android
Old 01-23-2012, 02:34 PM

tcat check the format of the books. I'll bet they are "azw". If so you can only read them with the Kindle reader app. I use it and it is a decent app. Other than breaking the azw to allow conversion to another format you are stuck.

scowl I copied this from the ereader.com site:
The eReader can read doc files. A doc file is a type of handheld file that ends in either .pdb or .prc. These text files have been specifically packaged for use on a handheld. Doc format is pretty much a standard for HANDHELD documents, and the latest version of the eReader can view them.
You have to use a reader app that will open the "pdb/prc" format or convert, if able, the format to a more generalized format such as epub. You can use "Calibre" as a desktop library to store your books and send them to a device or read them on your desktop/laptop.

Here are links to ereader and Calibre.
http://www.ereader.com/ereader/home.htm
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-23-2012, 04:07 PM

So epub is considered the most generalized ebook format?

I have hundreds of books in .pdb from years and years of reading them on my Palm Pilot. I actually need my credit card number to decrypt them!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
So epub is considered the most generalized ebook format?

I have hundreds of books in .pdb from years and years of reading them on my Palm Pilot. I actually need my credit card number to decrypt them!
It probably is the most common. I know that they will work on both my Nook Simple Touch and my iPod Touch....and I will try them on my SGP 5.0 when I get it to see if they work.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Great! I've had a feeling that I'd need to migrate these old files to something else sooner or later but every converter I've looked at eliminates the pictures and table of contents making them less useful.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Great! I've had a feeling that I'd need to migrate these old files to something else sooner or later but every converter I've looked at eliminates the pictures and table of contents making them less useful.
Calibre is pretty effective with the conversions, I've found....but obviously keep your originals backed up, just in case.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Calibre is a very nice program for a variety of ebook related tasks.
You can import book covers, change them, etc. You can convert the format to a very wide variety of formats.
Importing and changing metadata is also very easy.
It also connects to and reads most devices or you can use a generic device reader. As long as the device can be seen by the computer it is attached to as a storage drive with a letter, ie "J", it will be seen and you can manage the books on your reader via it if you like.

My GP5 reads epubs quite well. Of course the device itself does not read them but the reading apps I use, Mantano, Cool Read and Kindle reader work great to read the formats I use.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 AM

FWIW,

This website will convert many types of files to a different format; ie audio files, video files, and ebook files. I have used it numerous times, for instance, to convert pdf's. mobi, lit, files and such to epub files.

Have a Magical Day

Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 AM

Thanks! Converts a Kindle .prc file to epub. Only took like 15 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K O B O View Post
FWIW,
This website will convert many types of files to a different format; ie audio files, video files, and ebook files. I have used it numerous times, for instance, to convert pdf's. mobi, lit, files and such to epub files.
Have a Magical Day