android
Old 12-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Default Confused about on-board memory...

Stats say ROM on board is 1.88GB total
And SD Card is 5 GB total
RAM is 377MB total

Why is ROMB broken out separately from SC Card?
And, SD Card is really internal memory. Why is it labeled in such a confusing fashion (because there is a REAL sd card located elsewhere, why confuse the issue?)

So if you add ROM and SD cadr = 6.88 GB. Where the heck is the other 1.1 GB of internal memory?

Just trying to read into the mind of Samsung/designers. 8 GB is not a lot to start with but this seems like a very confusing way to parcel out memory.

Any thoughts to help clarify this?

Thanks
bd

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 PM

well first off 8GB is really closer to 7.4-5 that is just a standard issue the arises with the definition of a real gigabyte versus a "marketing" gigabyte 1024 MB vs. 1000 MB.
But its not 5 its 5.5 you need to reexamine those numbers again they take the 1.xx GB and reserve that space for apps since most apps must be on the device and cannot run from an external card so I imagine they said ok this should be enough space to store apps for the average person without eating to much of the overall capacity of the player, I personally would love if there was a way to dynamically adjust how much space is allotted to each.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:05 AM

Default i'm confused too

how many apps can i have? i want to put kindle on it but i read it takes up 1 bg. isn't that taking up all of the 1.somthing you get for apps? what if i want more than 1.somthing apps on the player?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kitties View Post
how many apps can i have? i want to put kindle on it but i read it takes up 1 bg. isn't that taking up all of the 1.somthing you get for apps? what if i want more than 1.somthing apps on the player?
The Kindle app doesn't take anywhere near 1GB of space. Last time I checked, the app itself was just shy of 3MB.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM

I have over 125 apps using about 500mb (including Kindle, Navfree, AB, and 2 or 3 other 25mb+ games), of 1.9gb available for apps. It would be real tough to use up the app space. Currently on my 5.0:

RAM: 2.7 mb of 3.8 mb
System: 505 mb of 1.88 gb
Int SD: 1.5 gb of 5.01 gb
Ext SD 9.2 gb of 14.9 gb
Personal data: 9.3 mb of 133 mb (whatever that is...)

"Int SD" and "Ext SD" can be use for bulk data (video, MP3, Pictures, Maps, etc.). "System" is where apps go and operating system resides (can't mess with it w/o root), although you can move many to SD if you actually do use up the huge space.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 PM

thank you