android
Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 PM

You do NEED a Google Voice number for GrooveIP or SMS to work, you can get a number free with GV. You can make and receive calls with that number on a PC also. You can forward to both Chat (GrooveIP) and your cell, both should ring. Sometimes the call might go straight to voicemail if you have forwarding to both. GrooveIP goes on sale at Amazon now and then for $1.99... try to catch it if you're not sure what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeP1111 View Post
Thank you for your reply, that is pretty much what I figured it was. I guess what I was asking was how does this relate to using my SGP5 as a phone? Before I can use GrooveIP I need to have the incoming Google Voice call forwarded to the SGP5, and being that it has no number, I can't register it as the "Forward To". My only interest in Google Voice and GrooveIP is to have phone like use on my SGP5, I have no need to forward a number to other phones.

tnx
George

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
That's where GrooveIP comes in.
1. Set up Google Voice in a browser (probably your computer's browser will be easiest.)
Ok, first step.... I did attempt to set up Google Voice in my PC's browser, but the last step in setting it up is "Forward Number". What so I do for a "Forward Number"? I have no other numbers I want to have Google Voice forward my calls to, I want the calls forwarded to my SGP5 which has no number.

Thanks for your help, but your first step is the one I'm hung up on (so far).

George

Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeP1111 View Post
Ok, first step.... I did attempt to set up Google Voice in my PC's browser, but the last step in setting it up is "Forward Number". What so I do for a "Forward Number"? I have no other numbers I want to have Google Voice forward my calls to, I want the calls forwarded to my SGP5 which has no number.

Thanks for your help, but your first step is the one I'm hung up on (so far).

George
Perhaps this will help:
Go to settings. (It's the gear icon on the right.)

Check 'Chat' (See circled in image below.)
It will automatically save your settings immediately upon checking the box.

Then you can log in using GrooveIP.
At least that's the theory...

If google chat isn't available, it probably needs to be enabled in your Gmail account.
Pretty convoluted, I know...
Hope that clears it up.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Perhaps this will help:
Go to settings. (It's the gear icon on the right.)
Thanks for your help attempts, I do appreciate it. I did go to the settings as you suggested, but as I have no phones associated with Google, I have no phone tab as you show. I did go back to Google Voice and picked another number, but as before, at the end it still needs a phone number to be forwarded to, nowhere is there a option for me to pick Chat.

I think for now I'm going to give up on this idea.

tnx agn for the help

George

Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 PM

The others on this string have covered the process pretty well. I am using GrooVe IP on my SGP with no other phone and hence no "forwarding number". Calls are made and received on the SGP (or on my PC) through only the Google Voice number. The Google Voice android app is very nice for getting SMS (texts) via the same # on the device. I will say that having no other number, there have been a few times when I have gotten warnings in the Google Voice settings pages (on the PC). I can't remember the exact wording or setting I was adjusting when I got it, but the system seemed to indicate a problem with not having a non Google forwarding number. I ignored the warning and have continued to enjoy making and receiving calls with the system and no monthly phone bill.

Greenman - I am pretty sure GrooVe IP isn't currently configured to dial out via Skype, but the Devs that produced it (SNRB Labs) are usually great about answering questions and are continually adding features based on user feedback, so you could ask.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 PM

The "forward number" can be deselected or removed(I forget) after you create the account in google voice settings. I’m not sure it matters mutch what you use for a forward # considering like myself you will disable it.
Make sure you forward calls To google chat while in google voice settings.
When you launch grooveip it will sign into your google voice account. Now your player will ring when your google voice number is called. The google voice # you selected is the # for your player.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 PM

Give up if it is just too much of a pain, but I assure you it can work. The integration of various projects in Google has made some pretty nifty capabilities very clunky to setup. Another thing that may be your road block is that Chat has to be enabled and set up in your Gmail settings before forward to Chat will show up in your Google Voice settings if I remember correctly. As someone suggested earlier, if you can first make sure you are able to make and receive voice calls using the "call phone" feature in Gmail with your Google Voice number, getting it to function afterwards on the SGP through GrooVe IP may go smoother.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEVAREX View Post
The "forward number" can be deselected or removed(I forget) after you create the account in google voice settings. Iím not sure it matters mutch what you use for a forward # considering like myself you will disable it.
Make sure you forward calls To google chat while in google voice settings.
When you launch grooveip it will sign into your google voice account. Now your player will ring when your google voice number is called. The google voice # you selected is the # for your player.
Thanks to all that have responded.

I have a cell phone that the contract will run out next month so I used that number for the "Forward To" number, and I did select "Forward Calls to Google Chat" as suggested. Now when I call my new Google Voice number and my cell phone is ON, it rings and I can talk to my wife on it. If the cell phone is OFF, then after about 6 or so rings Google Voice answers and asks for a message which then shows up on my SGP5 notifications with the phone icon and I can select/play/delete it. So far so good.

Now as suggested I go back into Google Voice settings on my PC and attempt to delete the "Forward To" number. I comes up with a notice that there must be at least on physical phone listed to forward to. There does not appear to be any way to continue Voice with out one. If someone has a suggestion on this I would like to hear it because I don't want to continue using the cells number after my contract runs out because sooner or later it will probably be reissued to someone else.

Also, maybe I misunderstood this, but I thought that Google Voice would also allow voice conversation. Meaning that it would allow my incoming Voice number to ring the SGP5 and be used as a phone, and it was the GrooveIP that was required to enable a dialer and allow outgoing calls to be made. So, is it Chat or Voice that is receiving the voice mail (I assume Chat because that is what I also selected as Forward To). If it is Chat that is handling the voice mail (I get the phone icon) then at this stage of the game what does the Google Voice app do for me?

Anyhow, at this point, the issue with the "Forward To" number may be a deal breaker.

