android
Old 01-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Default WiFi Open Site Welcome Screens

I have noticed that my SGP5 will not open with the Welcome Screen at various places that have Open WiFi access and Welcome Screens.

Two examples are the University of Minnesota's Guest Unsecured and my local county Library. Also a few coffee shops.

I can connect, but the SGP5's browser just attempts to load directly the Home Page, and the Dolphin Mini browser will attempt to load any page I select (both unsuccessfully). Neither go directly to the Welcome screen like my laptop and Polaroid 7" tablet does.

At other open places like the local shopping mall that has various Open Access sites without the Welcome Screens work fine.

I have tried various settings in both browsers, but did not see anything that may be causing it, and I did Google this issue and did not see anything relating to any device. I also did talk to one of the folks at the county library and he said that he has seen this before but did not know the cause.

Any suggestions?

tnx
George

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2012, 03:34 PM

I think you are talking about those networks that make you go to a page where you accept there terms or whatever before giving you access. If so,I have accessed such open networks at hotel lobbies and sandwich shops with no problem on my SGP5. I usually use Dolphin HD and it seems to handle this just fine, but the others should as well. Perhaps there is a browser setting that needs to be adjusted.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:18 PM

I have been able to access and log on through two wifi network sites like this with the stock browser. Go first to the wifi settings and make sure the correct site is connecting - and then open the browser.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:39 PM

Well, the sight is correct and the SGP5 says it's connected, but opening the browser just attempts to open the Home Page that the browser is set to which it can't because I am suppose to be redirected to the Welcome (Access) screen of the WiFi AP I'm connected to.

I did not see anything in the SGP5 default browser that would appear to be preventing this, and the only thing I see in Dolphin Mini is maybe the "User Agent" setting which is set to Android (default). I did not try it as "Desktop" because I would expect the stock browser is set as Android and it doesn't work.

My Polaroid tablet is running 2.3.1 and it connects fine to these kind of AP's.

I'll keep poking around and if I find the answer I'll post it here in case someone else has this problem.

George

Edit: One after thought here. On my home Belkin N300 router (also the DLink 524 I have) for some strange reason I had to set the SGP5 to a Static IP for it to connect, my Polaroid tablet and my laptop connect fine being left on Dynamic IP addressing. When using the SGP5 on AP's away from home that are "Open" it connects and opens browser web sites fine being left on the same Static IP as I use at home, but yet it can't/won't open the Welcome Screens on those AP's that have them. Could it be that maybe I would have to turn off the "Static IP" in the SGP5 and go back to Dynamic for these? I would think that if the issue is with the Static IP that I would not be able to connect to the AP in the first place, which it does.

??

Last edited by GeorgeP1111; 01-26-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 PM

Yup, the problem accessing AP's that have Welcome (Login) screens is due to my having the SGP5 set to a Static IP. After spending a half hour on the phone with the tech department at the UofM and another half hour with Samsung Support it looked like there was a problem with my SGP5 as neither have ever heard of someone with the problem I had. So I returned my player and got another one. One the way home I stopped by the local county library and sure enough it connected and brought up their login screen fine. I went home and again I had to set the SGP5 to Static IP to get it to stay connected to my Belkin N300 for more than the repeating 65 seconds (my DLink-524 does the same). I then went back to the library and this time it responded just like my previous player (no login screen). I when into the WiFi Settings and turned off the Static IP, reconnected to the library's AP and the Login came up when I started the browser. Problem Solved!!

So just thought I'd post my findings in case someone else has this same issue.

George