android
Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 PM

Default WMP playlists on SGP?

How can I get my playlists I sync from windows media player to show up as playlists on the galaxy player 4.0? I synced some playlists but that synced the music in the playlists but no playlist shows up on the player.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You're using an advanced Android-powered player, why would you defile it with WMP?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Why what would you recommend I defile it with? lol

It's just what I use. I just figured out I had to change the usb connection type to media player and resync

Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 PM

Default How To Delete a Playlist on SGP5?

Marvin: I'm brand new to Android. What method would you recommend for interfacing with it and syncing material?

One method I've used for syncing WMP playlists: I sync the playlist the normal way in WMP12. Then I copy the playlist file (*.wpl) to a "Playlists" folder that I created in the Music folder on my SGP5. Media Scanner finds the playlist.

Last edited by Bob K; 01-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Marvin: I'm brand new to Android. What method would you recommend for interfacing with it and syncing material?
I can't answer your question with any certitude yet, Bob...I don't have an Android device yet. I am hoping sometime soon that I can get one of the SGP 5.0's for myself, but at this point I have no experience with one. I'm just not a fan of WMP for managing my music or my devices.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0
Win7 x64 Home Premium
Stock music player
Android 2.3.5

Here's what I've experienced so far when syncing music and playlists using Windows Media Player 12.

Mass storage mode. With the SGP5 is in Mass storage mode, I must first connect the SGP5 and then start WMP12 in order to WMP12 to detect the internal and external storage. I can drag a playlist to the Sync tab and it will properly sync the music; however, it will not add the actual playlist to the SGP5.

Media player mode. With the SGP5 in Media player mode, I can connect the SGP5 with WMP12 already open and WMP12 will properly detect the internal and external storage. I can drag a playlist to the Sync tab and it will properly sync the music. It will also create a .pla playlist file that it stores at /mnt/sdcard/Playlists. The .pla playlist file contains all the correct entries and the stock music player will recognize and play the playlist. However, there is a persistent error (see error #1 below)

I can, at any time, copy the WMP12 .wpl playlist file from my computer to the SGP5 (I put it in the /mnt/sdcard/Playlists folder) and the stock music player will detect it and play it. However, it does not contain the correct entries (see error #2 below)

Errors
#1. The .pla playlist has some kind of underlying problem that prevents it from working correctly with the stock player. The first song will play properly and the second song plays properly, but once it reaches the end of the second song, it will replay the second song as if stuck in "Repeat 1" mode. Additionally, any attempt to forward to a different song (regardless of where I am currently playing in the playlist) and it will go back and start playing the second song again. If I delete the first entry in the playlist, it will repeat the error on the new second song. Deleting the actual song file makes no change. The error occurs regardless of the current play mode (Play All, Repeat All, Repeat 1). Oddly, if I turn shuffle on, the problem goes away. I confirmed that this error exists will multiple playlists and occurs regardless of whether the music & playlists are stored on the internal or the external memory.

#2. I viewed the WMP12 .wpl file with Notepad. It appears to be an .xml structure file that has translated ampersand symbols ("&") in music folder names or song titles into the text "&". Any song entry will the "&" text in it will not show up in the playlist on the SGP5 stock player. Also, any song entry that is missing the "cid" and "tid" tags won't show up in the playlist on the SGP5 stock player. It will also not show up in the playlist when the playlist is imported into PowerAMP. I'm not sure yet how to fix this issue.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 AM

Screw all that use WinAmp.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:20 AM

After many hours of troubleshooting, I finally decided to do a factory reset on my SGP5. Error #2 has gone away as a result. I believe I may have induced the original problem with some intense playing around with the stock player, Winamp, and PowerAMP (importing playlists, copying playlists, etc. to see how each player functions). I believe the error may have to do with messed up root tables as mentioned in this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/vie...p?f=12&t=63031.

The best way I've found so far to sync the SGP5 with WMP12 is to connect the SGP5 in Mass Storage mode and sync by dragging the playlist to the Sync tab. Then, using Windows Explorer, I copy the .wpl playlist file to /mnt/sdcard/Playlists. The entire playlist shows up and plays just fine in the stock player.

I've discovered a couple extra things in the process. If the SGP5 is connected to the computer in Media Player mode, there's no option not to convert as I sync: Any files not meeting my sync and quality criteria (bitrate, etc.) will be converted to a .wma file before syncing to the SGP5.

If I connect in Mass Storage mode, I do have the option not to convert as I sync. I prefer this method right now because it speeds up syncing and 99% of my media is compliant with the codecs on the SGP5.

WMP12 Sync Quality Options in Mass Storage Mode

I'll keep troubleshooting and eeking out the behavior of this new toy.

Last edited by Bob K; 01-22-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 PM

A little more troubleshooting.

I was able to repeat the playlist problem (error #2). If I select the option to let WMP12 convert music before syncing, it causes playlist problems in the .wpl playlist I manually copy to the SGP5. The actual music files are on the SGP5, but the playlist doesn't include all the songs. I was able to make the error go away by once again turning off the convert option. After erasing all the (converted) music files from the SGP5 and then resyncing them (without converting), the .wpl playlist then contains all of the correct entries.

So that's my long term syncing method. Operate the SGP5 in Mass storage mode, don't convert music before syncing, and manually copy the .wpl playlist over the the SGP. PowerAMP is also able to find the playlist and it has all the correct entries.

The bonus to syncing to the SGP5 in Mass Storage mode is that my Calibre ebook management software recognizes the SGP5. Calibre does not recognize the SGP5 when it is in Media Player mode...so I don't have to switch back and forth when syncing music and ebooks.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:33 PM

what I do now is copy the music via msc mode and then copy the playlist from the computer and it works. for some reason media player mode randomly disconnects and reconnects randomly when connected to the computer making it impossible to sync anything