android
Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 PM

Default GrooveIP

For thise who use GrooveIP for calling, what are your settings? I noticed I had to check the "wifi tablet" box to hear the incoming party. She complained about an echo (that I couldn't hear). Particular settings that seem to work well for you?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2011, 12:38 AM

here's a video with some of the basic settings, i haven't gotten any deeper into it, as I have a cell phone but I did test and confirm it working with just the settings he shows in the video it had a delay and seemed like an echo but since the devices where so close it was hard to say if that is what was causing the echo.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 AM

That doesn't get too far into the settings, also for a 4.0, not 5.0 (although I assume settings will be similar). My problems is I can't get voice to go through the mic without turning on the speakerphone (or it's going through, but return message is not getting back to me. I'm using "echo test" to try to get this working properly (909-390-0003).
My settings:
Audio.echo: Skr Vol. = 6, Mic gain = -6
Troubleshooting: Screen On, Sync Voice, Mic Buffer small, Mic Source Auto, PWlock off,
Misc: Default area code entered, GrooveIP log.
Speakerphone ON when making a call (this should not be necessary!)

edit: Got it working with speakerphone off, my bad... had the main voice volume on about zero... my settings are now as stated above, except speakerphone off, main voice volume 4/5.

Last edited by tcat; 12-16-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 PM

I finally got a chance to tune my GrooVe IP settings on my YP-G70 (Woot purchased non USA version). Seems to be working quite well for me so far, of course YMMV.
Here are my settings:
Allow 3G/4G Calling - unchecked (no cell radio on G70)
Accept calls on answer - checked (personal pref)
Native Dialer Options - Ignored this sub menu (no native dialer present)
Audio/Echo Settings:
Echo Cancellation:
Echo Cancellation - checked
Post processing - unchecked
Echo Tail - 0 ms - 200 ms
Speaker Volume - (3)
Microphone Gain - (1)
Ringtone Override - pick one you like
Use Contact Ringtones - Checked (personal pref)
DTMF Feedback - Unchecked (I find the tones annoying)
Troubleshooting:
Keep Screen On - Unchecked
Accept Call Time - (9)
Audio Processing - Unchecked
WiFi Tablet - Unchecked
Synchronize Voice - Unchecked
Audio Mode Fallback - Unchecked
Audio Routing - Unchecked
Mic Buffer - Medium
Mic Source - Auto
Partial Wake Lock - Unchecked
High Perf WiFi Lock - Unchecked
Override STUN Server - Unchecked
Miscellaneous:
The Misc settings are pretty straight forward if you want to mess with them. There are only two I feel like mentioning: Default Area Code makes local dialing a little easier. Google Talk Status allows you to type in the status message you want displayed when signed in to GrooVe IP.

Other observations:
Speakerphone mode seems fairly decent. I haven't tried calls with the ear buds with mic yet. I was initially concerned about holding the active touchscreen near my face as the unit doesn't have a proximity shutoff like most touch phones. I learned that locking/blanking the screen has no impact on continuing calls - so no worries then about accidentally hanging up with your cheek or something.

Hope this helps. If this continues to work well for me it will soon replace my phone all together (with the help of a contract free mobile hotspot for those few times I am away from a fixed WiFi zone).

Old 01-12-2012, 09:18 AM

Default GrooVe IP - contact ringtones

GrooVe IP with my G70 is now working well as a phone replacement. I was missing the ability to have distinctive rings for different callers, but no more. Several of the apps on the Android Marked will enable this. I am using Ringtone Maker by Big Bang which seems pretty good, but use the search term "assign ringtone" and you will find several that should do it.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 PM

"Groovy" I use "Ringdroid on my phone, so I just tried it on my 5.0, works good (although haven't received any calls yet). Does the contact show up as tagged with a ringtone anywhere? On my phone it's an item under contacts, but I don't see it anywhere on the Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
GrooVe IP with my G70 is now working well as a phone replacement. I was missing the ability to have distinctive rings for different callers, but no more. Several of the apps on the Android Marked will enable this. I am using Ringtone Maker by Big Bang which seems pretty good, but use the search term "assign ringtone" and you will find several that should do it.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM

GrooVe IP and the resident Contact App don't have a place to show ringtone assignments as far as I know, but Ringtone Maker accesses your Contact list within the App and assignments are shown there (Menu>More>Contacts).

Old 01-12-2012, 04:31 PM

Ok. Ringdroid also works (but you can't see them once you've assigned them). I assigned my work number "Workin' for a Livin'" and called myself... thanks for making me aware!

edit: I noticed GrooveIP shuts off now and then (ball to red), I think it was mainly with screen off for a while. I set:
High Perf WiFi Lock - to checked and seems to be OK now. It doesn't appear to be using any extra juice.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 PM

May be another way of doing the same thing. I'll have to compare battery use sometime, but WiFi Sleep policy on our device may be set to turn off WiFi anytime the screen is off for more than 15 minutes. If you are using this as a phone replacement, that is a good way to miss a lot of calls, so I set WiFi sleep to "never". Battery still seems to do OK.