I am having fun tho and thats good :-)

tnx
George

Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM

Ok, I did see in Google Voice > Settings > Phones > Mobile > Edit > Show advanced Settings > Forwarding Options > Deactivate. When I click this it tells me to dial *73 on my mobile (cell) phone. I do this but the Google Voice number still rings it so that does not appear to be my answer.

Under the same heading is the "Ring my other phones before going to Voice Mail" option. I checked this and now the SGP5 rings like a phone before going to voice mail. Now if there were some way of answering this incoming call??

George

Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 PM

OK, I think there is some (understandable) confusion between Google features on the PC versus related Apps for the android devices. The Google voice App on your SGP5 does NOT allow for a two way voice conversation on the device. With just Google voice on your SGP5, you can get messages, but you cannot talk with someone on the device no matter who initiates the call. It DOES support two way texting which is integrated into a Google Voice "mailbox". In this mailbox voicemail left on your Google voice number can be accessed. You can listen to voicemail that has been left and often read transcriptions of voicemail as well. The transcription feature does not always work well.

GrooVe IP is an App from a developer other than Google. There are others that may work but it is the best App I have found that allows me to use my SGP5 as a phone utilizing the framework Google has put in place.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Goerge, did you try the GrooVe IP settings I posted on the first page of this string? Of particular interest with your latest issue is the "accept calls on answer" and "accept call time" entries.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
Goerge, did you try the GrooVe IP settings I posted on the first page of this string? Of particular interest with your latest issue is the "accept calls on answer" and "accept call time" entries.
Thank you for the clarification of Google Voice.

I did see and copied your GrooveIP settings to my notes, but I have not installed it yet because I have to get past this requirement of the "Forward To" number. I cannot leave the current number I'm using (cell) because in the near future it may belong to someone else, so this whole idea may end here.

tnx
George

Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Ok...I found under Mobile>Edit>Advances Settings>Ring Schedule: Select “Never Ring on Weekdays” & “Never Ring on Weekends”. This appears to take care of my main issue about the "Forward To" phone. Now when I call my Google Voice number my cell does not ring and after I hear 6 ring tones on the calling phone it rolls over to Google Voice Mail and then the SGP5 notifies me that I have a Voice Mail.

In one of my previous postings above I mentioned that one time my SGP5 actually was ringing with a Phone icon being displayed in the Notification bar. Well that only happened once and now I only get the Voice Mail.

Anyhow, I getting closer to installing GrooveIP. I just want to get this other stuff sorted out first.

George

Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM

It's all a roll of the dice... works one day and not the next. My GrooveIP stopped receiving audio the last update. I could normally call local time-temp and get a report read to me. Now I dial the number, it says "connected", but silence.... I ended up checking the Troubleshooting box "Wifi tablets" and it works fine now. That box had never been checked, so no clue if they changed something on the update, or I installed an app that screwed it up. I've been playing with several "assistant" type apps lately... they all mess with voice stuff, so I'm thinking maybe that had an effect...

I just want to make sure it's dependable before I drop my $25 unlimited VM plan... I haven't used my cell once in a month. I will likely try the $5 Truconnect mifi plan as a back-up for in car use.... I'd probably never use more than 100mb of data.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
I just want to make sure it's dependable before I drop my $25 unlimited VM plan... I haven't used my cell once in a month. I will likely try the $5 Truconnect mifi plan as a back-up for in car use.... I'd probably never use more than 100mb of data.
If you drop your $25 unlimited VM plan you cannot go back for $25. It is $35 now...

Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 PM

I realize that (the reason I keep adding a month and trying to make the decision). I'm either dropping it for a $5 paygo plan or a $5 mifi plan... either way I save $15-$20. The phone is more reliable, but mifi gives me the same thing I have now... it's not really legal to tether with my $25 plan... but would be with the $5 plan... makes no sense, but hey, saves $15-$20/mo. Wifi hotspots are only going to increase in the future, so I really see no need for a 3G phone. I have wifi at home and work... the 1 hour a day in my car is all I need 3G for... and it's safer not to mess with gadgets in a car anyway. Navfree works great in the car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
If you drop your $25 unlimited VM plan you cannot go back for $25. It is $35 now...

Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM

George, see pic
the circled # here is what i used as my forward to #. within this i circled the checkbox. If you click on the green checkbox it should grey out. this action is what will keep google from ringing this forward #.
install and run groove IP. groove will then log into your gmail account.(when you create your voice account it needs to be with a gmail account). you should now be able to place and receive calls with groove IP.
groove must be up and running to make and receive calls. it will not turn itself on when your google voice # is called.

hope this helps.
let us all know how it works out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC20120123-181742-picsay.jpg (54.9 KB, 8 views)

Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEVAREX View Post
George, see pic
Boy, sometimes I just can't see the forest for the trees, who would have thought... getting done in by a little green arrow?? I never even thought about deselecting that box. I put back the "Never Ring On..." settings and deselected the box and yup... it didn't ring my cell phone. What a deal !! Even at this stage, it's nice to know that I can at least get voice mail.

I still wonder what I did that one time that caused my SGP5 to actually ring and show the phone notification.

Anyhow, it looks like GrooVeIP will be tomorrows project.

Thanks for taking the time to point out the obvious, some of us are a little near sighted.

George

Old 01-23-2012, 07:51 PM

I haven't given my google number to anything or anyone and I got a junk mail text on it the other day, frakin google.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 PM

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
I haven't given my google number to anything or anyone and I got a junk mail text on it the other day, frakin google.
Do you have any apps installed that discover known accounts or a simmilar permission.
I do not install any app or game that allows retreval of personal info.unless it needs it. Many games and live walls include these permissions for no good reason. I have not ever received crap mail.