android
Old 01-19-2012, 05:16 AM

Help Does anyone own the Rearth Ringke case for the i9?

I just got an iaudio 9, and I'm considering buying this case, but I'm wondering how well the touchpad functions with the case covering it?

http://www.rearthusa.com/Cowon-iAudio-9_p_176.html

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 AM

hi Kara_ I don't use a case on my i9 but at $13.99 it's hard to go wrong if that's what you like.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-19-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
hi Kara_ I don't use a case on my i9 but at $13.99 it's hard to go wrong if that's what you like.
Thanks for the reply. They make good cases from what I've read, but I haven't seen a review from someone who's used the i9 case in particular. This case is different from others, as the touchpad is covered. I don't want to throw $14 away if the touchpad won't function normally.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM

I actually have this combo and I'm quite happy with (although I don't recommend the white). I have occasionally (once a month, at most) had problems with the left arrow in the upper-left corner of the touchpad. In these cases, I had to press 2 or 3 times to get the press to register. FWIW, I have a full-length screen protector on the i9 as well, so that could have also interfered.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsammy View Post
I actually have this combo and I'm quite happy with (although I don't recommend the white). I have occasionally (once a month, at most) had problems with the left arrow in the upper-left corner of the touchpad. In these cases, I had to press 2 or 3 times to get the press to register. FWIW, I have a full-length screen protector on the i9 as well, so that could have also interfered.
Thanks for the info! How come you don't recommend the white?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 PM

FWIW, I also have this case, color "Choco," and the full-length screen protector, as well. I had a couple of problems using the touchpad, so I just increased the sensitivity under "Settings," and that did the trick. It's a great case for a great player, IMHO.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmashNow View Post
FWIW, I also have this case, color "Choco," and the full-length screen protector, as well. I had a couple of problems using the touchpad, so I just increased the sensitivity under "Settings," and that did the trick. It's a great case for a great player, IMHO.
Thanks for your review!

I actually went to order it after reading JSammy's post, but found that all my color choices were sold out. I decided that the i9 looks too nice to cover it up, anyway. I've never had a case or screen protector on any of my players, and they're all still spotless, so it wasn't really a necessity for me.

Maybe this info will help someone else considering the case, though.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 PM

There's nothing like the feel of a naked DAP

Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've totally come around to that way of thinking as well. I used to be so anal about protective screens and silicon cases etc, but nowadays i kinda feel by the time its looking a bit rough i'll upgrade anyway. And resale value for items like this is far less these days than it used to be. Churn 'n burn baby!
Covering up the DAPs really takes away how they were meant to be, and i hate screen protectors, no matter how well u do the job it still degrades the screen quality.

Still, i am hunting for a better way to afix a clip onto those daps that have none....

Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

found this on ebay, gonna have a look at my local hardware store tomorrow also.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Office-Me...ht_2573wt_1142

Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Administrator

There's a few suggestions in this thread. I was going to try the ones in this post but decided I actually like my Clip+ better without the clip on the back.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I filed the nobly bit down on the back of my clip+ and afixed a spare krussel clip i had lying around, this worked great.
The thing about the clip is because its so light i didn't find I had to use a spring loaded one, a money clip or something familiar would do the job nicely.
My preferred way of clipping it to me is to have it hanging upside down at the bottom of my tshirt or jumper (rather than trousers) and that makes it easiest to check whats playing/navigate as you just turn it up without unclipping etc.

This is how i want to use the i9, but i think i'll want a gripping spring loaded mechanism just so there's lest chance of it slipping off.
The clips without the clips are lovely tiny wee things lol, i don't undestand why they dont go back to the removable clip (and why other manufacturers don't install this on their devices too).

Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
... ... This is how i want to use the i9, but i think i'll want a gripping spring loaded mechanism just so there's lest chance of it slipping off.
The i9 is too large and much heavier than the Clip so it might just pull off a lot easier if the clip doesn't have a lot of force. Personally I'd rather not clip my i9 but to each their own ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
... (and why other manufacturers don't install this on their devices too).
apple copied SanDisk right away on their small player to the point that people believe apple did the clip first

Old 07-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wonder... what about magnet clip, like whereby u afix a magnet on the rearside of the i9, then sandwhiche the item of clothing with another magnet the other side? I only mention this as i actually have some flexible magnetic strip (with an adhesive side) lying around (as u do).
Would i be risking damage to the player using a relatively low powered magnet near/on the rear of player?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
apple copied SanDisk right away on their small player to the point that people believe apple did the clip first
I hate to burst your bubble, but the 2nd gen Shuffle, that incorporated a clip, was released before the original Sansa Clip that we all love here.

Quote:
On September 12, 2006, Apple announced the release of the second generation iPod Shuffle, calling it "the most wearable iPod ever".[4] First shipments of the unit were slated for an October 2006 arrival, but actually started shipping on Friday, November 3, 2006.[5] The second generation initially featured a lone 1 GB model in a silver brushed aluminum case similar to the second generation iPod Nano and the older iPod Mini. The new model is less than half the size of the first generation model at 41.2 x 27.3 x 10.5 mm (1.62 x 1.07 x 0.41 in), and is the size of the iPod Radio Remote available for iPod Nanos and 5th generation iPods. Apple claimed it was the "world's smallest MP3 player". This size includes the new built-in belt clip;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Shuffle
Quote:
Also known as the m300, the Sansa Clip was released on October 9, 2007.[13] The player is similar in size to the second-generation iPod Shuffle, but incorporates a removable clip and 4-line OLED screen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SanDisk_Sansa
Obviously, I think the Clip is better than the Shuffle, given the screen, MSC mode and RB availability though.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How dare Apple innovate!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, ...
I thought I might be wrong but I went ahead and posted to see the apple fans defend their brand :P

Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ahhahaha

Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I thought I might be wrong but I went ahead and posted to see the apple fans defend their brand :P
I actually no longer own any Apple devices...
Samsung, Motorola, Sansa, and Sony here. (with a FiiO E6 and E11 in the mix)

Old 07-16-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I actually no longer own any Apple devices...
Samsung, Motorola, Sansa, and Sony here. (with a FiiO E6 and E11 in the mix)
Nice, I though I would stimulate a response