Edit:Sleep policy can be found at:
Menu>Wireless and Network>Wi-Fi settings>Menu>Advanced

Last edited by skwatch; 01-12-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:50 PM

Where is wifi sleep policy on these things? Can't find that setting.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Check my edit above.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 PM

Thanks! Not too obvious... but mine was on never. So not sure what my sign-off problem was. Supposed to be GrooveIP update shortly (waiting for Amazon to get it). Will see what happens then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
Check my edit above.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 PM

Will this app work with skype?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 PM

I think it's basically the same as Skype. No video.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 PM

I actually use Skype in conjunction with Google Voice. This is the first time I've heard of accessing GVoice directly through a device using an app though. I'm used to using GVoice to forward phone calls from my preferred telephone number to skype-in, magic-jack and landline phones. That way, I can transfer calls between one and the other transparently. So GrooveIP directly accesses GVoice without a phone and includes its own dialer, bypassing the necessity of having another phone venue.

I guess my question was more about whether or not I could use the GrooveIP dialer to to directly access Skype, since the default device dialer has been hampered and Skype's dialer isn't able to be tied to web-accessed phone numbers or accessed through contacts, even though skype contacts can be synced with contacts.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 PM

You do need a Google Voice# for GrooveIP. You forward calls to Google Chat (or both chat and your cell phone). I no longer want calls sent to my phone, so I just sent to chat where GrooveIP picks it up and sends to my Player (or voicemail if wifi is off). I would not think you could use the two together.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
You do need a Google Voice# for GrooveIP. You forward calls to Google Chat (or both chat and your cell phone). I no longer want calls sent to my phone, so I just sent to chat where GrooveIP picks it up and sends to my Player (or voicemail if wifi is off). I would not think you could use the two together.
How do you forward to Google Chat?

I downloaded and installed the Google Voice app from the Market. First time running it, it said that I needed to go to the Google Voice site and get a number. I went through the registration process for a number, and the last thing it asked for was the phone number(s) to have Voice forward to. By this time I had got the notification on my SGP5 that I now had a Voice number so I aborted the registration and of course now it says I have no Google Voice number. Obviously SGP5 does not have a phone so I got stumped on the forward to number request.

Also, just to check that I understand this correct, Google Voice is what is required to get incoming calls (hence the need for the Google Voice number), and GrooveIP is what allows me to make a outgoing call?

I don't carry a cell phone so I thought it would be nice to have Voice on my SGP5 in case I needed it.

So again, what do I do when I get to the end of Google Voice registration and it asks for a forwarding number?

tnx
George

Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM

Google Voice is a free service provided by Google that allows you to have a free phone number that can forward to your other phone numbers. The Google Voice app allows you to access the SMS text messages, voice messages and a list of who called your google voice number, but it does not allow you to change other things like to which phones your calls should be forwarded and when. For now, you have to log into a browser to do these things. The Google Voice app gives you a small fraction of the capability of actual Google Voice, the service, but most likely the services you'll be most interested in on your phone or, in this case, the SGP.

For instance, I have a google voice telephone number. When people call that number, that call is forwarded to my home phone and my skype phone. I can pick it up on either phone. I can also transfer it from skype to the home phone or vice versa. That means someone else can call the google voice number and my wife can answer the call on the home phone while I talk to someone on the skype phone. On vacation, I can also forward the google voice number to my cell.

The google voice service and app also allow you to send and receive free text messages (SMS) to and from any telephone capable of receiving SMS messages.

Once you have successfully configured google voice in a browser, you'll need to log in on the app. Then you should see whatever is in your google voice log that you would see when you log in on your browser.

You can forward to google chat in the Browser interface for Google Voice. I've never tried it on the SGP. tcat, are you saying you've done this successfully?

Also, I'm wondering whether or not GrooveIP's dialer will work with Skype. I thought I'd read somewhere that it might.

Last edited by greenman; 01-22-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Google Voice is a free service provided by Google that allows you to have a free phone number that can forward to your other phone numbers.
Thank you for your reply, that is pretty much what I figured it was. I guess what I was asking was how does this relate to using my SGP5 as a phone? Before I can use GrooveIP I need to have the incoming Google Voice call forwarded to the SGP5, and being that it has no number, I can't register it as the "Forward To". My only interest in Google Voice and GrooveIP is to have phone like use on my SGP5, I have no need to forward a number to other phones.

tnx
George

Old 01-22-2012, 06:36 PM

That's where GrooveIP comes in.
1. Set up Google Voice in a browser (probably your computer's browser will be easiest.)
2. Set up google chat on your google mail account in a browser.
3. Test call someone from chat in your google mail account in a browser. Be sure to have a mic headest.
4. Install GrooveIP on your SGP. (Paid app.)
5. Log into GrooveIP with your gmail account user/pass.
6. Make a call from GrooveIP using your GVoice or Local contacts.
7. Receive a call with GrooveIP using your Gvoice account phone number.

Easy?

(As to my original question, I suspect there is no interface available between GrooveIP and skype. I think I'll email GrooveIP and confirm.)

Last edited by greenman; 01-22-2012 at 10:38 PM.