I put those files back,
the new installation might not see these ( or maybe try to write over them ).

Any thoughts ?

Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 PM

Yeah, this is one of the times where I think Apple got it right; provide a way to take a snapshot of your device so that if it needs to be replaced all you have to do is plug in the new one and hit restore. I know it can be done in the Android world (e.g. Titanium Backup) but it would be nice if a non-root solution was provided as a core part of the experience.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Just drag your SD card contents to a PC (I just did 11gb in about 10 minutes). If your device craps out, just do factory reset, install your important apps, and drag anything that's missing back to the device (ie stuff like GO Launcher folders so all your settings come back). I just backed up all my .apk's with File Expert, other than locking up my 5.0 because I was clicking buttons too fast, it went fast and now I have all my apk's in 2 places that I can easily reinstall from. If you're not rooted you will lose some system settings, but nothing that should take that long to get back to.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Just drag your SD card contents to a PC (I just did 11gb in about 10 minutes). If your device craps out, just do factory reset, install your important apps, and drag anything that's missing back to the device (ie stuff like GO Launcher folders so all your settings come back). I just backed up all my .apk's with File Expert, other than locking up my 5.0 because I was clicking buttons too fast, it went fast and now I have all my apk's in 2 places that I can easily reinstall from. If you're not rooted you will lose some system settings, but nothing that should take that long to get back to.
Thanks for illustrating my point.