android
Old 01-14-2012, 01:35 AM

Help Google Goggles - camera image flipped?

Has anyone tried Google Goggles on the SGP? I installed it on my 4.0 and the camera seems to be mirror-flipped with no option to change it.

There's an option to pipe photos from the default camera application to Google Goggles, but that's not an ideal solution. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to fix it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-14-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Mirrored in landscape

Yes, mine has the same behavior.
No fix here but I noticed that if you rotate to landscape mode the displayed image is upright, but mirror imaged. I have noticed this with some other Google products that use the camera. Particularly, the Google+ video chat feature (hangout). There it partly makes sense as most video chat software will mirror the image from the front facing camera that shows you what you look like, I guess to present the image you are used to seeing in the mirror. I guess they also assumed that you would want to video chat in landscape and didn't bother to make the additional processing tweaks that it would have taken to keep this from resulting in upside down images in portrait mode. Why this behavior made its way to Goggles and a few products seems a pretty big glitch.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 AM

This is so weird - I have the exact same problem with Google talk that I modified to do video chat, fine in landscape, flipped upside down in portrait. It must be something with these devices.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Anybody reading this have other android devices with front and rear cameras. It would be informative to learn if these anomalies are specific to SGP or plague other devices using goggles and video chat as well.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:03 PM

I have the same thing on my SGP 5 with Google Goggles - but it does not seem to effect the functioning of the app - it still goes out and gets the info on the image. This is the only app using the camera that I have found this with.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
This is so weird - I have the exact same problem with Google talk that I modified to do video chat, fine in landscape, flipped upside down in portrait. It must be something with these devices.
Things like this make you question Google's ability to execute software updates. Up until a couple of releases ago, everything was actually fine. They must have made an update to a shared library/toolkit because, as others have observed, any recent Google software that uses the camera now does this nonsense.

I have seen a few postings about similar problems with other devices but I haven't spent a great deal of time investigating. This is one of the few times when I've considered rooting and running something like Titanium backup so as to be able to restore software to a version that actually works...

Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 PM

If you hold the SGP in landscape position when taking the photo the image is right side up.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
If you hold the SGP in landscape position when taking the photo the image is right side up.
Yeah, it is only in the preview mode that the image is flipped/mirrored. Once you snap it for Google goggle analysis, it displays the image in normal orientation. This is true in either landscape or portrait.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
Yeah, it is only in the preview mode that the image is flipped/mirrored. Once you snap it for Google goggle analysis, it displays the image in normal orientation. This is true in either landscape or portrait.
On my SGP 5 using Google Goggles -if I hold the camera in landscape position the preview on the screen is right side up - not flipped. It is only when I hold the camera in portrait position that the preview image is flipped.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
On my SGP 5 using Google Goggles -if I hold the camera in landscape position the preview on the screen is right side up - not flipped. It is only when I hold the camera in portrait position that the preview image is flipped.
Look closely at the image and I believe you will find it is mirrored in landscape and flipped in portrait. If this is not the case, I am very interested in which version of Google goggles you are using.

I am also still interested in hearing from someone that has a tablet or other device to find out if this problem is universal with Google goggles or specific to our SGPs.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 AM

You are right- it is mirrored. I never noticed that. Interesting.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 PM

Still have not heard from anyone with a tablet or other device to learn if this universal with goggles or just our SGPs. Anyone....

Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 PM

An update came out for Goggles... which hasn't fixed the problem. The bug should probably be reported to Google, by taking the feedback survey under the "help" menu in the app. The barcode scanner app does not have this problem, but alas, it also doesn't have all the functionality of Goggles.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:05 AM

I reported it from within the app already, but it wouldn't hurt if you all did too My experience with the Google support forum has been invariably negative in the past though, so don't hold your breath!